X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    This is what happens with all the great characters of fiction after they have been around long enough. Hamlet. Dracula. Jesus.
    Dracula is a sort of gray area, since he was supposedly based on Vlad The Impaler. Take it with a grain of salt, though. I think your point still stands.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      This is what happens with all the great characters of fiction after they have been around long enough. Hamlet. Dracula. Jesus.
      Jesus is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed hedge fund manager who packs heat and speaks with a Southern twang.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        Dracula is a sort of gray area, since he was supposedly based on Vlad The Impaler. Take it with a grain of salt, though. I think your point still stands.
        All three characters have hazy relationships to actual historical people which have been obscured by over-the-top fictional treatments.
        Last edited by Kepler; 08-31-2019, 09:34 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Jesus is a blonde-haired, blue-eyed hedge fund manager who packs heat and speaks with a Southern twang.
          No southern twang in this version:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYLugke-GiQ

Just a warning, it turns into a NSFW gore parody...
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

From the sounds of it Joker killed it in Venice at the festival. The twitter reactions from the audience and press seem to praise it pretty highly. (including applause at one of the critics screenings if I read right) I got a feeling the movie is going to be awesome...and hated by the Twitter Nazis. (it already is by some because apparently it is shocking that The Joker is a villain who does evil things!)
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well, i’m Digging the new Terminator trailer: https://youtu.be/bNzdzEQy5jQ

So over the top
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

I saw Aquarela today. Might be my first film with no dialogue.
                Visually stunning

Comment

The first Lego Movie. I forgot how AWESOME this movie is.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I think I've said this before, but I'm not a comic book guy. I saw the Nolan trilogy and liked it. I saw the first Iron Man movie after some prodding from MTU friends and liked it, but didn't follow-up with the sequels.

Seeing the trailers for Joker, I'm pretty interested.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I think I've said this before, but I'm not a comic book guy. I saw the Nolan trilogy and liked it. I saw the first Iron Man movie after some prodding from MTU friends and liked it, but didn't follow-up with the sequels.

Seeing the trailers for Joker, I'm pretty interested.
                      Gravy training on your post:

The first 2 Supermans (DONNER CUT FTW)
                      Nolan Batmans (the Nicholson Batman was ok for its time, same with the Burt Ward, I suppose)
                      Kick-A* (first one only)
                      Deadpool (good God, those rule)
                      Wonder Woman
                      (also didn't know that Kick and Dead were comic books when I saw those movies)

Aquaman was a'ight, Justice League the same. Saw those out of curiosity more than anything else. Certainly not fandom.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

As I said, I saw all the Nolan Batmans. First two were great - third was just fine.

Kick-A55 - first was ok-ish, never bothered with the sequels. Especially after a friend told me that the romantic aspect was super-Hollywood and that she actually rejected him (good for her).

Same for Iron Man.

Deadpool - meh.

Comment

I love the Joker trailer, and 90% of the reviews leave me eager to watch. Then there’s the Time Magazine review (albeit by someone who doesn’t hide the fact that he’s nursing some kind of resentment against Phoenix... “But the aggressive terribleness of his performance isn’t completely his fault.”...) that makes me wonder if it’s an illusion of a good movie, or a brilliant character study...
                          I used to love the Detective comics when I was a kid. The Joker was very complex character (at least in certain Specials), and it appears the movie does that justice.
                          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            I love the Joker trailer, and 90% of the reviews leave me eager to watch. Then there’s the Time Magazine review (albeit by someone who doesn’t hide the fact that he’s nursing some kind of resentment against Phoenix... “But the aggressive terribleness of his performance isn’t completely his fault.”...) that makes me wonder if it’s an illusion of a good movie, or a brilliant character study...
                            I used to love the Detective comics when I was a kid. The Joker was very complex character (at least in certain Specials), and it appears the movie does that justice.
                            There is always that one critic....
                            Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              It is possible, but with the sheer amount of 5 star reviews (I think its average score is like 9.15 out of 10 or something) out there I kind of doubt it. Some people arent gonna like the film and she was definitely going to be one of them. (not that that makes her opinion any less valid)

The trades love it, the more mainstream geek press loves it and it seems the audience in Venice loved it. For now I will believe she is the outlier. Reviewers are what they are its why I dont put much stock in them whether they like a film or not.

Oh and Deadpool 1 is great...Deadpool 2 was mediocre and the farther away from seeing it I am the less I like it.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                It is possible, but with the sheer amount of 5 star reviews (I think its average score is like 9.15 out of 10 or something) out there I kind of doubt it. Some people arent gonna like the film and she was definitely going to be one of them. (not that that makes her opinion any less valid)

The trades love it, the more mainstream geek press loves it and it seems the audience in Venice loved it. For now I will believe she is the outlier. Reviewers are what they are its why I dont put much stock in them whether they like a film or not.

Oh and Deadpool 1 is great...Deadpool 2 was mediocre and the farther away from seeing it I am the less I like it.
                                I agree there is the one person that does their own thing.

As far as Deadpool, is 2 as good as 1? No. Part of Deadpool 1 is the element of WTeff? Now that you expect it, it loses some luster. DP2 is still good, but not even close to the level of DP1.

Comment

Working...
                                X