X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but... How have you not been blasted by the Anti-bot software
    Why would he be? His IP address is the Philippines but he hasn't done anything to identify as a bot. If he does, use the report button and I am positive a moderator will respond as warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      New Joker trailer: https://youtu.be/_pk-qMdR9Lo
      Umm... I'm intrigued by this trailer but it feels like this was written for Heath Ledger's Joker/Nolan's Batman Universe. It doesn't tie into the current DC Universe, and Joaquin Phoenix, while appearing to do a hell of a job in the scenes used for the trailer, just doesn't quite *feel* like Ledger. The winks and nods with the masks, suit styling, and Chicago-esque Gotham are just... *chef's kiss* though.

I think I'm gonna wait for HBO streaming unfortunately. Unless I can be persuaded otherwise with follow up trailers.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Umm... I'm intrigued by this trailer but it feels like this was written for Heath Ledger's Joker/Nolan's Batman Universe. It doesn't tie into the current DC Universe, and Joaquin Phoenix, while appearing to do a hell of a job in the scenes used for the trailer, just doesn't quite *feel* like Ledger. The winks and nods with the masks, suit styling, and Chicago-esque Gotham are just... *chef's kiss* though.

I think I'm gonna wait for HBO streaming unfortunately. Unless I can be persuaded otherwise with follow up trailers.
        I would tend to agree.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

**** that looks good
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            **** that looks good
            I love how the most recent Jokers have gone pure psychopath, totally nuts in a calculated way, etc. Stone. F*ing. Cold.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              New Joker trailer: https://youtu.be/_pk-qMdR9Lo
              Looks good to me. That's the tap in to the sad clown tradition I wanted to see.

Ledger's Joker just wanted to see the world burn and that was entertaining but sterile. I prefer the sad clown pushed over the edge who has An Important Moral Lesson in store for humanity. That's the guy I root for. You folks will just have to take your punishment -- you know what you did.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think the Phoenix version is tremendously appealing and I look forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Looks good to me. That's the tap in to the sad clown tradition I wanted to see.

Ledger's Joker just wanted to see the world burn and that was entertaining but sterile. I prefer the sad clown pushed over the edge who has An Important Moral Lesson in store for humanity. That's the guy I root for. You folks will just have to take your punishment -- you know what you did.
                  Yes! And iirc their are several DC comics that use that plot line. I need to re-read The Killing Joke because it may have been part of the plot of that book...it’s been 20 years since i’ve Read it.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Why would he be? His IP address is the Philippines but he hasn't done anything to identify as a bot. If he does, use the report button and I am positive a moderator will respond as warranted.
                    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Wut?
                    IDK. If it is a real person, I whole heartedly apologize. The posts just seem "off" if you read through them however.

They are all single sentence replies. Scary part is that they are sort of relevant to the discussion at hand. Like I said, they are "off" but somewhat coherent. Shows how far AI has come I guess

**returns to tin-foil castle**
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

IDK. If it is a real person, I whole heartedly apologize. The posts just seem "off" if you read through them however.

They are all single sentence replies. Scary part is that they are sort of relevant to the discussion at hand. Like I said, they are "off" but somewhat coherent. Shows how far AI has come I guess

**returns to tin-foil castle**
                      Listen, if simple-minded but still slightly-related posts got you banned as a bot, Drew would have been gone years ago.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

It literally has zero to do with Ledger's Joker. It takes place in 1981 Ledger's Joker wouldnt have even been born yet. Nolan's story is done and will never be touched upon again. I doubt Phoenix's Joker even survives the film.

This is a standalone story that is meant to be a character study in how someone like that could come about. He isnt scarred or burned by acid...he is just a guy who completely breaks with reality because society is destroying him. Outside of the "failed comedian" part (which is one of like 12 origins for the Joker only used in really one story and has always been a "possible origin" as the Joker lies about it all the time and DC never wants there to really be one) and the names of characters it has nothing to do with anything comic related or any current stories in universe. This is Todd Phillips wanting to do Taxi Driver only instead he is using it to show one man's decent into madness.

The nice thing is the budget was almost nothing...and it is making the film festival rounds and getting lots of awards hype. Phillips has tried to get WB to do more of these one off character studies for this genre, and if this does well I cant see why they wouldnt.
                        Last edited by Handyman; 08-29-2019, 10:54 AM.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          It literally has zero to do with Ledger's Joker. It takes place in 1981 Ledger's Joker wouldnt have even been born yet. Nolan's story is done and will never be touched upon again. I doubt Phoenix's Joker even survives the film.

This is a standalone story that is meant to be a character study in how someone like that could come about. He isnt scarred or burned by acid...he is just a guy who completely breaks with reality because society is destroying him. Outside of the "failed comedian" part (which is one of like 12 origins for the Joker only used in really one story and has always been a "possible origin" as the Joker lies about it all the time and DC never wants there to really be one) and the names of characters it has nothing to do with anything comic related or any current stories in universe. This is Todd Phillips wanting to do Taxi Driver only instead he is using it to show one man's decent into madness.

The nice thing is the budget was almost nothing...and it is making the film festival rounds and getting lots of awards hype. Phillips has tried to get WB to do more of these one off character studies for this genre, and if this does well I cant see why they wouldnt.
                          I want this to have minimal references to DC comics if at all possible. I want this to be a dissection of just a single character. I think Joaquin and Todd Phillips are on the right track with what has been shown so far. I feel that referencing anything from the Batman mythos (outside of general, large scale references like taking place in Gotham City) would be a detractor. You can maybe put a rundown ACE CHEMICAL billboard somewhere in the background, but even those kind of nods need to be one-off. I want this to be Juaquin's role to run with and that's it.
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I want this to have minimal references to DC comics if at all possible. I want this to be a dissection of just a single character. I think Joaquin and Todd Phillips are on the right track with what has been shown so far. I feel that referencing anything from the Batman mythos (outside of general, large scale references like taking place in Gotham City) would be a detractor. You can maybe put a rundown ACE CHEMICAL billboard somewhere in the background, but even those kind of nods need to be one-off. I want this to be Juaquin's role to run with and that's it.
                            One hundred percent agree. The clown car comic movie approach is over. The most interesting movies now are the one-star movies. Maybe they always have been. Nolan didn’t do much of the Assemble! stuff that should be buried with Stark (spoiler alert).

Find an interesting character and explore it.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I want this to have minimal references to DC comics if at all possible. I want this to be a dissection of just a single character.
                              I agree with this approach. And it is a way to pull comic book movies out of the mouthbreathing Comic Book Guy set and join them to larger Americana culture. The Joker is a cool character if done right. Comic book characterization is our Comedia del Arte (if that makes you scared and angry then it's our pro wrestling). Simple emotional themes embodied in characters who are then put into interesting configurations. Stan Lee is our Sophocles.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Good Lord. Sometimes a movie is just a movie and not a film.

Comment

Working...
                                X