Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL 2019-20: We'll Just Talk About Our Fantasy Teams Again....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NFL 2019-20: We'll Just Talk About Our Fantasy Teams Again....

Getting back to the ref who was betting on his own games in hoops, he also said that he could predict with 75% accuracy who would win the games he was betting on that he wasn't officiating based on the biases and preferences of his fellow refs. For example, he could spot a pattern that certain refs either liked or disliked certain players/coaches and would call the game accordingly. Again, the officials are only human.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Getting back to the ref who was betting on his own games in hoops, he also said that he could predict with 75% accuracy who would win the games he was betting on that he wasn't officiating based on the biases and preferences of his fellow refs. For example, he could spot a pattern that certain refs either liked or disliked certain players/coaches and would call the game accordingly.
      While this is possible it also sounds a lot like Dump saying "everybody does it" whenever he gets caught.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I assumed they were just on the take from Milan.
        No, they both had very public profiles by that time. Collina had done the 2002 World Cup Final and Rosetti would go on to do the 2008 Euro Final. You don’t get those assignments if there’s even a whiff of being on the take.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          And the receiver who is all by himself and drops a pass that hits him in the numbers? A RB who has all sorts of room to the right, but cuts back to his left right into the line? Leon Lett touching that FG ball after it was blocked? Players do "stupid" s*it all the time.

Yes, there are truly "bad" calls. But they happen at the same rate (arguably even less often) than you see "bonehead" plays. This is the thing that people need to realize. It's not just 22 guys on that field that are performing at the absolute limitations of the human body. It's 29. As a sports culture, we need to start giving those 7 other guys the credit they deserve...
          You arent wrong...but that is the way it goes.
          They are expected to get it right...epecially when they also have the ability to use replay (which they screwed up on with a Lions catch)
          And it's not like the players get no scrutiny when they screw up.
          The big problem for me is no one ever knows what happens when these guys screw up that bad. Maybe that would lessen some of the howling if people actually knew there were consequences for these errors.
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
            They are expected to get it right...epecially when they also have the ability to use replay (which they screwed up on with a Lions catch)
            The big problem for me is no one ever knows what happens when these guys screw up that bad. Maybe that would lessen some of the howling if people actually knew there were consequences for these errors.
            its a fine line because they can't undermine referees too much and create this environment where everyone thinks they're always wrong.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              its a fine line because they can't undermine referees too much and create this environment where everyone thinks they're always wrong.
              Most fans seem to think they are already wrong all the time anyway.
              Protecting them the way these leagues do makes the impression these guys can't handle criticism (even internally when you have players and coaches being fined) and that is a worse look IMO.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Again, apply the same logic you would to a player. If a WR drops a pass once, it's no big deal. If it repeatedly happens, he gets cut. Same thing happens for the refs. You rarely hear how players are punished for stupid plays...

Just like teams do, this crew will have an eye opening film session this week. They will be blasted by the NFL Supervisors. If that blasting has a negative effect on future performance, it will go a long way in how the remainder of their NFL careers pan out. Trust me, every aspect of these guys lives are graded when they are on the field.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  No, they both had very public profiles by that time. Collina had done the 2002 World Cup Final and Rosetti would go on to do the 2008 Euro Final. You don’t get those assignments if there’s even a whiff of being on the take.
                  j/k
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Again, apply the same logic you would to a player. If a WR drops a pass once, it's no big deal. If it repeatedly happens, he gets cut. Same thing happens for the refs. You rarely hear how players are punished for stupid plays...

Just like teams do, this crew will have an eye opening film session this week. They will be blasted by the NFL Supervisors. If that blasting has a negative effect on future performance, it will go a long way in how the remainder of their NFL careers pan out. Trust me, every aspect of these guys lives are graded when they are on the field.
                    Players also have to face the media when they screw up.
                    No ref ever does and most of the time the leagues cover for them.
                    Refs are held to a different standard. Again...it may not be right but that's how it is. I do not and will not feel sorry for them.
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Do you seriously think that officials actively decide make more calls for Team A instead of Team B? Not just football, but any sport.
                      Yup
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Players also have to face the media when they screw up.
                        No ref ever does and most of the time the leagues cover for them.
                        Refs are held to a different standard. Again...it may not be right but that's how it is. I do not and will not feel sorry for them.
                        What do you want from an official addressing the media? "I missed the call."

How would you feel about this quote: "I missed the call on ____ play. But in reality, **your team** ran 94 offensive plays and 104 on defense. If they scored one more TD on any of those, my mistake is a moot one." The official can pick any number of non-conversions during a game and use that to cancel out their ONE mistake. Cause that is what you'll get if you start having officials address the media.

Reality is that in the major sports, officials legitimately have their life threatened over mistakes. If they address the media and make a single misstep in their speaking, that is throwing a tanker of fuel on an already out of control blaze. There is no out as an official. Half of the world will think your incompetent, no matter the call. That is another factor in this. Again, there is no way that an official can talk their way out of a mistake without having their life threatened. That is how sad/pathetic our current sports culture has become.
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          While this is possible it also sounds a lot like Dump saying "everybody does it" whenever he gets caught.
                          I read a pretty good book on the NBA scandal that Rover is referring to, and I also recall reference made about an ability to predict outcomes based in part on known biases of the officials working the game.

That "science" is very real, and isn't just known to Tim Donaghy, the NBA ref who fixed the games. It is well known by the Las Vegas sports books and by the sharp money betting sports, as well as many others, I'm sure.

HBO Real Sports did a segment a few years ago that referenced a study done of MLB home plate umpires balls and strike calls. First, the number of erroneous calls was pretty significant, like 20 or 30%. But when examined in terms of who they favored (home or visiting team), especially in the playoffs, the numbers were crazy. An ump might be wrong 20% of the time, but 80% of those instances would favor the home team.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Performance by officials are reviewed each and every week by the league.

Most fans don't pay enough attention to know which set of officials, or which individual officials are assigned to the various games each week. The NFL will put their top performing officials into the highest profile games each week, and then promote them by giving their best officials games during the playoffs. The top two or three squads get a crack at the Super Bowl, depending upon a few factors.

The underperforming groups tend to be assigned to the Jets, Lions, or Redskins games, and the worst performing individuals will find themselves without steady weekly assignments. Then at the end of the season, if the worst performers are below a certain threshold, they will be cut loose from the league.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

What do you want from an official addressing the media? "I missed the call."

How would you feel about this quote: "I missed the call on ____ play. But in reality, **your team** ran 94 offensive plays and 104 on defense. If they scored one more TD on any of those, my mistake is a moot one." The official can pick any number of non-conversions during a game and use that to cancel out their ONE mistake. Cause that is what you'll get if you start having officials address the media.

Reality is that in the major sports, officials legitimately have their life threatened over mistakes. If they address the media and make a single misstep in their speaking, that is throwing a tanker of fuel on an already out of control blaze. There is no out as an official. Half of the world will think your incompetent, no matter the call. That is another factor in this. Again, there is no way that an official can talk their way out of a mistake without having their life threatened. That is how sad/pathetic our current sports culture has become.
                              Again...you aren't wrong. But you also are the one who keeps wanting to compare players to refs.
                              The players are held accountable by the media each week. You want them compared...then the same standards should apply.
                              Players also get death threats. Blair Walsh did for missing a kick in a playoff game and ive heard of it happening to college kids too.
                              And im sorry but this boo hoo woe is the refs thing doesn't fly with me. I'm not crushing a pee wee official here.. This is the NFL...the highest level of your profession...get it right. If not...then start adding replay to penalties.
                              Again...the optics is what I'm talking about here
                              ..perception is reality. And the perception this morning is the league has massive egg on its face amd deservedly so.
                              Last edited by First Time, Long Time; 10-15-2019, 12:22 PM.
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Performance by officials are reviewed each and every week by the league.

Most fans don't pay enough attention to know which set of officials, or which individual officials are assigned to the various games each week. The NFL will put their top performing officials into the highest profile games each week, and then promote them by giving their best officials games during the playoffs. The top two or three squads get a crack at the Super Bowl, depending upon a few factors.

The underperforming groups tend to be assigned to the Jets, Lions, or Redskins games, and the worst performing individuals will find themselves without steady weekly assignments. Then at the end of the season, if the worst performers are below a certain threshold, they will be cut loose from the league.
                                i am well aware of all of this.
                                Again...im talking about optics.
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Working...
                                X