• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Hold the mutha ffffffff ing presses....

Coming 2 America
    Welcome to 6 months ago

It: Chapter One or Mike Wheeler, Freddy Freeman and the Cast of The Sandlot Go on a Goonie Adventure on Elm Street!

I found myself not liking this as much as I thought I would. The kids are fantastic, they do a great job time travelling back to 1989 but the story itself is just so...meh. Maybe because it feels like every other Stephen King story is shoved into It at some point (hey that gang of jerks is like Stand By Me!) but it just felt like there was a lot of extraneous things going on which I think works great in books but not in movies. I found myself zoning out a bit during parts. I cant quite explain it because a lot of the movie I liked (especially any part with Pennywise) but even though I liked the kids none of their stories outside of Bill's and Beverly's really mattered. (hell Stanley serves zero purpose to the story nor does Mike outside his gun) Overall though them as a group offsets any of the issues I had with the story because they work so well together. And Pennywise is great in every scene he is in.

Actors: A
    Sets/References: A
    Story: C+
    Overall: B/B+

Seeing Chapter 2 today.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I do like how this version keeps it chronological, as opposed to the book/Tim Curry version. It's a complex story, with all the different issues with the kids' backgrounds/etc.

Not that I want to give Hollywood any ideas, but imagine an origin story for Pennywise...
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I thought about that (as I am sure King has) and it could be fun but it would probably be too much. Pennywise works because he isnt in too much of the film. My problem with Chapter One is they needed a bit more of him. (or make his scenes a bit denser) Problem is sounds like he is in less of 2 so hopefully the story is better.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I thought about that (as I am sure King has) and it could be fun but it would probably be too much. Pennywise works because he isnt in too much of the film. My problem with Chapter One is they needed a bit more of him. (or make his scenes a bit denser) Problem is sounds like he is in less of 2 so hopefully the story is better.
          I liken him to the Joker. You can do ANYTHING with him, because the background is so mysterious. I thought the amount of Pennywise in the first was about right, mayyyyybe could have used him a little more, but not much. Don't want to overdo it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            I liken him to the Joker. You can do ANYTHING with him, because the background is so mysterious. I thought the amount of Pennywise in the first was about right, mayyyyybe could have used him a little more, but not much. Don't want to overdo it.
            Honestly it was probably more of the spacing of his scenes...I dunno tough to explain I guess.
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Honestly it was probably more of the spacing of his scenes...I dunno tough to explain I guess.
              I hear ya.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                I do like how this version keeps it chronological, as opposed to the book/Tim Curry version. It's a complex story, with all the different issues with the kids' backgrounds/etc.

Not that I want to give Hollywood any ideas, but imagine an origin story for Pennywise...
                The book worked better with it jumping back and forth, IMO, but I can see how for a movie changing it up could help the flow. Apples and oranges, ultimately.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Chapter 2:

Ummm...well...I would say it is about 2/3rds a good film. The first third is interesting because of where the characters are, the 2nd third is a snoozefest and the last third is pretty dang good. I didnt like most of the adult versions of the characters (especially Chastain who just didnt pull off being weak and vulnerable she has way too much presence) outside of Eddie and Richie...and to a much lesser extent Mikey.

I think between the 2 films there is an excellent 4-4.5 hour film but as it is I am not sure it worked. I didnt hate either of them, but I also have zero desire to ever watch them again nor would I watch another one if it was made. The kids are the best part with Pennywise also quite good but otherwise...I dunno I just never really found a reason to get drawn into the films. Every time you almost get there the films find a way to pull you out.

I give the second chapter a B-.
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Chapter 2:

Ummm...well...I would say it is about 2/3rds a good film. The first third is interesting because of where the characters are, the 2nd third is a snoozefest and the last third is pretty dang good. I didnt like most of the adult versions of the characters (especially Chastain who just didnt pull off being weak and vulnerable she has way too much presence) outside of Eddie and Richie...and to a much lesser extent Mikey.

I think between the 2 films there is an excellent 4-4.5 hour film but as it is I am not sure it worked. I didnt hate either of them, but I also have zero desire to ever watch them again nor would I watch another one if it was made. The kids are the best part with Pennywise also quite good but otherwise...I dunno I just never really found a reason to get drawn into the films. Every time you almost get there the films find a way to pull you out.

I give the second chapter a B-.
                    Good to know. I was (at first) surprised that they made it two parts, but given the length of one movie? Okay. But then they made two really long movies. I'm fine with that if they can make it worth it. However.....

Comment

Joker won Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. (I guess that is like Best Picture) Apparently this caused some on Twitter to meltdown
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        Good to know. I was (at first) surprised that they made it two parts, but given the length of one movie? Okay. But then they made two really long movies. I'm fine with that if they can make it worth it. However.....
                        The audio book is 44 hours. 5 hours is a breeze.

Comment

Joker won Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. (I guess that is like Best Picture) Apparently this caused some on Twitter to meltdown
                          Twitter is always having a meltdown.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Twitter is always having a meltdown.
                            I know but this is setting off that section of Twitter you and I love so much (The "Safe Zone" crowd) along with some wannabe film nerds who have been speculating for months the movie was awful and going to fail. Since the Festival started they have been on Suicide Watch, in complete denial about how good the film is being reviewed (and trying to get people mad because Joker does bad things to people) and now I guess they have gone off the rails. I plan to review the horror later
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I really hope this movie is as good as some are saying it is. With Scorsese producing and the evidence in the trailers it appears to be a taxi driver type movie.

A cautionary/psychological downward spiral would be great. I know some people are apoplectic at the notion of sympathizing with Arthur Fleck but ****, that’s been in the comics forever.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Scorsese was not a producer. Originally he was going to but The Irishman made that impossible.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X