Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,209

    WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Last season I signed up for FloHockey's streaming package, and I can honestly say that I easily got my money's worth, particularly when it came to being able to watch Minnesota's away games. For the upcoming season Flo is offering a package of 120 games involving WCHA teams, and I am definitely planning to renew.

    Info and complete schedule of games here: https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/65...e-on-flohockey

    Beyond the streaming option, feel free to post any observations and random thoughts on conference predictions, matchups and outstanding performances in this thread.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  2. #2
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,033

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    How much was it for the whole year? What was the quality like? I see 12 UW away games on there. I'd still like to do a road trip to UM or UMD. UM is my wife's birthday weekend so that is out. UMD is my daughter's birthday weekend, that is a possibility, depending on weather.

    As far as the conference goes, I'm sure all the coaches will pick UM to win the league, with a UM player projected to be POTY and a UM freshmen as ROTY, that is usually how it goes. I think Roque and Watts are candidates for POTY. I wouldn't sleep on Greig or Shirley for ROTY.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,209

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    How much was it for the whole year? What was the quality like?
    Last year it was $161.29. For the most part the quality of the broadcasts was very good, with some exceptions.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rosemount, MN
    Posts
    2,843

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    As far as the conference goes, I'm sure all the coaches will pick UW to win the league, with a UW player projected to be POTY and a UW freshmen as ROTY. I think Roque and Watts are candidates for POTY. I think Greig or Shirley are candidates for ROTY.
    Fixed...
    "The decline of western civilization can be traced directly to bands no longer having horn sections. I'm pretty sure that's science."

  5. #5
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,782

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I think Roque and Watts are candidates for POTY.
    For preseason POTY, I'd look to someone like Roque, Rooney, or maybe Maltais or Dunne. I'm sure that Watts will be in the conversation at the end of the year, but for preseason, the WCHA coaches aren't going to vote for some kid who piled up points in Hockey East until she proves herself here.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,237

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Just noticed that 2019-20 Ohio State thread has been booted to the Archives. The likely crime? No posts since late May. Last year's thread still lingers, apparently because there were a few posts in the summer months.

    The archived OSU thread was no literary masterpiece. But I thought it was kind of nice that it opened with the upcoming schedule, followed by a discussion of the schedule's nuances.

    I'm presuming that once a thread has been archived, it can't be returned to active status. But if anyone has information to the contrary, please advise.


    Be all that as it may, isn't archiving clearly relevant threads after just a couple of months a little brutal? It's especially ridiculous that there's currently no UMD thread. Admittedly Bemidji & St. Cloud posters haven't been as active lately. But they aren't on the current thread list either.

    Perhaps more importantly, why be in a rush to meat-axe threads relating to the 2019 Post-season? Isn't last year's tournament still of interest as we start the new campaign? Perhaps tweak the cut-off date to March 1st?

    Hard to believe that "lack of space" is an issue. It's been an extremely slow Summer on the board. The thread list is now a single page.

    Yeah, I know. Just start new threads. Obviously the path of least resistance. But also an unnecessary nuisance, in my view.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,278

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Just noticed that 2019-20 Ohio State thread has been booted to the Archives. The likely crime? No posts since late May. Last year's thread still lingers, apparently because there were a few posts in the summer months.

    The archived OSU thread was no literary masterpiece. But I thought it was kind of nice that it opened with the upcoming schedule, followed by a discussion of the schedule's nuances.

    I'm presuming that once a thread has been archived, it can't be returned to active status. But if anyone has information to the contrary, please advise.


    Be all that as it may, isn't archiving clearly relevant threads after just a couple of months a little brutal? It's especially ridiculous that there's currently no UMD thread. Admittedly Bemidji & St. Cloud posters haven't been as active lately. But they aren't on the current thread list either.

    Perhaps more importantly, why be in a rush to meat-axe threads relating to the 2019 Post-season? Isn't last year's tournament still of interest as we start the new campaign? Perhaps tweak the cut-off date to March 1st?

    Hard to believe that "lack of space" is an issue. It's been an extremely slow Summer on the board. The thread list is now a single page.

    Yeah, I know. Just start new threads. Obviously the path of least resistance. But also an unnecessary nuisance, in my view.
    It's not archived, it's just the forum's default view is to only show threads that have been active the past two months. You can scroll down to thread display options and change that to show older threads, and find the thread you're looking for and post to it to bump it back up. The only threads you can't post to have a gray band diagonally across the top right of their icon with a little padlock on it.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  8. #8
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,033

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Fixed...
    Thanks! What was I thinking?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  9. #9
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,033

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    For preseason POTY, I'd look to someone like Roque, Rooney, or maybe Maltais or Dunne. I'm sure that Watts will be in the conversation at the end of the year, but for preseason, the WCHA coaches aren't going to vote for some kid who piled up points in Hockey East until she proves herself here.
    How Watt's game translates to the WCHA and WI brand of hockey may be the most fascinating story line of the year. How she does will definitely validate or invalidate a lot of ideas of the quality of play in Hockey Easy vs the WCHA. That is going to be a fascinating journey. Of course me being a BADger fan, I want to see her light it up, but on the other hand, I am one who really questions the quality of Hockey Easy, so her getting 40 pts vs 80 pts in the wcha isn't all bad as long as UW gets the big trophy at the end. That would be a great poll......
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  10. #10
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,782

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    How Watt's game translates to the WCHA and WI brand of hockey may be the most fascinating story line of the year.
    I think that her offensive game will be fine. On the other side of the puck, she may notice an increased emphasis on concepts like "back pressure" and "defensive-zone coverage".
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rosemount, MN
    Posts
    2,843

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    What was I thinking?
    How should I know why you keep referring to your rivals to the west? You should see a therapist for that.

    ARM covered it but I still want to ask...Watt will happen to the 2017/2018 Patty Kazmaier winner when she will actually have to do some back-checking?
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 08-14-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    "The decline of western civilization can be traced directly to bands no longer having horn sections. I'm pretty sure that's science."

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    How Watt's game translates to the WCHA and WI brand of hockey may be the most fascinating story line of the year. ...
    Very much agree. I hope Wisconsin can do what it can to make her games somehow accessible to out of conference fans. I know fox sports north broadcasts some games? would be really nice to get a marquee match up on tv, and perhaps in addition to the FSN, why not broadcast games vs fellow big ten schools on the Big Ten network?

    I feel like I saw Wisconsin vs St Cloud andWisconsin vs Princeton on tv last year... would be so cool to see more.

  13. #13
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,033

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Very much agree. I hope Wisconsin can do what it can to make her games somehow accessible to out of conference fans. I know fox sports north broadcasts some games? would be really nice to get a marquee match up on tv, and perhaps in addition to the FSN, why not broadcast games vs fellow big ten schools on the Big Ten network?

    I feel like I saw Wisconsin vs St Cloud andWisconsin vs Princeton on tv last year... would be so cool to see more.
    Do the FloHockey deal, you can watch as much as you want then.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  14. #14
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,033

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I think that her offensive game will be fine. On the other side of the puck, she may notice an increased emphasis on concepts like "back pressure" and "defensive-zone coverage".
    She may have less offensive opportunities due to these weird WI defensive techniques you mentioned. She will get plenty PP chances, hopefully she can shoot off the pass on the backdoor. That concept seems foreign to the UW PP.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,237

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    It's not archived, it's just the forum's default view is to only show threads that have been active the past two mo
    nths. You can scroll down to thread display options and change that to show older threads, and find the thread you're looking for and post to it to bump it back up. The only threads you can't post to have a gray band diagonally across the top right of their icon with a little padlock on it.
    Well that was certainly simple. Thanks for the quick tutorial!

    Kind of embarrassing that I've been on USCHO for 19 years and never noticed that. Sure, I've successfully searched for & found older threads quite a few times. But I just assumed I was looking at archived material...

    Maybe the default display option should be active threads from the last 100 days. Right now that adds just one page to the thread list on the Women's Hockey Board. Or, maybe I'm the only one who didn't get the memo & it just doesn't matter.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Do the FloHockey deal, you can watch as much as you want then.
    A little pricy! But an option for sure.

  17. #17
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,033

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    A little pricy! But an option for sure.
    A little too pricey for me.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Isolated in the mid west
    Posts
    130

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    How Watt's game translates to the WCHA and WI brand of hockey may be the most fascinating story line of the year. How she does will definitely validate or invalidate a lot of ideas of the quality of play in Hockey Easy vs the WCHA. That is going to be a fascinating journey. Of course me being a BADger fan, I want to see her light it up, but on the other hand, I am one who really questions the quality of Hockey Easy, so her getting 40 pts vs 80 pts in the wcha isn't all bad as long as UW gets the big trophy at the end. That would be a great poll......
    Agree. I will be paying close attention. I always had the impression a 10 goal season in the WCHA would correspond to a 25-30 goal season in hockey east. Defensive attention in WCHA is a must compared to other conferences too. She also wont have the Browns of the worlds to rack up the points against.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Fairbnks, AK
    Posts
    142

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by dd17 View Post
    Agree. I will be paying close attention. I always had the impression a 10 goal season in the WCHA would correspond to a 25-30 goal season in hockey east. Defensive attention in WCHA is a must compared to other conferences too. She also wont have the Browns of the worlds to rack up the points against.
    Most definitely. She will be a prolific scorer in this league but she will not garner the numbers she is accustomed to because of strength of schedule being in the WCHA. There are NO weekends off in the WCHA!

  20. #20
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,033

    Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

    Quote Originally Posted by agfire View Post
    Most definitely. She will be a prolific scorer in this league but she will not garner the numbers she is accustomed to because of strength of schedule being in the WCHA. There are NO weekends off in the WCHA!
    UW's non-con opponents:

    Lindenwood x 2
    PSU x 2
    LIU x 2
    Hawvawd x 1
    BC x 1
    Bob Morris x 1
    NE or Colgate x 1

    Lindenwood, PSU and LIU are 6 of the first 8 games. If the chemistry is on right away, look out. The rest of the N/C schedule looks like quality, except maybe Bob M.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •