Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football 2019-20: It'll Just Be Alabama vs. Clemson AGAIN.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: College Football 2019-20: It'll Just Be Alabama vs. Clemson AGAIN.

Because if one person says 2+2=4, and one person says 8, you should definitely go with 6.

A ranking should tell you something about the relative probability of who would win a game of football. You could rank teams by number of players with last names in the first half of the alphabet, which would be a perfectly objective and well-defined ranking, but it doesn’t tell you a darn thing about who is likely to win football games.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

When you get into computer analytics, it's strictly numbers driven.

Team A is 7-0. They are scoring 48 points/game. But they are giving up 42 points/game.

Team B is 7-0. They are scoring 17/game but have given up under 90 points on the year.

Which team is better?

You can get drastically different outcomes from these teams with computer models. When these teams play, you get the irresistible force vs immovable object argument on one side of the ball and two crap sides on the opposite. The values for each ranking are the variable. It comes down to whether the analytics favor offense or defense. A side must be chosen by the computers. There is no "eye test" with this type of comparison.

I don't put all my stock in computer rankings, but they absolutely can show cracks in human polls.
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
        Because if one person says 2+2=4, and one person says 8, you should definitely go with 6.

A ranking should tell you something about the relative probability of who would win a game of football. You could rank teams by number of players with last names in the first half of the alphabet, which would be a perfectly objective and well-defined ranking, but it doesn’t tell you a darn thing about who is likely to win football games.
        The problem is when you don’t know who is saying ‘4’ and who is saying 6
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          The problem is when you don’t know who is saying ‘4’ and who is saying 6
          In that hypothetical, one of the rankings (we have no clue which) is saying 4, and Massey is saying 6.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

If you ignore Utah and Oregon at 7-1, the remaining Pac-12 records are 5-3, 5-4, 5-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-5, 4-5 and 3-6.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Florida State eats $17 million and fires Willie Taggart. Well, you can fire one coach early and survive. Fire a second and you become Tennessee.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                Florida State eats $17 million and fires Willie Taggart. Well, you can fire one coach early and survive. Fire a second and you become Tennessee.
                Lane Kiffin shouldn't count towards a school's total.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Lane Kiffin shouldn't count towards a school's total.
                  Yes, he should. Stupid hiring has consequences.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Countdown to the Fleck to Florida State talk in 3... 2...
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Countdown to the Fleck to Florida State talk in 3... 2...
                      You're already too late.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

That sounds like a downgrade for Fleck. He should hold out for a relevant program.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

If Fleck can keep it up here, he could become a deity. Or he can get really paid somewhere else in the SEC or something and just be another coach cog in the massive machine.

I guess it's up to him.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            If Fleck can keep it up here, he could become a deity. Or he can get really paid somewhere else in the SEC or something and just be another coach cog in the massive machine.

I guess it's up to him.
                            I wouldn't leave for the SEC until Saban retires.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I wouldn't leave for the SEC until Saban retires.
                              Which isn’t to be long. He just turned 68. I’d be surprised if he’s still coaching in 5 years.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                That sounds like a downgrade for Fleck. He should hold out for a relevant program.
                                Your optimism is amazing, and I hope you are right.

But do you really think Minnesota is in a better place than MSU was when Saban left? I can't see your school out spending any of the southern schools.

And, oddly enough, in a VERY small sample size, Fleck is demonstrating that his style of coaching is capable of moving. Like Meyer, unlike Harbaugh and Kelly and Frost. So whoever in the south that wants to take the risk has some good indicators that the choice will be a good one.

Comment

Working...
                                X