X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Oh man I didn’t like the post at all. It was the most mediocre movie I think I’ve ever seen. There was nothing to like or hate.

It just was.
    As I was watching it, my review started coming to fruition. If it was JUST that movie, and that movie alone? Meh. It was okay. Partnered with "President's" (unintentionally or not) made it better. You got the whole story, from all sides (reporters to politicians to newspaper editors) in one streamlined story.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If wasn’t meant as a prequel. They’re two standalone movies that happened to be chronologically related. Apollo.11 wasn’t a prequel to Apollo 13.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If wasn’t meant as a prequel. They’re two standalone movies that happened to be chronologically related. Apollo.11 wasn’t a prequel to Apollo 13.
        Gotcha. I didn't hear too much about "The Post" but was interested in it. That's really cool that it was so seamless in the continuation of the story, then.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

That is, generally, how non-fiction works
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

That is, generally, how non-fiction works
            Some non-fiction sets themselves up for sequels/prequels directly referencing another movie, though. Even "non-fiction" movies play with the facts. Quite often, honestly. "Based on," etc.

And this movie seemingly gave a direct nod to "President's" at the end, which made me wonder....

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              It wasn't huge in the 70s. It was one of the first games that came loaded on Apple IIs that hit secondary schools. That started on the coasts in 1980 and god knows when they actually brought them out to flyover... by Conestoga wagon, presumably.
              Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              What year? Here is the game history. If it was "Oregon Trail" it could not have been before 1980. If it was "Oregon" the earliest you could have seen it was 1978 (which admittedly is 2 years earlier than I thought), but even then the game history says it was rare until "the mid 80s".

I remember seeing it for the first time at the computer lab at Cornell in 1982 and nobody else had ever seen it, which would be surprising given that those people had been building computers in their garages since junior high school.

I am presuming MN had electricity by 1978.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                an explosion of babies born in the years after WW2 ended
                That's fair. Let's adjust the spans:

03-22 (21) Lost
                22-45 (23) Silent
                45-70 (25) Boomer
                70-97 (27) X
                97-26 (29) Millenial
                26-57 (31) whatever the next one is (hasn't even started yet, so we shouldn't assume the 31 either, it may decrease again)

Here is the table of births in the US:

If the defining characteristic for Boomer is being part of the enormous baby boom (which makes sense) the boom's last crest before it began to fall back to pre-war levels was... oh, look at that. 1970.

Your numbers of the relative sizes of the generations is off because they don't use those (and is also complicated by immigration totals which, while they count, are also introducing a whole other bunch of stuff).

"Generation" is a classic reification. Useful for analysis but not a real thing.
                Last edited by Kepler; 09-20-2019, 01:32 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  I was playing the game in elementary school in 86 so...yeah.

It is funny how out of touch Kepler truly is though. He needs to Google stuff more before he opens his mouth and inserts his foot
                  I was playing at school in 85 - vivid memory

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    The Post:

A good prequel to "All The President's Men," IMO. Outstanding cast, MANY recognizable names/faces, even if not "A-List." Yes, more than a few jabs at the current state of affairs, and they are more than justified. Very much worth a watch.
                    As a movie it was good. As a portrayal of facts it was so far off base you’d think they tried to obscure the how and why. McNamara never met Katherine, and Ellsberg being really an after thought was criminal. And there’s more omissions etc but I digress
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      I was playing the game in elementary school in 86 so...yeah.

It is funny how out of touch Kepler truly is though. He needs to Google stuff more before he opens his mouth and inserts his foot
                      The whole argument was it wasn't big in the 70s. You playing in 86 makes perfect sense. Perhaps you should read just a little closer.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        It wasn't huge in the 70s. It was one of the first games that came loaded on Apple IIs that hit secondary schools. That started on the coasts in 1980 and god knows when they actually brought them out to flyover... by Conestoga wagon, presumably.
                        I got married in June 83, and bought (on credit) an Apple IIe earlier that year. Bought a printer in 84 for printing the household accounts and since we had little kids, bought "Stickybear Bop" for them and the original "Flight Simulator" for me. The accounting program I found via a shareware ad in PC magazine

Sometime in 85/86 bought an IBM knock off and assembled it myself. That came with a 20 MB!! hard drive and 640K of memory with a monochrome monitor.

Never played Oregon Trail but remember it.

I'm a 1955 BY.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          The whole argument was it wasn't big in the 70s. You playing in 86 makes perfect sense. Perhaps you should read just a little closer.
                          No genius...we are mocking you cause the game was made in Minnesota. (MECC...what do you suppose the M means)

You tried so hard to mock Minnesota and used a game made here to prove your point.

Go back and read all the posts not just your own...it helps.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

No genius...we are mocking you cause the game was made in Minnesota. (MECC...what do you suppose the M means)

You tried so hard to mock Minnesota and used a game made here to prove your point.

Go back and read all the posts not just your own...it helps.
                            No, I was joking about Minnesota and flyover the way I always joke, because you people think I actually think flyover vs coast matters.

Here's a clue: I'll say this just once to put all my slams of flyover past and future in context. Being literal spoils the joke a little but it's warranted.

I don't care. I don't care where you're from. It doesn't matter. But the constant whining and sensitivity from flyovers thinking coasties care is what's hilarious. We never once think about it. We know it doesn't matter.

It's just like the Ivies. Nobody who ever attended an Ivy and deserved to be there (so let's rule out legacies and donors) has ever slammed a non-Ivy because it was non-Ivy. We don't care and we know it doesn't matter. But the resentment and anger and bitterness of people who think we care and think we lord it over them is so funny it is impossible not to mock it.

You bring it on yourselves because you're the ones who actually think it matters. We never, ever think you are rubes, so, when you act like rubes... it's just so deliciously ironic we have to make a joke about it. You're the ones keeping it alive. The second you pass to another topic we're all the same again. If only you could just get over your stupid preconception.

Please, cut this explanation out and post it next to your computers, next to the milking stand. The joke, whenever I (and I suspect every other coastie, ever) joke about coast vs flyover, isn't coast vs flyover.

It's your fragility about it.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 09-20-2019, 07:59 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Yeah and we pointed out you were wrong...like you always are.

Do you get paid by the word btw? Good lord man
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Do you get paid by the word btw? Good lord man
                                We don't ration them on the coast. You know, like money.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X