Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Re: WCHA Conference: The 2019-20 Season

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I believe the USCHO WCHA standing showing Minnesota with 35 points is incorrect. Should be 36 like what shows here...

https://www.wcha.com/women/standings/index.php
    Definitely. One shootout win (2 pts) and one 3-on-3 loss (1 pt) plus 11 times 3 pts = 36. My definitive is collegehockeystats, and it concurs with you:
    https://www.collegehockeystats.net/1920/standings/wchaw
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Definitely. One shootout win (2 pts) and one 3-on-3 loss (1 pt) plus 11 times 3 pts = 36. My definitive is collegehockeystats, and it concurs with you:
    https://www.collegehockeystats.net/1920/standings/wchaw
    I say they should hold onto that extra point so they can spring it on the unsuspecting Badgers in case of a season-ending tied conference race.

Let's go RED!

Watched a decent amount of the MSU/St Cl tilt on the old TV, MSU was has got some speed, fairly impressive, though maybe St. Cl may make you look faster than you really are, who knows. Pretty good game to watch before I started on the UW men debacle with women's curling mixed in. Quality TV tonight.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Let's go RED!

Interesting weekend coming up, UM @ BSU and OSU @ UMD. OSU, UMD and BSU have been giant killers the last few weeks. OSU can smell 2nd place, UMD can smell 3rd place and BSU can smell 4th place. The gut says splitsville for OSU/UMD and MN will bounce back and sweep BSU and status quo in the standings will be maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Interesting weekend coming up, UM @ BSU and OSU @ UMD. OSU, UMD and BSU have been giant killers the last few weeks. OSU can smell 2nd place, UMD can smell 3rd place and BSU can smell 4th place. The gut says splitsville for OSU/UMD and MN will bounce back and sweep BSU and status quo in the standings will be maintained.
    Rooney showed what great goaltending can do to the Gophers. If Bench is as hot as she was against UW, the Beavers get a split.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    Rooney showed what great goaltending can do to the Gophers. If Bench is as hot as she was against UW, the Beavers get a split.
    The Gophs will wake up at some point and I'm betting it will be next weekend. I hope I'm wrong hahahaha.

The Gophs will wake up at some point and I'm betting it will be next weekend. I hope I'm wrong hahahaha.
    The Gophers don't really need to wake up. They played well yesterday. I'm just not sure I've ever seen a bigger difference in a team's play over 24 hours than what UMD did this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    The Gophers don't really need to wake up. They played well yesterday.
    They weren't bad, but playing at that level isn't going to win them anything come playoff time.

I realize this is a 2020-2021 topic, but itís interesting to ponder how next yearís WCHA will be different with the significant goalie changes. Out are Rooney, Campbell, Scobee, Bench, and Alder (who hasnít played much this season but was still very good). Rooney and Bench have absolutely stolen big wins for UMD and BSU; it appears Blesi is no Soup and I donít believe Pahl is on par with Scobee. Maybe St Cloud and Mankato see this as an opportunity for more wins next year? And OSU has to be happy not to face these goalies anymore.

Let's go RED!

I realize this is a 2020-2021 topic, but itís interesting to ponder how next yearís WCHA will be different with the significant goalie changes. Out are Rooney, Campbell, Scobee, Bench, and Alder (who hasnít played much this season but was still very good). Rooney and Bench have absolutely stolen big wins for UMD and BSU; it appears Blesi is no Soup and I donít believe Pahl is on par with Scobee. Maybe St Cloud and Mankato see this as an opportunity for more wins next year? And OSU has to be happy not to face these goalies anymore.
    Blesi played well until yesterday, so I'm not pushing the panic button, but I dug it out of the closet.

I'd be very surprised if Wisconsin does not have a goalie next season who is statistically at least the equal of what Campbell has been this season, because she has been a couple of notches below what she was last year. We've talked about the team's defensive issues, but I also suspect that she's been less than 100% healthy for much of the year. Rooney is the goalie who will be most difficult for her team to replace.

You missed Gulstene as another very good goalie who will be missed next year. Her injury retirement leaves UM with two untested goalies for next year. I'm hoping the team can pick up someone like Amanda Pelkey, a goalie of the year finalist who hasn't made a college commitment, as injury insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
    You missed Gulstene as another very good goalie who will be missed next year. Her injury retirement leaves UM with two untested goalies for next year. I'm hoping the team can pick up someone like Amanda Pelkey, a goalie of the year finalist who hasn't made a college commitment, as injury insurance.
    Speaking of picking up a goalie....where is Canadian u18 goalie Eve Gascon headed? No commitment announcement as far as I am aware. Sheís a 2021, so it wouldnít affect next year...but maybe she lands somewhere in the WCHA?

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by Sieve1 View Post
    Speaking of picking up a goalie....where is Canadian u18 goalie Eve Gascon headed? No commitment announcement as far as I am aware. Sheís a 2021, so it wouldnít affect next year...but maybe she lands somewhere in the WCHA?
    Paging Mark Johnson, do you read, over?

With a week to go, the entire range of possibilities is open to Wisconsin and Minnesota for the conference championship:

Wisconsin by a game is obviously possible.

Minnesota by a game is certainly possible.

A tie is clearly possible

And if either is involved is any tie games next weekend, someone winning by, someone winning by less than a 'full game' is almost a certainty.

(Last year, Minnesota won the conference by two standings points. In 2016, Wisconsin won by a single stands point. Has there ever been a flat-out tie?)

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    Has there ever been a flat-out tie?
    UMD and Minnesota tied in 2009-10 with the Bulldogs getting the higher seed and winning the WCHA (and NCAA) tournament. I don't remember any others offhand, but I could be wrong.

Let's go RED!

So does the men's wcha folding into the ccha affect the wwcha?

So does the men's wcha folding into the ccha affect the wwcha?
    That would be BSU and MSU leaving the men's WCHA, right? It shouldn't, given that those are the only two programs that shared that conference on the men's side. UW, UM, and OSU are in BIG, and UMD and SCSU are in NCHC. It wouldn't seem to make the relationships on the women's side be any different than they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    That would be BSU and MSU leaving the men's WCHA, right? It shouldn't, given that those are the only two programs that shared that conference on the men's side. UW, UM, and OSU are in BIG, and UMD and SCSU are in NCHC. It wouldn't seem to make the relationships on the women's side be any different than they are today.
    Basically, what was once the WCHA men's conference will now be known as the CCHA, minus three teams: Alabama Huntsville, Alaska (Fairbanks) and Alaska Anchorage which will be left out on their own (as will Arizona State, but they are already Independent). The "new" CCHA will be comprised of Bemidji State, Minnesota State Mankato, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan.

https://www.startribune.com/ccha-will...-22/567973232/

I don't see how this shift will have any impact on the women's WCHA since only two of the teams in the new conference even have a women's team.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

so I wonder if the NCHC will rename itself after the men's WCHA dissolves, as it most likely will
    I have been enjoying the NCHC games that are televised over the air the last few years , it is excellent hockey, as I mentioned before I watched one of those games rather than what passes for an NHL All-Star game.
    It would be fitting to have both of the best leagues men/women under the same banner.

Thread Information