Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    He also doesnít remember MECC, the creator of the game. Iím not gonna mention what the M stands for...
    Ha! Came to post the full name and saw your post.

I am an '82 kid. Our Apple IIe computer lab was part of a grant to put technology into the hand of rural school kids and we got to use them starting in 1991. And only the school system, or rich parents, had computers. And even then it was dialup until 2000 or so (unless you were at the school).

I didn't get a cell phone until 2003, three years into college. The fanciest piece of technology in my home was our VCR and DirecTV receiver (and we didn't get DirecTV until '97).

I grew up playing outside. I played county sponsored summer sports where we **** well always had a losing team. I don't fit with the Millenial description fully.

My brother, a '92, does. He grew up with all that technology always available to him. He never knew about dialup. He had a cell phone throughout HS. His summer baseball league never tracked wins or losses. The Internet of Things has always been intertwined in his life.

Yes, generations are just fancy labels to make us feel "good" or sell is sh**, but the dates vary by our experiences. I would absolutely agree that for coasties and large population centers, Millenials start at '80.

For flyover, it depends, but I'd blur it to be closer to 84/85.

I fit more with "Empire Records." My brother is more "Superbad."
    Last edited by aparch; 09-19-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    What year?
    At worst 8th grade which would be 1980 but I am 99% sure I saw it by 6th. Might have even been prior to using a monitor but rather it was 'seen' on a dot matrix printer.

Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

I remember when my best friend had the first Apple and playing some Decathlon game. We could play that until the wee hours if not checked. Then an Atari, then...

What will be the next "aha!" tech moment for a generation in which everything is taken for granted?

[edit] That friend implored me to learn Basic language and the next (c something?) coding and at the time I just wanted to play sports and meet girls. He graduated hs early and eventually wrote a real estate program that he sold for millions and is now retired in AZ. I hate him to this day for not being more convincing.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-19-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

I was playing the game in elementary school in 86 so...yeah.

It is funny how out of touch Kepler truly is though. He needs to Google stuff more before he opens his mouth and inserts his foot
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post

It is funny how out of touch Kepler truly is though. He needs to Google stuff more before he opens his mouth and inserts his foot
    And your point about F500 is huge. You may flyover is but it's quite likely you didn't something unholy or

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    My favorite story along those lines is the music guy at the last winter Olympics playing that song as the US celebrated. In South Korea. With the words "sent me off to a foreign land, to go and kill the yellow man" blasting out on the PA system.
    Holy ****. No way. Thatís HILARIOUS.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    You might want to look at where some of the big tech firms kept offices. Rochester, MN, was known for two companies until about 20 years ago - Mayo Clinics and IBM. One was founded there, and the other located a giant campus there because of the level of education in that city. Big Blue has since dwindled its numbers in Rochester to just a couple thousand, but it certainly was a big influencer at one point.

Also, MN has between 17 and 19 companies on the Fortune 500 list at any given time, based upon stock prices on a given day. We're far from the dearth of information and tech that you like to think or pretend. We're not North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin.
    Doesnít it have the highest number Of F500 or even F100 companies per capita outside of New York?

I almost hate advertising Minnesota. We donít need the coasties to come in and ruin the twin cities.

Never Forget!

Not at all. X just hasn't entered into their period of primary influence yet. Let's say they are '63-'83 (they can't cheat by artificially shortening the generation interval and then crying paucity of numbers). That means right now they are 36-56 years old. That isn't even sniffing power.

IIRC this is the first year in which Gen Xers outnumber Boomers. Go X's time is just arriving.

Everything until now is strictly the Boomers' fault. It will be for a while yet because of momentum, like the few months of a new administration really belong to the old one. But X coming into their own now. They are about to be at fault.

Also: Gen Xers aren't that much smaller in terms of a generation of native births. Even though the Boomers were larger they weren't ridiculously larger. And even tough family planning has helped women step off the baby machine treadmill the Silent Generation also had family planning. They even had -- gasp -- abortion. It wasn't legal but they did it all the time.

But if you insist on this BS granfaloon... if you are really going to insist on "generation" as something demographically meaningful then a generational interval should be equal in length to the median age at which a woman has her middle child. That used to be 20 in the 19th century. It moved up to around 25 by the mid 20th century. I suspect right now that means a generation is about 30 years.

The "real" generations are probably, roughly:

98-17 (21) Lost
    17-40 (23) Silent
    40-65 (25) Boomer
    65-92 (27) X
    92-21 (29) Millenial
    21-52 (31) Z

And if that's the case X is now 27-54 years old. Still just kids with no power at all.

But of course generations aren't real. They are labels used for people to sell you sh-t by appealing to your vanity and oppositional identity formation. They're almost as dumb as races. "There's no youth culture, only masks they let you rent."
    That doesn't work.

The reason the babies born from 1946-1964 are the baby boomers is because there was an explosion of babies born in the years after WW2 ended. That just wasn't true during the war, and certainly not during the Depression. The birth rate in 1935 was only 187/10000. In 1940 it was still only 194/10000 and 1945 204/10000. In 1946 it jumped to 233/10000. It would peak in the 50's at over 250/10000 and would not drop down to under 200/10000 until (drumroll please) 1965. That's why the generation is called the Baby Boomers.

Also, even NOW the Baby Boomers vastly outnumber Generation X. As of 2016:

Millennials: 79.4M
    Baby Boomers: 75.5M
    Gen Z: 73.6M
    Generation X: 65.7

We've simply never had the numbers, and we never will. Sorry, but the world is ****ed up in spite of us, not because of us.
    Last edited by ticapnews; 09-19-2019 at 07:55 PM.

The Post:

A good prequel to "All The President's Men," IMO. Outstanding cast, MANY recognizable names/faces, even if not "A-List." Yes, more than a few jabs at the current state of affairs, and they are more than justified. Very much worth a watch.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

Oh man I didnít like the post at all. It was the most mediocre movie I think Iíve ever seen. There was nothing to like or hate.

It just was.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Oh man I didnít like the post at all. It was the most mediocre movie I think Iíve ever seen. There was nothing to like or hate.

It just was.
    As I was watching it, my review started coming to fruition. If it was JUST that movie, and that movie alone? Meh. It was okay. Partnered with "President's" (unintentionally or not) made it better. You got the whole story, from all sides (reporters to politicians to newspaper editors) in one streamlined story.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Lucia Apologist

If wasnít meant as a prequel. Theyíre two standalone movies that happened to be chronologically related. Apollo.11 wasnít a prequel to Apollo 13.

If wasnít meant as a prequel. Theyíre two standalone movies that happened to be chronologically related. Apollo.11 wasnít a prequel to Apollo 13.
    Gotcha. I didn't hear too much about "The Post" but was interested in it. That's really cool that it was so seamless in the continuation of the story, then.

Lucia Apologist

That is, generally, how non-fiction works

That is, generally, how non-fiction works
    Some non-fiction sets themselves up for sequels/prequels directly referencing another movie, though. Even "non-fiction" movies play with the facts. Quite often, honestly. "Based on," etc.

And this movie seemingly gave a direct nod to "President's" at the end, which made me wonder....

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

It wasn't huge in the 70s. It was one of the first games that came loaded on Apple IIs that hit secondary schools. That started on the coasts in 1980 and god knows when they actually brought them out to flyover... by Conestoga wagon, presumably.
    What year? Here is the game history. If it was "Oregon Trail" it could not have been before 1980. If it was "Oregon" the earliest you could have seen it was 1978 (which admittedly is 2 years earlier than I thought), but even then the game history says it was rare until "the mid 80s".

I remember seeing it for the first time at the computer lab at Cornell in 1982 and nobody else had ever seen it, which would be surprising given that those people had been building computers in their garages since junior high school.

I am presuming MN had electricity by 1978.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    an explosion of babies born in the years after WW2 ended
    That's fair. Let's adjust the spans:

03-22 (21) Lost
    22-45 (23) Silent
    45-70 (25) Boomer
    70-97 (27) X
    97-26 (29) Millenial
    26-57 (31) whatever the next one is (hasn't even started yet, so we shouldn't assume the 31 either, it may decrease again)

Here is the table of births in the US:

If the defining characteristic for Boomer is being part of the enormous baby boom (which makes sense) the boom's last crest before it began to fall back to pre-war levels was... oh, look at that. 1970.

Your numbers of the relative sizes of the generations is off because they don't use those (and is also complicated by immigration totals which, while they count, are also introducing a whole other bunch of stuff).

"Generation" is a classic reification. Useful for analysis but not a real thing.
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-20-2019 at 01:32 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

I was playing at school in 85 - vivid memory

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    The Post:

A good prequel to "All The President's Men," IMO. Outstanding cast, MANY recognizable names/faces, even if not "A-List." Yes, more than a few jabs at the current state of affairs, and they are more than justified. Very much worth a watch.
    As a movie it was good. As a portrayal of facts it was so far off base youíd think they tried to obscure the how and why. McNamara never met Katherine, and Ellsberg being really an after thought was criminal. And thereís more omissions etc but I digress

The whole argument was it wasn't big in the 70s. You playing in 86 makes perfect sense. Perhaps you should read just a little closer.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Thread Information