Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-trust-report

Great article about gun violence and offers some solutions on how to lower gun deaths. We need more of this type of research.
    Unfortunately, the NRA has lobbied hard to prevent the Governemt from performing these studies or releasing their results.

I believe some of the bans have started to sunset. More studies like this will be coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Trump Bots all over Twitter now trying to make this seem calm and filled with diversity because there are plants on hand holding fake signs.
    Wait what? I thought only Bloomberg had paid trolls! Crazy

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Re: Another Mass Shooting: It's Those Darn Video Games!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-trust-report

Great article about gun violence and offers some solutions on how to lower gun deaths. We need more of this type of research.
    You realize the Republicans explicitly prevented the CDC from researching this, right? Like the Climate Change gag order, they blinded us scientifically to protect their special interests' profits.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    You realize the Republicans explicitly prevented the CDC from researching this, right? Like the Climate Change gag order, they blinded us scientifically to protect their special interests' profits.
    This is more or less the problem we face. Instead of trying to solve the problem it turns into a left-right blame game and nothing happens.

This is more or less the problem we face. Instead of trying to solve the problem it turns into a left-right blame game and nothing happens.
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, sage drew!

Try voting for people who stand for these things rather than say golly gee we need more research

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Both sides
    You could've just said this.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Thanks, Rube.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

You should be helping OJ find the killer.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Thanks, Rube.
    Whatever, man. The bit is old.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Whatever, man. The bit is old.
    Besides which, that's rufus' job.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

No it doesnt. The blame is on the Right. Only the uninformed like you pretend both sides are part of the problem.

One side wants sensible laws and research done to fix the problems (Democrats) one side doesnt care if everyone dies and uses scare tactics to make you believe a bunch of crap which you then spout around here. (Republicans) Not the same no matter how much you want to believe it is.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

I'd really like to see a study about what I'll call "fevers" (for lack of a better term) that take over this country for periods of time that may be as short as a few years, or may run decades in length, because my personal opinion is that we are in the midst of one of those "fevers" right now, one that involves mass shootings in schools or work places, primarily.

Think about it a bit. There were a few decades in this country where train robberies were a thing. They were a frequent occurrence. When was the last time you heard of someone boarding a train, robbing it, and making their getaway?

Lynchings. How many people in this country, primarily black men, were drug out of a jail and lynched by an angry mob after being accused of a crime? When was the last time you saw that?

Did you know that sneaking into homes and murdering entire families in their beds with an axe was a thing in this country. There was a decade or two in the late 1800's and early 1900's where this was a serious problem in the country. How often do you hear about that happening today?

I grew up in the age of airplane hijackings. I think there was maybe a ten year stretch or so where we were averaging something like one hijacking a week, or some ridiculous figure. Then, as quickly as it became a thing, it no longer became a thing, and that was long before the increased airport security that followed 9/11.

We're living in the age of school shootings, and it's cousin, workplace shootings. I personally believe such events will become passe in the minds of psychopaths, and they will move on to some other fever that catches their attention.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

We could always use more alien abductions

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I'd really like to see a study about what I'll call "fevers" (for lack of a better term) that take over this country for periods of time that may be as short as a few years, or may run decades in length, because my personal opinion is that we are in the midst of one of those "fevers" right now, one that involves mass shootings in schools or work places, primarily.

Think about it a bit. There were a few decades in this country where train robberies were a thing. They were a frequent occurrence. When was the last time you heard of someone boarding a train, robbing it, and making their getaway?

Lynchings. How many people in this country, primarily black men, were drug out of a jail and lynched by an angry mob after being accused of a crime? When was the last time you saw that?

Did you know that sneaking into homes and murdering entire families in their beds with an axe was a thing in this country. There was a decade or two in the late 1800's and early 1900's where this was a serious problem in the country. How often do you hear about that happening today?

I grew up in the age of airplane hijackings. I think there was maybe a ten year stretch or so where we were averaging something like one hijacking a week, or some ridiculous figure. Then, as quickly as it became a thing, it no longer became a thing, and that was long before the increased airport security that followed 9/11.

We're living in the age of school shootings, and it's cousin, workplace shootings. I personally believe such events will become passe in the minds of psychopaths, and they will move on to some other fever that catches their attention.
    I hope you're right, but...

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...nes-full-data/

Years Ave # of incidents Per Year Ave # of Total Victims
    1982 -2016 2.63 42.22
    2009 -2016 4.63 77
    2017 -2019* 10 329.67

wubba lubba dub dub

When was the last time banks were sending their cash deposits from location to location via a locomotive? Once the tech became available, balance sheets were adjusted with "money wires" from account to account via the FRB's services.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    No it doesnt. The blame is on the Right. Only the uninformed like you pretend both sides are part of the problem.

One side wants sensible laws and research done to fix the problems (Democrats) one side doesnt care if everyone dies and uses scare tactics to make you believe a bunch of crap which you then spout around here. (Republicans) Not the same no matter how much you want to believe it is.
    And one should be very clear of the ACTUAL motive of these scare tactics- it's to make more money.

The gun industry made out like train robbers when President Obama was rumored to be taking guns. Every time there's even a tiny hint of anything- gun sales go up. Even better, by making excuses, prices for ammo has gone up a LOT, too- I listen to my gun friends here at work about that complaint all of the time. Last time I checked, there's no actual reason for this price increase, other than a "shortage"- which is another way to wind up people and fear- making the price hikes a whole lot easier to just lay on the consumer.

When the NRA became a gun makers lobby, this whole conversation turned into what it is right now. Where the unthinking want to portray this as a "bothsidism" BS. Totally ignoring the actual history of the NRA and that they actually lobbied for gun controls.

This is all about greed. And using fear to feed that greed.

Just like many other arguments. Like for roads, and for schools, and for prisons, .......

What sucks here is that the greed does lead to people getting killed by instruments designed 100% to kill people. And that's all they are actually good for.

Funny how the last 50 years- we've been regulating safer and safer stuff for so many other items- electronics, homes, cars, power plants, etc... And the NRA had just lobbied for deadlier and deadlier stuff.

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Funny how the last 50 years- we've been regulating safer and safer stuff for so many other items- electronics, homes, cars, power plants, etc... And the NRA had just lobbied for deadlier and deadlier stuff.
    It makes sense. The last fifty years have seen a steep diminution of the real purchasing power of the stupid to where now they really only factor in the economy as consumers of drugs, media, and cheap goods, and as a drag on public assistance. The losers lost in the free marketplace because they have nothing to offer except their numbers. They make nothing. They create nothing. They think nothing. They're in stasis.

Guns are the Great Equalizer. With a gun you can take what the better qualified, better educated person has earned. So they need their arsenals. They have wasted their lives and destroyed their childrens' future, so all that's left is to disappear into the hinterland and become brigands, hoping to score some meth and abduct some girls. They are in a cultural death spiral. Let sickness and violence do its work.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-21-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

It makes sense. The last fifty years have seen a steep diminution of the real purchasing power of the stupid to where now they really only factor in the economy as consumers of drugs, media, and cheap goods, and as a drag on public assistance. The losers lost in the free marketplace because they have nothing to offer except their numbers. They make nothing. They create nothing. They think nothing. They're in stasis.

Guns are the Great Equalizer. With a gun you can take what the better qualified, better educated person has earned. So they need their arsenals. They have wasted their lives and destroyed their childrens' future, so all that's left is to disappear into the hinterland and become brigands, hoping to score some meth and abduct some girls. They are in a cultural death spiral. Let sickness and violence do its work.
    Nothing like breaking out the AR-15 after you’ve taken a few hits of meth.

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Nothing like breaking out the AR-15 after you’ve taken a few hits of meth.
    I just saw John Wick 2 as a matter of fact.

Do enjoy your party.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Lucia Apologist

When was the last time you heard of someone boarding a train, robbing it, and making their getaway?
    Boston, about 30 seconds ago.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Thread Information