Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.57: We Should Have Voted for Zaphod Beeblebrox Instead.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POTUS 45.57: We Should Have Voted for Zaphod Beeblebrox Instead.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Now imagine we just elect the president by popular vote, full stop.
    HA! Can you imagine? That's just what we need. Imagine a civilized country just letting the MOB of COMMON RABBLE go out and vote for someone like... like...

wait
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Big for legibility:

Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Now imagine we just elect the president by popular vote, full stop.
        If that happens, the hegemony of the coasts would be complete. You'd like that. I wouldn't.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          In case you thought the Electoral College couldn't get any worse

TL: dr- Electors can pick whoever they want and ignore the popular vote in their state.
          It's been that way since Day 1 of the Constitution. I don't know why this is a surprise to anybody who's gone beyond high school social studies.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            It's been that way since Day 1 of the Constitution. I don't know why this is a surprise to anybody who's gone beyond high school social studies.
            There's a difference IINM. Previously states passed laws to prevent faithless electors and this was considered within their power. If I'm reading this right states can't control their own electors.

So if Bezos bribes 270 electors he's president without getting one vote.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So, basically the DNC primary process?
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                So, basically the DNC primary process?
                I thought we weren't going to talk about DWS anymore?
                Cornell University

Comment

There's a difference IINM. Previously states passed laws to prevent faithless electors and this was considered within their power. If I'm reading this right states can't control their own electors.

No I learned about the Electors having at least some freedom back when I was in school.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    No I learned about the Electors having at least some freedom back when I was in school.
                    Yes, what we learned in grammar school was they always had the freedom to be faithless.

Then states started taking that away.

But now it seems that faithless elector laws are unconstitutional, so electors are unconstrained again.

That's bad. But rather than Amend to prevent faithless electors I favor Amending to get rid of the EC* entirely. We have outgrown it. And the one time it would have been useful, to prevent Dump, it wasn't used. It serves no purpose anymore except as a barrier to democracy.

uno, am I doing this wrong?

* To be fair I also favor getting rid of the Senate so I should probably not be listened to.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 08-22-2019, 10:18 AM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Re: POTUS 45.57: We Should Have Voted for Zaphod Beeblebrox Instead.

That's bad. But rather than Amend to prevent faithless electors I favor Amending to get rid of the EC* entirely.
                      But then you could win the presidency by just winning NY and LA!!!!1!!!!!

Why no, I don't understand how math works. Why do you ask?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Econ major doesn't know how bond sales work: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...20903725723648

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

The best people: https://news.avclub.com/the-u-s-amba...cke-1837473913

Ambassador Carla Sands’ background would likely have been overlooked as yet another insane thread in the grotesque Trump tapestry, were it not the fact that she’s now in charge of picking up the pieces after our President threw yet another tantrum, this time about not being able to purchase Greenland from the Danish. (The mere act of writing that last sentence almost certainly took a year off our lives). So what was Sands’ CV prior to serving as the official envoy to Denmark? Knowing this administration, we’re pretty confident it wouldn’t be quite applicable to the role of Danish ambassador, but surely some twisted logic could be followed to explain how they appointed her to the position.

Well, per a simple investigation published today, Sands is none other than a climate change-denying, conspiracy theory-retweeting ex-actress whose credits include a handful of The Bold and the Beautiful episodes, as well as Death Stalker And The Warriors From Hell, a film so bad it was lampooned in a seventh-season episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Sands’ whole deal, apart from Death Stalker, is more in line with what we’ve come to expect—widow to a multimillionaire real estate mogul, longtime hobnobber within California conservative politics, and possessor of a complete lack of ambassadorial experience apart from being nice to her clients at her chiropractic office (she’s also an ex-chiropractor).

KDR

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            You've always been there. Nothing has changed since 1824.

Now imagine you vote directly for an elector rather than a candidate that has an elector pledged to him/her?

Let's say you're pro life and pro universal healthcare. You would separately vote for the pro life elector and the healthcare elector. Then they would cast their vote for the candidate who best represents their view for POTUS and VPOTUS.

It could be conceivable that opposite parties receive a majority vote for POTUS & VPOTUS.

Oops - nobody got 270 EVs? Off to the House and/or Senate to see who wins.

It may (MAY) drive everyone back towards the center or we may (MAY) end up with splinters. It would definitely change the way campaigns are run.

Paging Aaron Burr...Thomas Jefferson on line 1!
                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                              Econ major doesn't know how bond sales work: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...20903725723648
                              It’s a liberal conspiracy, they’re making him say dumb things!!
                              I know, I’m a whiner, our institutions will save us, yada yada

Comment

Remember when Obama slurred his words, attacked Jews and insulted our allies in the same day?

Comment

Working...
                                X