Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

Did anyone get their season tickets yet?

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
      Wisconsin is all on the rep that those 3 freshman draft picks will be better than any in the league...Wisconsin has to prove it to me first.
      Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      Interesting perspective. I'm waiting for Mr.PGB to come back and hear his 2 cents worth as well. He does seem to put some thought into what he posts.
      Sorry to keep you waiting; but thanks for the compliment. I think. The phrase "does seem" leaves me a little nervous.

This response is going to be as much disclaimer as analysis. I rarely post pre-season predictions because I rarely watch juniors or high school hockey. I generally form opinions after I've seen some D-1 games, rather than relying solely on the reputation of the new recruits.

With the disclaimer out of the way, let me say I strongly agree with klbaum's perspective on the 2019-20 Badgers. Raw talent is one thing. Creating team chemistry is quite another.

Will the new recruits be "all" in as Badgers? Or will they just be passing through until the NHL says it's time to move on? Will the returning Badgers embrace the new guys? And if the new guys are that good, will the upperclassmen accept supporting roles?

As the 97-98 Buckeyes demonstrated, this kind of mix can result in great success. But it's certainly no gimme.

Comment

Did anyone get their season tickets yet?
        my first year having them in a while but no i havent got mine yet

Comment

my first year having them in a while but no i havent got mine yet
          I got them today but they screwed it up. I have 3 seats and I received tickets for two of my seats and all of somebody else's season tickets so I'll have to take the time to call them and straighten it all out.

Comment

I got them today but they screwed it up. I have 3 seats and I received tickets for two of my seats and all of somebody else's season tickets so I'll have to take the time to call them and straighten it all out.
            I got mine today too

Comment

5pm starts on Saturday's not sure i like that.

Comment

5pm starts on Saturday's not sure i like that.
                Ya it's really stupid. Not the first time we've gotten the short end of the stick on scheduling. Now its probably more due to dumb Big 10 tv considerations than it is to the school not prioritizing the sport.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                  Ya it's really stupid. Not the first time we've gotten the short end of the stick on scheduling. Now its probably more due to dumb Big 10 tv considerations than it is to the school not prioritizing the sport.
                  none of them saturday games are on tv

Comment

Heading to the Schott - Oh yeah!

Comment

Was a lot of fun watching the Buckeyes play my grad school tonight. Definitely got a little chippy at times. Not much to complain about for the Buckeyes. We seemed to control most of the play and pulled away, which is exactly what you wanna see when you're trying out all three goalies. Western got plenty of shots off and a couple goals to keep things interesting which was nice to see (for me at least). All around a good night. Looking forward to the Ice Breaker!
                      Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                      University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Definitely got a little chippy at times.
                        It got a LOT chippy! We were getting cross checked when trying to get over the boards to our bench and one of the Western players took a long run at our freshman Marooney propelling him backwards headfirst HARD into the boards. That's the kind of hit that can end a kids playing career and absolutely NO call! It was a blatant charge!
                        I'm relieved he seemed to suffer no ill effects.
                        Well we got some of the rust off and next weekend will be more demanding. See everyone in Toledo!

Comment

It got a LOT chippy! We were getting cross checked when trying to get over the boards to our bench and one of the Western players took a long run at our freshman Marooney propelling him backwards headfirst HARD into the boards. That's the kind of hit that can end a kids playing career and absolutely NO call! It was a blatant charge!
                          I'm relieved he seemed to suffer no ill effects.
                          Well we got some of the rust off and next weekend will be more demanding. See everyone in Toledo!
                          Looking forward to the Ice Breaker!
                          Good to know they played well. Looking forward to this weekend as well. I cant make it friday night i coach high school football and we have a game. See everyone saturday night. Where is everyone sitting

Comment

Good to know they played well. Looking forward to this weekend as well. I cant make it friday night i coach high school football and we have a game. See everyone saturday night. Where is everyone sitting
                            I’ll be there Saturday night alone. I’m down in 106 behind the home bench. I’m assuming OSU will be home for their game but who know.

Definitely liked the overall look on Sunday. They seemed to have a little more fight in the corners and better attempts a holding the blue. Thankfully Nappier looked good to back up the couple of defensive blunders. I liked that some players were playing a little more greedy instead of trying to make a stupid pass. Take the shot and get the dirty rebound. We may not have NHL superstar talent like Wins is pretending to have, but I think our bench runs much deeper. Our 3rd line can hold off most teams 1st.

As per normal for b1g refs, so much was let go. It’s was an exhibition game but consistency is key.

Comment

Couldn't make the trip up to Toledo myself. But hey, we won the trophy! Hope we get some eyewitness accounts from those who traveled.

For an excellent write-up from the RIT perspective, check out Tom Naeger's fine post on the RIT thread.

Comment

Here's a cut & paste of what I said last night on the Icebreaker tournament thread. I may add more after my morning coffee so I'm functional (or what passes for functional with me these days!)

Where to start? Western I thought played the better game out skating OSU with speed and seeming always either beating us to the puck or taking it off our sticks. Western's 2 goals came from Ege not locking up his guy going to the net and then a freshman letting his guy get a jump on him going to the net. We were fortunate Western kept us in with the penalties. Matt Miller has perhaps the strongest slapper in college hockey and got his patented blue line one timer into the net too fast for the eye to follow on the PP. I thought we were dead with the 5 min major but again the Western penalties gave us life. I thought Western was the better team but they chose to give us the win. I must send them a Thank You card!
                                Didn't stay for the 2nd game, too much on the back at my age but was shocked to hear BG lost.
                                So we played RIT for the Tournament Championship but Ohio State certainly didn't look anything like the team they were last year but Hein got 2 PP goals against RIT stepping up as a senior should and the insurance goal came from freshman Tate Singleton on a partial breakaway.
                                Now my take is we were lucky the chips fell our way. I'm not going to break down this late all I thought didn't look right for us but so far nobody's stepping up to be the spark plug or goal scorer for us like Jobst was and there's obviously work to be done.

P.S. I commend RIT as being the only team to bring a pep band. There was certainly room for all the team's bands!
                                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-13-2019, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X