Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2019-20: It'll Just Be Alabama vs. Clemson AGAIN.

Re: College Football 2019-20: It'll Just Be Alabama vs. Clemson AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    OK, so that's where I should go now for Deadspin/Splinter/Gawker stuff, good to know.
    Not any more because it was within the ex-Gawker world.

I'm sure we will get word of a new clubhouse when it's built.

The only thing that worries me longterm is the Onion. I didn't know these PE morons hadn't gotten their hooks in it too.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Meanwhile the PAC-12 has two teams in the top 10 and only two teams with 5 losses. 0 with 6+ losses. How much time did ESPN spend discussing that? Let me guess: 0 minutes.
    No one cares.

Yep, still here

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    No one cares.
    Not even people in the Pacific time zone, usually.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Gameday just talked about 4 games today that are must wins for both teams, otherwise the season is over- as in no bowl games.
    One was Nebraska v Purdue.
    5 of the rest 6 were SEC schools- Tennessee, Miss St, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt.

Think about that- the "best" conference top to bottom could have 3 of their teams eliminated this week from bowl games, and the others next weekend if they, again loose. Someone needs to remind me why that conference is so good top to bottom. Old Miss also has 5 losses.

SEC has 6 teams with 5 or more losses, B1G 4. And we all know that SEC has a LOT of cupcakes on their schedules. Like Alabama A&M, NIU, Charleston So, Portland State, etc...
    Counting losses is as futile as counting wins. It matters who you beat and who you lost to. Every SEC team with 5+ losses have at least 3 losses to SEC teams, so Iím not sure what thatís supposed to be telling us about the SECís strength relative to other conferences.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Counting losses is as futile as counting wins. It matters who you beat and who you lost to. Every SEC team with 5+ losses have at least 3 losses to SEC teams, so I’m not sure what that’s supposed to be telling us about the SEC’s strength relative to other conferences.
    But as I pointed out, the SEC non conference wins suck, too. The best ever Alabama plays Western Carolina next week. And they have played powerhouse Mercer in game one. Other than SEC schools, their schedule is a joke- I'd be ****ed as a fan seeing the crappy games. LSU's best game is Texas, who is turning out to not be all that good.

Granted, Pedo State played my terrible Vandals in game one.

Still- to make any decent conclusions relative to other conferences, shouldn't they play a better non conference schedule?

What makes me sick now is the discussion that both LSU and Bama should get into the playoffs despite the fact (and it is a fact) that one of those two teams isn't even going to win their division. So much for the regular season mattering. Right NOW, the B1G has 3 undefeated teams. And, IMHO, Minnesota has had as tough a real schedule to the SEC, when you compare their entire non-conference schedule. Nobody is even thinking about Pedo AND OSU making it in, and I'm 100% sure that if an undefeated Minny closely beats an undefeated OSU in the B1G champ game, both teams will not be going. Let alone a 1 lost Pedo state be considered.

Then again, the reality is that outside of the SEC, not many care about them, so ESPN will suffer for eyes to watch. I've not watched the championship game....

Iím not saying I disagree with your thesis, just that pointing to 5-loss teams isnít great supporting evidence.

Many of the non-con wins are meaningless, and several of the non-con losses are real stinkers. Thatís where there is hay to be made.

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    No one cares.
    Maybe if ESPN gave teams west of Texas more than a passing mention it would help.

Yeah, but based on how Oregon manhandled an Auburn team that already has 2 SEC losses...oh.

I hate the SEC as much as the rest, but it certainly is possible that Alabama and LSU actually ARE 2 of the 4 best teams. Fortunately they all still have games to play that will help answer the question. It's pretty pointless to complain about it right now.

BC has 484 total yards and 44 points in the 1st half @ Syracuse.
    A bad cause requires many words.

He fixes the cable?

Lol, Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    I hate the SEC as much as the rest, but it certainly is possible that Alabama and LSU actually ARE 2 of the 4 best teams.
    Based on what I've seen, LSU is the best team in the country. Alabama probably is a top 4 team as well. The biggest problem I have in the event both LSU and Alabama get in, is that winning your conference should matter more than it does. The real solution to all the griping about the SEC is to let each of the Power 5 conference's champions into the Playoff, and then one of the following options to fill out an eight team filed: (a) use the committee to pick the top 3 at-large bids; or (b) use the committee to pick the top 2 at-large bids, as well as the top Group of 5 conference champion. I'd prefer (b), but could live with (a).

Last year, under option (a):
    1. Alabama v. 9. Washington
    2. Clemson v. 7. Michigan
    3. Notre Dame v. 6. Ohio State
    4. Oklahoma v. 5. Georgia

Last year, under option (b):
    1. Alabama v. 9. Washington
    2. Clemson v. 8. UCF
    3. Notre Dame v. 6. Ohio State
    4. Oklahoma v. 5. Georgia

2017 (a):
    1. Clemson v. 8. Southern Cal
    2. Oklahoma v. 7. Auburn
    3. Georgia v. 6. Wisconsin
    4. Alabama v. 5. Ohio State

2017 (b):
    1. Clemson v. 12. UCF
    2. Oklahoma v. 8. Southern Cal
    3. Georgia v. 6. Wisconsin
    4. Alabama v. 5. Ohio State

2016 (a):
    1. Alabama v. 8. Wisconsin
    2. Clemson v. 7. Oklahoma
    3. Ohio State v. 6. Michigan
    4. Washington v. 5. Penn State

2016 (b)
    1. Alabama v. 15. Western Michigan
    2. Clemson v. 7. Oklahoma
    3. Ohio State v. 6. Michigan
    4. Washington v. 5. Penn State

I'd even be okay with incorporating the traditional bowls for the Quarterfinals and reseed after for the Semifinals. For example, last year, under option (b):

Rose Bowl (B1G v. Pac 12): 6. Ohio State v. 9. Washington
    Orange Bowl (ACC Champion): 2. Clemson v. 8. UCF
    Sugar Bowl (SEC v. Big 12): 1. Alabama v. 4. Oklahoma
    Fiesta Bowl (At-Large/Notre Dame): 3. Notre Dame v. 5. Georgia
    Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 11-02-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Lucia Apologist

Every known advanced computer ranking system as a composite:

https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Note the conference rankings at the bottom
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 11-02-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Every known advanced computer ranking system as a composite:

https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Note the conference rankings at the bottom
    I wouldn't put much stock into those rankings. As to specific teams, I'm not sure there is enough of a sample size to justify the rankings. For example, I don't believe anyone would argue that Baylor is better than Clemson and Alabama, yet there are models that say just that. And then there are models that say Baylor is the 44th best team. Similarly, there is at least one model that puts Utah at #2, and another model has them at #45. One model puts SMU at #3, and another has them at #61. I get that the site averages the rankings, but when you have rankings that are so wildly off base that tends to skew the results.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    I wouldn't put much stock into those rankings. As to specific teams, I'm not sure there is enough of a sample size to justify the rankings. For example, I don't believe anyone would argue that Baylor is better than Clemson and Alabama, yet there are models that say just that. And then there are models that say Baylor is the 44th best team. Similarly, there is at least one model that puts Utah at #2, and another model has them at #45. One model puts SMU at #3, and another has them at #61. I get that the site averages the rankings, but when you have rankings that are so wildly off base that tends to skew the results.
    But thatís the point. They all evaluate teams based on different criteria and usually very different methods. They also incorporate predictive and non-predictive models. So itís taking into account a bevy of stats, results (some are even result agnostic, which is interesting), schedules, geographies, and a few are purely human. So by evaluating from so many aspects, itís a good, well-rounded model.

The only critique you could have is that some of the models might be over-represented because theyíre similar.

The outliers are fine to include because itís looking at a different way of evaluating the teams. I donít see that as a negative, rather, thatís a positive feature.

But thatís the point. They all evaluate teams based on different criteria and usually very different methods. They also incorporate predictive and non-predictive models. So itís taking into account a bevy of stats, results (some are even result agnostic, which is interesting), schedules, geographies, and a few are purely human. So by evaluating from so many aspects, itís a good, well-rounded model.

The only critique you could have is that some of the models might be over-represented because theyíre similar.

The outliers are fine to include because itís looking at a different way of evaluating the teams. I donít see that as a negative, rather, thatís a positive feature.
    So including obviously incorrect polls is a good thing?

The team aggregates look fairly ok not a lot to argue against, but the conference one at the bottom seems off. I count (2?) BIG12 teams in the Top 20 but it's the #1 conference?

there's a good buck in that racket.

While the big ten may suffer, whatever keep psu irrelevant is a-ok with mookie

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Utah
    First in Mormons, second in football

Lucia Apologist

So including obviously incorrect polls is a good thing?
    Did you not read the post?

Did you not read the post?
    I read your post. Which led to my question to confirm my understanding of your position, namely that you believe that it is a good thing to include obviously incorrect rankings. Is my understanding correct?

Thread Information