Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL 2019-20: We'll Just Talk About Our Fantasy Teams Again....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NFL 2019-20: We'll Just Talk About Our Fantasy Teams Again....

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    For the locals, if you were trying to contrast the fan bases?

Here's the best I can come up with but none of them are very strong identifiers to me:

DET: (I draw a perfect blank. Are there any Lions fans?)
    CHI: bandwagon and brittle (slightly less ridiculous Pats fans)
    GB: loyal but self-congratulatory (St. Louis Cardinals fans)
    MIN: cursed, doomed, spiritually beaten (deeply reminiscent of Mets fans)
    DET goes into "here we go again" mode the millisecond the first thing goes wrong (look for heavy usage of the phrase "same old Lions.") Think MIN but with their guard permanently up - they know it's coming. MIN at least gets to have hope before letting their guard down and getting kicked in the jimmy.

DET also has a bit of an us vs. the world vibe - they're infamous for being on the wrong side of #refball shenanigans which contributes to it.
    Last edited by Twitch Boy; 08-15-2019, 03:45 PM.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Is there any difference at all between the fan bases of CHI, GB, DET, and MIN?
      There are no Lions fans. Bears and Vikings fans probably aren't that much different. Packers fans could possibly join that group if they cut their alcoholic intake by 750% and actually learned the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
        DET also has a bit of an us vs. the world vibe - they're infamous for being on the wrong side of #refball shenanigans which contributes to it.
        And remember the time they got ****y because Jim Harbaugh patted their coach's back a bit too hard for their tastes.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          There are no Lions fans. Bears and Vikings fans probably aren't that much different. Packers fans could possibly join that group if they cut their alcoholic intake by 750% and actually learned the game.
          There are most definitely Lions fans. There shouldn't be any, but rest assured, come September they are as optimistic as ever. That's usually quelled by the time Week 3 rolls around, however.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            There are most definitely Lions fans. There shouldn't be any, but rest assured, come September they are as optimistic as ever. That's usually quelled by the time Week 3 rolls around, however.
            LOL, "optimism." For every "ya gotta believe" uber-fan the Lions have, there are 100 more going "here we go again." I am part of the "here we go again" crowd.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Bills: 0-4 IN A ROW
              Last team to make the playoffs in the 2000s (this INCLUDES DET and CLE)
              So close and heartbreak? We're the king.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                Bills: 0-4 IN A ROW
                Last team to make the playoffs in the 2000s (this INCLUDES DET and CLE)
                So close and heartbreak? We're the king.
                Your coach benched a decent QB for Nathan Peterman.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  Your coach benched a decent QB for Nathan Peterman.
                  Yep. I am.............well aware. *sigh*
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    That was mostly a joke, but they're definitely not as noticeable.

Rube the Bills haven't lost half as many meaningful games as the Vikings even since you joined their bandwagon. You jumped ship anyway so you'll get no sympathy.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                      DET goes into "here we go again" mode the millisecond the first thing goes wrong (look for heavy usage of the phrase "same old Lions.")
                      So they're Jets fans?
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/stor...simmons/100129

And that's what people do. They send me e-mails like this:

I'm watching the Vikings-Saints game. So are the guys in the apartment next to me, only my TV is running 10 seconds slower than theirs. I just heard Favre's pick before it happened. And now they're going to OT, where the Saints are sure as hell gonna win the toss. The girl I love won't talk to me. Please give me a reason not to kill myself.
                        -- Nick, Minneapolis

As a lifelong Vikings fan, son of a lifelong Vikings fan, and grandson of a Vikings fan the day the team came into existence, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that tonight's game would end the way it did. Eight months ago I had my tonsils removed. Two percent of people have issues with the incision bleeding when they have a tonsillectomy. Again, as a Vikings fan I knew without a doubt that it would happen to me. It did. They tried to cauterize the wound with me awake, gagging and burning the back of my throat. I lost so much blood I needed an infusion of two pints. I would gladly relive that day every day for the rest of the year over tonight's game. Stomach punch?? Please, this was a groin kick followed by an uppercut to the chin followed by another kick to the nuts. Welcome to Minnesota.
                        -- Peter D., St. Paul

The Vikings loss is giving me bad flashbacks to breaking up with my prom date in high school. I knew it would probably happen, yet I still feel like I want to throw up and have a strange urge to listen to Richard Marx.
                        -- Rachael T., St. Paul

I don't know where this falls on your levels of losing rankings, but I can tell you I'd feel a lot better if somebody had just punched me in the stomach. I definitely feel it in my stomach, but it feels more like a virus, like a big, painful empty hole in the pit of my stomach, accompanied by throwing up, irritable bowels, shaking ... I just feel like curling up in a dark bathroom for the next 48 hours. I've been a Vikings fan my entire life, and I find myself questioning why. I'm not a religious man, but I imagine this is what a crisis of faith feels like.
                        -- Ryan K., Bloomington, Minn.

Please tell me it'll be OK. There are real problems in the world. Why do I hurt this much? A two-hour walk in the freezing cold didn't make me feel better and didn't make me feel cold. Why do I do this to myself? There are people in the world with real problems.
                        -- Dan, Salt Lake City (via St. Paul)

There really is no category for Vikes-Saints in your 16 Levels of Losing, so I vote for "The Banana Peel." I'll explain. Despite the constant fumbles and plethora of massive hits Favre took, I refused to be a victim and kept my hope alive -- just like the main character in a melodramatic Lifetime movie about someone battling some rare infectious disease. After fighting the whole way, it looked like the victim (me) was going to be OK (the final drive, especially Favre hitting Rice at the 50 and Taylor's run to the 33). And out of nowhere, because some hack director thinks it will infuse "true emotion and irony," a freak accident happens in which the disease survivor slips on the proverbial banana peel and cracks his head open on the one rock in a beautiful field of grass (read: 12 MEN IN THE HUDDLE!!!!). Of all the losses I've endured, this one falls into a whole new category, right?
                        -- David P., New York
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Don't ever read Bill Simmons. Don't ever quote Bill Simmons. And if you see him on the street don't ever let Bill Simmons escape you alive.

Bill Simmons is an embarrassment to Boston sports media, and Boston sports media sucks.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 08-16-2019, 08:09 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            That was mostly a joke, but they're definitely not as noticeable.

Rube the Bills haven't lost half as many meaningful games as the Vikings even since you joined their bandwagon. You jumped ship anyway so you'll get no sympathy.
                            When did I jump ship? And 1986 is when I hopped on the Bills wagon.

I did threaten to jump ship if they did that whole move-to-Canada thing, which they didn't.

Comment

Don't ever read Bill Simmons. Don't ever quote Bill Simmons. And if you see him on the street don't ever let Bill Simmons escape you alive.

Bill Simmons is an embarrassment to Boston sports media, and Boston sports media sucks.
                              Page 2 Bill Simmons was good.

Current, “Boston sports are the best, but also woe is me because only three of our teams made the championship, this is like the Sox drought all over again. My life sucks” Bill Simmons is not.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

So they're Jets fans?
                                Pretty close, but with a bit less less comic relief and a bit more cosmic loathing.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X