Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 212

Thread: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,553

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Landed in Vegas about an hour ago. Cant wait fir this game

  2. #122
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,473

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Sorry for the slow motion response. Lots of demands on my time this holiday season. But seeing as how the game will be played later tonight, I'd better complete my reply. It's now or never. Hope you see this before face-off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Cornell Offense:

    Up tempo, aggressive forecheck, several speedsters (8 - Kaldis, 9 - Bauld, 7 - Donaldson). Defensemen jump up into the offensive play at will. A few very high skill players (27 - Barron, 19 - Regush, 15 - Andreev, 24 - Malinski, 20 - Steinberg) with Barron being the most seriously dangerous sniper. We generate a ton of high percentage chances in close; it takes a very good goaltender to keep us off the board.
    For the Buckeyes, there was initially some concern that the scoring would be top heavy. But the truth is that they've gotten good scoring up the middle, on all lines. First Line Center #9 Tanner Laczynski leads the team in scoring with 18 Points, and also is a team high +12. Second Line Center #29 Gustaf Westlund leads the team in Goals with 9. Third Line Center #40 Ronnie Hein has 4 Goals & 5 Assists, for a healthy point total of 9.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler
    Cornell Defense:

    So far, so good. Dominated by freshmen (about 50% of all D minutes), with Kaldis, an All-American candidate, the best aggressive defender and 3 - Haiskenen and 5- Dirven the best stay at homes. D is quick and gets back fast which leads them to take a lot of chances, so fast breaks are a risk. D is not so great playing the body anymore (a shock for CU fans) so a very aggressive forecheck can get us locked into our zone if our passing is off. That's how Dartmouth forced turnovers for their goals to give us our only loss.
    Lots of talent on the Buckeye blue line. In the top pair, #5 Gordi Myer (Senior) tops the Shot Block list with 37. He's currently at +8. Frequent 'D' Partner, #61 Grant Gabriele, (Freshman) sports a +6. On the second pair, Fellow Freshman, #4 Layton Ahac, matches that +6. Frequent 'D' Partner Wyatt Ege (Senior) isn't far behind at +5. Oh, and expect a few cannon blasts to be launched by #50 Matt Miller from the point!

    Adding To The Prognosis:

    Interesting B1G vs. ECAC match-up. Pairwise points are on the line!

    Last and presumably least, the USCHO Championship Belt is also up for grabs. It's a Title Bout In Vegas! Should be a fun one.
    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-03-2020 at 09:04 PM.

  3. #123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,473

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    Landed in Vegas about an hour ago. Cant wait for this game
    Very cool that you made the trip. I'm looking forward to your eyewitness account.

  4. #124
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,473

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Assuming no sandbagging, OSU could have an advantage here...

    ... Similarly, the PK yields goals only 13.8% of the time. Though again similarly, the numbers are a little softer in the more recent games. Goals yielded by the PK were a key factor in a road loss to Penn State & a home tie against Minnesota. But if the Cornell PP is genuinely "ice cold," I'd expect the Buckeye PK to have a successful game.
    So we lose 5-2 & give up 2 PP Goals? Yikes, I couldn't have been more wrong.

    Note to Self: Keep my "scouting" and "predicting" to an absolute minimum!

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,553
    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    So we lose 5-2 & give up 2 PP Goals? Yikes, I couldn't have been more wrong.

    Note to Self: Keep my "scouting" and "predicting" to an absolute minimum!
    That is the best team i have seen this year. The play their system very well. The defensemen they have are big and very atrong. They took advantage of ohio state mistakes to the tune of 3 goals but that is what good teams do.

    One thing that worries me about this Ohio State team is that any forecheck pressure and the defensemen cough up the puck. It cost them both games at ND and cost them again tonight.

  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,473

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    That is the best team i have seen this year. The play their system very well. The defensemen they have are big and very strong. They took advantage of ohio state mistakes to the tune of 3 goals but that is what good teams do.
    Congratulations to Cornell. Turns out they were as good as advertised, and maybe better. At the very least, their "ice-cold" PP certainly thawed out in the warm Vegas sunshine.

    There is some comfort in that. But the Proud Buckeye in me says this OSU group shouldn't fall behind 4-0 against anyone.

    One thing that worries me about this Ohio State team is that any forecheck pressure and the defensemen cough up the puck. It cost them both games at ND and cost them again tonight.
    Sounds like the Big Red were laser-focused, and the Buckeyes were something less. I suppose games like the 3 mentioned put the guys on notice as to what it takes to get to the top. That's not all bad. And better now than in March.

    The other silver lining is that since this is a holiday tournament, we're guaranteed 2 games. We get an immediate opportunity to bounce back against a credible Army team.

    Did you see the Army/Providence game? If so, thoughts on Army?

  7. #127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,553
    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Congratulations to Cornell. Turns out they were as good as advertised, and maybe better. At the very least, their "ice-cold" PP certainly thawed out in the warm Vegas sunshine.

    There is some comfort in that. But the Proud Buckeye in me says this OSU group shouldn't fall behind 4-0 against anyone.

    Sounds like the Big Red were laser-focused, and the Buckeyes were something less. I suppose games like the 3 mentioned put the guys on notice as to what it takes to get to the top. That's not all bad. And better now than in March.

    The other silver lining is that since this is a holiday tournament, we're guaranteed 2 games. We get an immediate opportunity to bounce back against a credible Army team.

    Did you see the Army/Providence game? If so, thoughts on Army?
    Army is scrappy they played gard the full 60 minutes and were really a bounce away from making it a much tighter game. Going to need a better 200 foit effort to beat them.

  8. #128
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,473

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    Army is scrappy they played gard the full 60 minutes and were really a bounce away from making it a much tighter game. Going to need a better 200 foit effort to beat them.
    Got it; makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Have fun at today's games!

  9. #129
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Where
    Posts
    71,680

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Thank you all for your comments (and rep! :-) ). Good luck against Army. OSU looks strong and I am sure they will be a strong competitor to run the table in the NC$$.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Thank you all for your comments (and rep! :-) ). Good luck against Army. OSU looks strong and I am sure they will be a strong competitor to run the table in the NC$$.
    That team is solid. I can definitely see them being in Detroit

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,553

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    A win is a win no matter what. Wasnt the best weekend of hockey by far but its better than nit playing at all. Tommy didnt get a lot of work but was solid when called upon. Two senior leaders got goals and thats what you need to have happen when others arent scoring. Once again the defensemen had a rough time handling the puck. This is getting more worrisome each weekend. On to Wisconsin and back to the grind of conference play. 7 series left in the season. Time to leave to your mark and how you want to be remembered.

  12. #132
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    12

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    is Westlund generating nhl interest? be's getting better and better ...

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    A win is a win no matter what. Wasnt the best weekend of hockey by far but its better than nit playing at all. Tommy didnt get a lot of work but was solid when called upon. Two senior leaders got goals and thats what you need to have happen when others arent scoring. Once again the defensemen had a rough time handling the puck. This is getting more worrisome each weekend. On to Wisconsin and back to the grind of conference play. 7 series left in the season. Time to leave to your mark and how you want to be remembered.
    My biggest worry coming in this season was defense and goalie. Tommy has definitely exceeded expectations but defense has lived up to my bad expectations. Itís hints of our defense under Oz. Any challenge at the blue and suddenly they just retreat. Wouldnít always be that bad except our defense are slow. Their skating just isnít up to par of what it should be and it ends up leaving Tommy out to dry.

    In the end I think our middle and lower lines are stepping up for sure. It might not always be something on the stat sheets like a goal but a lot of blocking, forecheck pressure, and generally frustrating other teams top lines. We can sustain a few injuries and still function while some of the other top tier teams are going to face more issues with depth.

    Summery of the weekend though: Stop playing down to other teams level.

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,553
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarOhio View Post
    My biggest worry coming in this season was defense and goalie. Tommy has definitely exceeded expectations but defense has lived up to my bad expectations. Itís hints of our defense under Oz. Any challenge at the blue and suddenly they just retreat. Wouldnít always be that bad except our defense are slow. Their skating just isnít up to par of what it should be and it ends up leaving Tommy out to dry.

    In the end I think our middle and lower lines are stepping up for sure. It might not always be something on the stat sheets like a goal but a lot of blocking, forecheck pressure, and generally frustrating other teams top lines. We can sustain a few injuries and still function while some of the other top tier teams are going to face more issues with depth.

    Summery of the weekend though: Stop playing down to other teams level.
    I was worried about how the defensemen would handle losing the leader from last year. He had a calming influence on the game when he was on the ice. While there are 3 seniors on this team i am not sure any of them had a role like they have now. The younget guys on the backend show their inexperience side often in the defensive zone. I dont think they played diwn to Cornell they are just that good but Army yea they played a bit down to that level. Army is scrappy though and i wouldnt be surprised to see them in a regional.

  15. #135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,473

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Thank you all for your comments (and rep! :-) ). Good luck against Army. OSU looks strong and I am sure they will be a strong competitor to run the table in the NC$$.
    Glad to do it & thanks. Always a pleasure to have a good "Hot Stove League" exchange.

    Quote Originally Posted by LunarOhio View Post
    My biggest worry coming in this season was defense and goalie. Tommy has definitely exceeded expectations but defense has lived up to my bad expectations. Itís hints of our defense under Oz. Any challenge at the blue and suddenly they just retreat. Wouldnít always be that bad except our defense are slow. Their skating just isnít up to par of what it should be and it ends up leaving Tommy out to dry.

    In the end I think our middle and lower lines are stepping up for sure. It might not always be something on the stat sheets like a goal but a lot of blocking, forecheck pressure, and generally frustrating other teams top lines. We can sustain a few injuries and still function while some of the other top tier teams are going to face more issues with depth.

    Summary of the weekend though: Stop playing down to other teams level.
    Fair observations in the two full paragraphs. I'll admit that the "Proud Buckeye in me" can sometimes be a little too positive.

    I'd rethink the summary, however. I'm more persuaded by klbaum's take. It's important to analyze this year's body of work when evaluating opponents, as opposed to the brand name. The latter category includes the school we often leave unnamed. It's in our DNA to be thrilled with any victory over TTUN. But that program isn't performing up to its potential right now. They'll be back, make no mistake about that. But in 2019-20, those wins may not be as impressive as they feel to us.

    The reverse can also be true. For many, the first instinct will be: ECAC? AH? How hard can it be? But 2019-20 track record, along klbaum's first hand observations, say that Army & Cornell are formidable teams this year.

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Nice win last night. Any additional word on CJ Regula other than the fact he was still hospitalized this morning?

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,100

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    CJ Regula reportedly has a spinal column injury from the boarding he took last night. No other details yet. The officiating crew in my opinion is culpable as they could and should have maintained control by calling boarding and ejection when it happened to Gordi earlier in the game!

  18. #138
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    4,301

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    OSU hockey tweeted he is expected to make a full recovery.

    It was a terrible play by Linus as he obviously has to maintain control and not hit a vulnerable player 5 ft from the boards like that. Everybody knows and it and he knows it too. Kind of extra odd because Linus is pretty much a non-checking player. There's a Sid Crosby quote where he's talking to the opposing C and says something like "You know I don't hit anybody, I haven't hit anybody all year." Well, that's Linus.

    Just very glad to hear CJ is going to be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  19. #139
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,553

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    OSU hockey tweeted he is expected to make a full recovery.

    It was a terrible play by Linus as he obviously has to maintain control and not hit a vulnerable player 5 ft from the boards like that. Everybody knows and it and he knows it too. Kind of extra odd because Linus is pretty much a non-checking player. There's a Sid Crosby quote where he's talking to the opposing C and says something like "You know I don't hit anybody, I haven't hit anybody all year." Well, that's Linus.

    Just very glad to hear CJ is going to be ok.
    I dont thik he meant to do it but if either of the other 2 hits to to the head would have been called that one might have been avoided. At worst the hit to Laczynnksi should have been looked at as i thought it was shoulder to his head.

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,553

    Re: 2019-2020 Ohio State Hockey - Shooting for Detroit (no pun intended)

    Nice win on the road last night. The injury is very unfortunate but hope CJ recovers quickly and to full strength. They let the game get away from them during the 4 on 4 in the second period. Tommy saved them many times in that stretch. 5 times they have failed to score on a 5 minute major this year last night was the first game they have won when not scoring on a major penalty.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •