Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POTUS 45.57: We Should Have Voted for Zaphod Beeblebrox Instead.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45.57: We Should Have Voted for Zaphod Beeblebrox Instead.

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I have a hunch that all of 'em have a little dirt they don't want brought up, especially this early in the process where it could tank them.

Although, if I was on the bottom end of the polling, I'd take the shots. Might be enough to give a quick jolt to my numbers to get me through campaigning a little longer.
    Not just the ones running for president. All of them. Surely Nancy or Shumer or someone safe in their seat can be messaging this sort of stuff.

Not even the elected. Someone, anyone high up in the DNC, any liberal organization can be saying this stuff. But they aren't.

Cause they're all puzzies.
    Last edited by rufus; 09-02-2019, 04:26 PM.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      I like that Beto is selling shirts that say “this is *******ed up”
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        And that's the perfect response. If only more Dems had the balls to do stuff like that.

Comment

Presidential politics: too profane to be seen by college hockey fans. Thanks, Obama.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Trying to reconcile the contradictions here: Trump ‘doesn’t necessarily need a deal’ with Beijing to be reelected, says US-China Business Council.

Is this wishful thinking on her part?

U.S. President Donald Trump “doesn’t necessarily need a deal” with Beijing in order to be reelected in the 2020 presidential race, says a senior director at the U.S.-China Business Council.

As long as the trade war that we’re in right now isn’t having an impact on the United States’ economy that is demonstrably bad for regular Americans ... being tough on China, looking tough, is probably enough,” Anna Ashton, senior director of government affairs at the U.S.-China Business Council, told CNBC’s “Street Signs” on Monday.
            Ok but...

Still, she added, the new tariffs that went into effect over the weekend — along with those that will take place in December — will “hit every consumer product that Americans buy.”
            Globally, the trade fight has roiled investment markets and dampened world economic outlook. Domestically, American businesses from farmers to manufacturers to tech firms have been hurt by the tariffs and are urging both sides to refrain from further escalation.

I have a hard time imagining that we will get to the 2020 election without seeing a significant impact to people’s pocketbooks,” Ashton said.
            Ashton said China appears to be showing some restraint in the face of U.S. provocation and that “seems like a positive thing.” However, she added, the reprieve might only be temporary.

Once retaliation resumes, “I think that we will just see more high-stakes brinksmanship from the U.S. side and this could go on and on and keep getting worse.

Comment

This is a brilliant but the title turns me off. I'm still not convinced there are no irredeemable Trumpkins left but this kind of rhetoric - despite the brilliant prose - goes in the "deplorable" bin.

Amidst a roiling hurricane and another fusillade of Texas gunshots, like many, I was struck by a statement in the new memoir, Call Sign Chaos, written by former Trump Defense Secretary James Mattis with former Reagan Assistant Defense Secretary Bing West. Both men began their careers of public service as US Marines.

They write, “If you haven’t read hundreds of books, you are functionally illiterate, and you will be incompetent, because your personal experiences alone aren’t broad enough to sustain you.”
              Strong words. Mattis manages to avoid almost any mention by name of our you-know-who-in-chief but the implication is clear. The president is, to use the clinical term, a know-nothing dingdong with no sense of history or perspective because, among other reasons, he doesn’t read. I know, he’ll tell you he doesn’t have to because of his “very, very large brain.”

Believe me, he has to.

We know Mattis left the Trump cabinet last December out of frustration and anger, although he has been quiet, largely, about his reasons. But contrary to Trump’s self-evaluation, according to a recent piece by Jonah Goldberg in The Atlantic, “aides and friends say [Mattis] found the president to be of limited cognitive ability, and of generally dubious character.”
              Both EB White and James Thurber wrote for The New Yorker magazine: White was a consummate essayist and children’s book author—Charlotte’s Web, Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan. Thurber was a grandmaster of the short story—perhaps best known for “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty”—and his often absurd and acerbic cartoons.

The two were friends as well as colleagues and at the beginning of their careers, in 1929, wrote a surprise best seller, a little book titled Is Sex Necessary? It was a parody of the Freudian self-help books that were then the rage and included such chapter headings as “What Should Children Tell Parents?” and “Claustrophobia, or What Every Young Wife Should Know.”

Each personified the independent, often iconoclastic thinking essential to the survival of a free people. And each bears revisiting for their wit and embrace of America’s quirks as well as a prescient concern for our future as a republic.
              In 1943, as we fought against fascism in World War II, White, prompted by a letter from something called the Writer’s War Board, gave us a pretty good idea of how he saw his country and democracy.

“It is the hole in the stuffed shirt through which the sawdust slowly trickles,” he wrote, “it is the dent in the high hat. Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time. It is the feeling of privacy in the voting booths, the feeling of communion in the libraries, the feeling of vitality everywhere. Democracy is a letter to the editor. Democracy is the score at the beginning of the ninth. It is an idea which hasn’t been disproved yet, a song the words of which have not gone bad. It’s the mustard on the hot dog and the cream in the rationed coffee. Democracy is a request from a War Board, in the middle of a morning in the middle of a war, wanting to know what democracy is.”

Even earlier, in 1940, White observed, “In this land the citizens are still invited to write their plays and books, to paint their pictures, to meet for discussion, to dissent as well as to agree, to mount soapboxes in the public square, to enjoy education in all subjects without censorship, to hold court and judge one another, to compose music, to talk politics with their neighbors without wondering whether the secret police are listening, to exchange ideas as well as goods, to kid the government when it needs kidding, and to read real news of real events instead of phony news manufactured by a paid agent of the state. This is a fact and should give every person pause.”
              And although he did not fail to point out the failings of the press, he did not view the written word as “fake” or an enemy. In fact, he declared, “I am inordinately proud these days of the quill, for it has shown itself, historically, to be the hypodermic which inoculates men and keeps the germ of freedom always in circulation, so that there are individuals in every time in every land who are the carriers, the Typhoid Marys, capable of infecting others by mere contact and example. These persons are feared by every tyrant—who shows his fear by burning the books and destroying the individuals. A writer goes about his task today with the extra satisfaction which comes from knowing that he will be the first to have his head lopped off—even before the political dandies.”
              As for James Thurber, among his works is a short story from 1931, the title of which would please Trump because he’d think it was about him—“The Greatest Man in the World.”

In the story, a mechanic’s assistant named Jack “Pal” Smurch manages to fly an airplane around the world, non-stop. He’s a national sensation but the problem is that Smurch also is a complete lout and heel. “It was inevitable that some day there would come roaring out of the skies a national hero of insufficient intelligence, background and character,” Thurber wrote, and Smurch is it. When newsmen track down his mother during the flight, she snorts, “Ah, the hell with him. I hope he drowns.”

The press makes up a story of Smurch as modest golden boy when in truth, in his Iowa hometown he’s regarded as “a nuisance and a menace” who once knifed his high school principal: “The authorities were convinced that the character of the renowned aviator was such that the limelight of adulation was bound to reveal him to all the world as a congenital hooligan mentally and morally unequipped to cope with his own prodigious fame.” In other words, like our president, a very stable genius.

Fainting upon arriving in New York at the end of his long flight, Jack Smurch is confined to a hospital while those in charge try to figure out what to do with him. Finally, he’s brought to a conference of the powers-that-be in an attempt to mold his image.

It’s hopeless. Scorning their advice, Smurch, this generally dubious character, stands “staring down into the street, nine floors below.”

They throw him out the window.
              Wonderfully crafted and thought out.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                Get on it, dems.

Sam Stein apparently didn't look too far, as Kamala Harris brought this up fairly quickly. Maybe if the media did its job a wee bit better instead of saying "how high" whenever Chump tells them to jump? Harris is in the top teir of Dems running for Prez and a sitting Senator from California which ought to garner some coverage.
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Doing a great job saving coal!
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Congrats Poland!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Doing a great job saving coal!
                      Got plenty of money for brewskis, though.

Ok, so maybe that's a Coke.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Got plenty of money for brewskis, though.

Ok, so maybe that's a Coke.
                        A lifetime of inhaling coal dust and drinking sugar. Now there's a future.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          A lifetime of inhaling coal dust and drinking sugar. Now there's a future.
                          And spent their last $15 on 10 straws.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Hey, remember that super secret spy photo Trump took a photo of? Internet Scooby Doo Gang figured out the exact model of satellite used and the orbit.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Penciepoo staying at Dump property on complete opposite coast of Ireland from Dublin (where he has "meetings" scheduled) for two nights, grifters gonna grift.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Holy ****ing ****. The mere tweet of this picture probably sent spy agencies around the world into overdrive:
                                —analyzing resolution capability
                                —date and time stamping to determine the spacecraft

He could have put that entire program that satellite belonged to in jeopardy. I’m still wondering how you can possibly do your job with intelligence and not involve the president in any meaningful way. Ever.
                                Looks like this was already IDed as a Keyhole satellite almost immediately after launch. This insanely stupid tweet by the president just put $8-12 billion of satellite capability on display. From the article
                                The image tweeted by Trump on Friday, showing the aftermath of an accident at Iran's Imam Khomeini Space Center, was so detailed that some experts doubted whether it really could have come from a satellite high above the planet.
                                Some (most?) experts didn't think this kind of capability existed from satellites. Now we know it has. Nice.

The next of the KH-11 satellites was only launched in January. Oof.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X