Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 212

Thread: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,739

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Women's recruiting is entirely different then Men's. Girls come directly out of high school where men will play Jr.'s up to 3 years post high school graduation. So if you do not get kids by their junior year in HS you are behind. Vines was hired in July of his 1st year giving him no time to recruit. His 2nd yr was mostly what was left on the tree that hadn't been recruited yet. This is his 1st recruited class; he was also stuck with some recruit mistakes from the last staff and to his credit he honored the scholarships. With regard to this season he has had a ton of injuries and has not been able to field an entire roster for the last 3 or 4 weeks.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

  2. #122
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    163

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by sezenack View Post
    The talent (lack thereof) is entirely Vines's fault. The team is pretty much all of "his players". The problem is he doesn't recruit good players. Only reason the team was even respectable before was because he was gifted a generational goaltender. With that generational talent, they couldn't even crack a winning record. He needs to be outed; 9/18 games this season, we have been shutout. It's embarrassing.
    I am not an expert, but I would guess the talent pool on the women's
    side is smaller than the men's for a variety of reasons.( fewer women's teams pre college, more recent start to women's teams, etc) That being said, the men and the women have a very similar problem: getting good hockey players to play there. Players have to want to come to RPI: to play on a team that wins a lot, because the coach is great,because the facilities are top notch, or because people want to go to school there more than other places. How many of those boxes can a good hockey players,man or woman, check off when trying to decide? Replacing Vines or Smith will accomplish what exactly if the replacement is on a similar level as Vines or Smith? I go to the women's games whenever I can. I enjoy the games and the women display passion for the game and play their best game in and game out. I agree some things like different line combinations might help but only so much. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

  3. #123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    traveler
    Posts
    5

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut92 View Post
    but it's hard to hire a good new coach because the team is bad
    Vines was an assistant coach for the men's team for ten years until Smith came onboard.
    There is "hard to hire" and then there is just being lazy.

  4. #124
    mascot extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,685

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by theMarksman View Post
    Vines was an assistant coach for the men's team for ten years until Smith came onboard.
    There is "hard to hire" and then there is just being lazy.

    And Burke was a men's assistant under Fridgen when Bill Cahill died. What's your point?
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

    WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    And Burke was a men's assistant under Fridgen when Bill Cahill died. What's your point?
    Two games against union Dartmouth and one against Brown. Do you think RPI can win one of those?

  6. #126
    mascot extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,685

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Two games against union Dartmouth and one against Brown. Do you think RPI can win one of those?
    If they're on the ice, they have a chance.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

    WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

  7. #127
    Conductor emeritus
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by theMarksman View Post
    Vines was an assistant coach for the men's team for ten years until Smith came onboard.
    There is "hard to hire" and then there is just being lazy.
    You're absolutely right. They didn't try. The issue is that moving forward, it will continue to be very difficult to attract talent, either on or behind the bench.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

    2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

  8. #128
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,785

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    If they're on the ice, they have a chance.
    On the flip side if they don't score then there is 0% chance of winning (Unless you count ties as 1/2 of a win then they will have 2 wins )
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    And of 2 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray and Loren Gabel
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    358

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by AspyDad View Post
    This is so incredibly misinformed. The first class Vines got when he was hired was all Burkie's recruits. The second class is 1/2 Burke's recruits. Question, how come you are quick on the trigger for Bryan's head when you make every excuse in the world for Dave on the Men's thread?
    Because the women's team is literally winless, and have gotten worse under Vines, while the on-ice product is improving under Smith.

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    358

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Ho hum 2 more shutouts, 10/19 games we have been shutout. LIU is a first year program and I'd bet money that they would beat us easily

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    traveler
    Posts
    5

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    I'm have no affiliation with RPI and am somewhat new to women's hockey outside of the national teams, but I have become fascinated with RPIs season.

    From this thread, and stats it was clear that Lovisa was beyond exceptional, and the GAA this year is notable of that change.

    What I cannot reconcile is the four goals against Clarkson.

    That's 2x the teams historical average, 3x last year's average, 8x the average of all other games this season and amounting to over 30% of this season's total goals.

    Why?
    What was different with that game?

  12. #132
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,785

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by theMarksman View Post
    I'm have no affiliation with RPI and am somewhat new to women's hockey outside of the national teams, but I have become fascinated with RPIs season.

    From this thread, and stats it was clear that Lovisa was beyond exceptional, and the GAA this year is notable of that change.

    What I cannot reconcile is the four goals against Clarkson.

    That's 2x the teams historical average, 3x last year's average, 8x the average of all other games this season and amounting to over 30% of this season's total goals.

    Why?
    What was different with that game?
    Clarkson's starting goalie played poorly (five hole on the first goal that should have been stopped and poor puck control ie rebounds) and the defense throughout the game gave RPI too many good looks that for some reason RPI scored.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    And of 2 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray and Loren Gabel
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    traveler
    Posts
    5

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    And Burke was a men's assistant under Fridgen when Bill Cahill died. What's your point?
    For one, a lot has changed in women's hockey in the last 16 years.

    Also, just because something worked well enough once before, doesn't mean one should just phone it in and do the same thing, expecting the same result.

    Given that Lovisa was as exceptional as she was, and with two more years to go, I would think that there would be a number of experienced Women's coaches that would have relished the opportunity to build a team around that kind of talent, and then have that foundation to build future teams on.

    But instead, they just got into bed with some leftovers that Smith didn't even want.

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In My Own Little Cherry & White World
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by sezenack View Post
    Because the women's team is literally winless, and have gotten worse under Vines, while the on-ice product is improving under Smith.
    ranked 50th in the country got stretched to OT at home by the 55th ranked team and the winning pct.for 2yr .267 might be time for a product meeting Bud

  15. #135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    ranked 50th in the country got stretched to OT at home by the 55th ranked team and the winning pct.for 2yr .267 might be time for a product meeting Bud
    Can anyone say Graeme Townsend?

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canmore, Alberta
    Posts
    2,977

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Take heart RPI fans. No escaping the fact that this going to be a really tough season. We need to adjust our expectations and get behind the team as they make the most of what is available and begin to build for the future. My new goals for this season are twofold: 1) avoid the cellar, and 2) win the Union series. And for fans...just enjoy watching a group of athletes giving everything in every game and having fun.

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    1,226
    Quote Originally Posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    So the coaching question should include “what does he do with the talent they have.” They lost a great goalie (btw still undefeated at the Pride”). But they did score the last couple years. You can’t put it all on the goalie.
    True, but people underestimate how much a great goalie also helps the offense. I only watched one women’s game this year, but it seemed as if they were afraid to make a mistake. When you have a great goalie you can take chances to push the puck, attempt a difficult pass, join an offensive rush or pinch in on the points. Those improve the offense with the concurrent risk that it could lead to an odd-woman rush and require the goalie to bail them out. Given the limited offensive skills the Engineers have had over the years, the change in the style of play can make a significant difference.

  18. #138
    Conductor emeritus
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    I just want a goal this month.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

    2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

  19. #139
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    358

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut92 View Post
    I just want a goal this month.
    Odds are 50-50 for that if we're being honest. This team is pathetic, 0-20-1. McElroy is going to have a lot of questions to answer if he does not fire Vines after the season.

  20. #140
    Conductor emeritus
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: RPI 2019-2020: Life after Lovisa

    In case anyone was curious, KRACH gives us an expected point total of 2.2 at the end of the season, about 17 points out of a playoff spot (the bar for which is admittedly high this year). We can hang our hat on the fact that we at least aren't as abjectly garbage as the NEWHA, but just by virtue of that measly tie. It's gross.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

    2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •