Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 106

Thread: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,500

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    5pm starts on Saturday's not sure i like that.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    422

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    5pm starts on Saturday's not sure i like that.
    Ya it's really stupid. Not the first time we've gotten the short end of the stick on scheduling. Now its probably more due to dumb Big 10 tv considerations than it is to the school not prioritizing the sport.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

    NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

    The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,500

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye22 View Post
    Ya it's really stupid. Not the first time we've gotten the short end of the stick on scheduling. Now its probably more due to dumb Big 10 tv considerations than it is to the school not prioritizing the sport.
    none of them saturday games are on tv

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Heading to the Schott - Oh yeah!

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    422

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Was a lot of fun watching the Buckeyes play my grad school tonight. Definitely got a little chippy at times. Not much to complain about for the Buckeyes. We seemed to control most of the play and pulled away, which is exactly what you wanna see when you're trying out all three goalies. Western got plenty of shots off and a couple goals to keep things interesting which was nice to see (for me at least). All around a good night. Looking forward to the Ice Breaker!
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

    NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

    The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye22 View Post
    Definitely got a little chippy at times.
    It got a LOT chippy! We were getting cross checked when trying to get over the boards to our bench and one of the Western players took a long run at our freshman Marooney propelling him backwards headfirst HARD into the boards. That's the kind of hit that can end a kids playing career and absolutely NO call! It was a blatant charge!
    I'm relieved he seemed to suffer no ill effects.
    Well we got some of the rust off and next weekend will be more demanding. See everyone in Toledo!

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,500

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    It got a LOT chippy! We were getting cross checked when trying to get over the boards to our bench and one of the Western players took a long run at our freshman Marooney propelling him backwards headfirst HARD into the boards. That's the kind of hit that can end a kids playing career and absolutely NO call! It was a blatant charge!
    I'm relieved he seemed to suffer no ill effects.
    Well we got some of the rust off and next weekend will be more demanding. See everyone in Toledo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye22 View Post
    Looking forward to the Ice Breaker!
    Good to know they played well. Looking forward to this weekend as well. I cant make it friday night i coach high school football and we have a game. See everyone saturday night. Where is everyone sitting

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    Good to know they played well. Looking forward to this weekend as well. I cant make it friday night i coach high school football and we have a game. See everyone saturday night. Where is everyone sitting
    Iíll be there Saturday night alone. Iím down in 106 behind the home bench. Iím assuming OSU will be home for their game but who know.

    Definitely liked the overall look on Sunday. They seemed to have a little more fight in the corners and better attempts a holding the blue. Thankfully Nappier looked good to back up the couple of defensive blunders. I liked that some players were playing a little more greedy instead of trying to make a stupid pass. Take the shot and get the dirty rebound. We may not have NHL superstar talent like Wins is pretending to have, but I think our bench runs much deeper. Our 3rd line can hold off most teams 1st.

    As per normal for b1g refs, so much was let go. Itís was an exhibition game but consistency is key.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Couldn't make the trip up to Toledo myself. But hey, we won the trophy! Hope we get some eyewitness accounts from those who traveled.

    For an excellent write-up from the RIT perspective, check out Tom Naeger's fine post on the RIT thread.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Here's a cut & paste of what I said last night on the Icebreaker tournament thread. I may add more after my morning coffee so I'm functional (or what passes for functional with me these days!)


    Where to start? Western I thought played the better game out skating OSU with speed and seeming always either beating us to the puck or taking it off our sticks. Western's 2 goals came from Ege not locking up his guy going to the net and then a freshman letting his guy get a jump on him going to the net. We were fortunate Western kept us in with the penalties. Matt Miller has perhaps the strongest slapper in college hockey and got his patented blue line one timer into the net too fast for the eye to follow on the PP. I thought we were dead with the 5 min major but again the Western penalties gave us life. I thought Western was the better team but they chose to give us the win. I must send them a Thank You card!
    Didn't stay for the 2nd game, too much on the back at my age but was shocked to hear BG lost.
    So we played RIT for the Tournament Championship but Ohio State certainly didn't look anything like the team they were last year but Hein got 2 PP goals against RIT stepping up as a senior should and the insurance goal came from freshman Tate Singleton on a partial breakaway.
    Now my take is we were lucky the chips fell our way. I'm not going to break down this late all I thought didn't look right for us but so far nobody's stepping up to be the spark plug or goal scorer for us like Jobst was and there's obviously work to be done.

    P.S. I commend RIT as being the only team to bring a pep band. There was certainly room for all the team's bands!
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    For an excellent write-up from the RIT perspective, check out Tom Naeger's fine post on the RIT thread.
    I took that advice and there's only one major point I'd disagree with and that's Tommy Nappier was the best goalie of the tournament, not Logan Dracket.
    Logan did give up very few rebounds where Western's goalie left so many rebounds on the doorstep but we could never get to them first.
    However, Tommy made so many great saves he's the sole reason we got as far as we did and to me is clearly tournament MVP.
    I did like Tom's comment about the boards there and had the exact same observation where we almost had things go wrong where the puck would come off the boards at a crazy angle that could not be anticipated.
    I wish all teams who participated the best of luck the rest of the season!

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,500

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Couldnt be there friday night because of me coaching but yesterday i thought the first period wasnt good but as the game went on Ohio state got better and was the better team. I was impressed with Tommy he kept them in the game until the offense got going. Its early obviously but the PP needs some work they couldnt get a entry into the zone and set up for most of the night. Winning face offs has to be better especially in the defensive zone. Thought that Tanner was to unselfish at times not taking shots when he had a chance to. Its nice to raise a trophy no matter when it comes. On to the Mavericks next weekend.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    Its early obviously but the PP needs some work they couldnt get a entry into the zone and set up for most of the night.
    Being on a 5 minute major and you only get one goal with 2 seconds left in the penalty certainly reinforces Klbaum's needs work assessment.
    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,357

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    P.S. I commend RIT as being the only team to bring a pep band. There was certainly room for all the team's bands!
    Very cool. The Tigers are indeed well supported by both their band and their student section. I'm guessing you attended the Ford Field FF. IMHO, the RIT Corner Crew was one of the best things at that tournament.

    Now in fairness to the other three schools at the Ice Breaker, it should be pointed out that RIT doesn't sponsor Varsity Football. Go to the Homecoming Game at RIT and you'll find Hockey being played! In contrast, Football is a bit of a distraction in Ohio & Michigan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    I took that advice and there's only one major point I'd disagree with and that's Tommy Nappier was the best goalie of the tournament, not Logan Dracket.
    Logan did give up very few rebounds where Western's goalie left so many rebounds on the doorstep but we could never get to them first.
    However, Tommy made so many great saves he's the sole reason we got as far as we did and to me is clearly tournament MVP.
    I did like Tom's comment about the boards there and had the exact same observation where we almost had things go wrong where the puck would come off the boards at a crazy angle that could not be anticipated.
    The RIT faithful have extremely high expectations for Drackett. Couple that with the human tendency to feel that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and perhaps you've got an explanation for why Drackett's effort was underrated. (if it was)

    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    ... yesterday i thought the first period wasnt good but as the game went on Ohio State got better and was the better team. I was impressed with Tommy he kept them in the game until the offense got going. Its early obviously but the PP needs some work they couldn't get a entry into the zone and set up for most of the night. Winning face offs has to be better especially in the defensive zone. Thought that Tanner was to unselfish at times not taking shots when he had a chance to. Its nice to raise a trophy no matter when it comes...
    Amen. I will say that if you had offered me this start to the season back in September, I would have accepted it without hesitation.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    It's early yet in the season but I kind of wonder if this team has an identity yet that they're focused on.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,500

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Being on a 5 minute major and you only get one goal with 2 seconds left in the penalty certainly reinforces Klbaum's needs work assessment.
    Im not so upset at only 1 goal on that major but the zone time and getting set up wasnt what i want to see but again its game 2 and things will get worked out.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,500

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Very cool. The Tigers are indeed well supported by both their band and their student section. I'm guessing you attended the Ford Field FF. IMHO, the RIT Corner Crew was one of the best things at that tournament.
    I was at that frozen four and again in South Bend for the regional they were in and was very impressed with the crowd they brought. High energy at all times even when losing.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    Im not so upset at only 1 goal on that major but the zone time and getting set up wasnt what i want to see but again its game 2 and things will get worked out.
    I'll buy into that's it's early yet, what else can you do?
    I don't think the team has it's full chemistry going yet, I forget which game but one of our guys did a no look pass behind him in the offensive zone but the teammate he expected to be there was nowhere to be found. The other detail that you didn't get to see but in the Western game the vast majority we brought the puck up along the boards only to get crunched off it time & again and that moving it up in open ice and passing wasn't in their minds.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,003

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    It's going to be a ghost town there Friday against Omaha with big brother football playing that night (Thanks a lot B1G!) but I floated out to the power behind the throne that perhaps Saturday they could have the Icebreaker trophy on display in the Schott?

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,500

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    It's going to be a ghost town there Friday against Omaha with big brother football playing that night (Thanks a lot B1G!) but I floated out to the power behind the throne that perhaps Saturday they could have the Icebreaker trophy on display in the Schott?
    Friday night is going to suck for sure. I debated if i was coming down for the with the football game at 830 but ill come down and find a spot to watch the football game after

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •