Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2019-20: It'll Just Be Alabama vs. Clemson AGAIN.

Re: College Football 2019-20: It'll Just Be Alabama vs. Clemson AGAIN.

Because if one person says 2+2=4, and one person says 8, you should definitely go with 6.

A ranking should tell you something about the relative probability of who would win a game of football. You could rank teams by number of players with last names in the first half of the alphabet, which would be a perfectly objective and well-defined ranking, but it doesnít tell you a darn thing about who is likely to win football games.

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

When you get into computer analytics, it's strictly numbers driven.

Team A is 7-0. They are scoring 48 points/game. But they are giving up 42 points/game.

Team B is 7-0. They are scoring 17/game but have given up under 90 points on the year.

Which team is better?

You can get drastically different outcomes from these teams with computer models. When these teams play, you get the irresistible force vs immovable object argument on one side of the ball and two crap sides on the opposite. The values for each ranking are the variable. It comes down to whether the analytics favor offense or defense. A side must be chosen by the computers. There is no "eye test" with this type of comparison.

I don't put all my stock in computer rankings, but they absolutely can show cracks in human polls.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Because if one person says 2+2=4, and one person says 8, you should definitely go with 6.

A ranking should tell you something about the relative probability of who would win a game of football. You could rank teams by number of players with last names in the first half of the alphabet, which would be a perfectly objective and well-defined ranking, but it doesnít tell you a darn thing about who is likely to win football games.
    The problem is when you donít know who is saying Ď4í and who is saying 6

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The problem is when you donít know who is saying Ď4í and who is saying 6
    In that hypothetical, one of the rankings (we have no clue which) is saying 4, and Massey is saying 6.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

If you ignore Utah and Oregon at 7-1, the remaining Pac-12 records are 5-3, 5-4, 5-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-4, 4-5, 4-5 and 3-6.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Yep, still here

Florida State eats $17 million and fires Willie Taggart. Well, you can fire one coach early and survive. Fire a second and you become Tennessee.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    Florida State eats $17 million and fires Willie Taggart. Well, you can fire one coach early and survive. Fire a second and you become Tennessee.
    Lane Kiffin shouldn't count towards a school's total.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Lane Kiffin shouldn't count towards a school's total.
    Yes, he should. Stupid hiring has consequences.

He fixes the cable?

Countdown to the Fleck to Florida State talk in 3... 2...

Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    Countdown to the Fleck to Florida State talk in 3... 2...
    You're already too late.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

That sounds like a downgrade for Fleck. He should hold out for a relevant program.

If Fleck can keep it up here, he could become a deity. Or he can get really paid somewhere else in the SEC or something and just be another coach cog in the massive machine.

I guess it's up to him.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    If Fleck can keep it up here, he could become a deity. Or he can get really paid somewhere else in the SEC or something and just be another coach cog in the massive machine.

I guess it's up to him.
    I wouldn't leave for the SEC until Saban retires.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I wouldn't leave for the SEC until Saban retires.
    Which isnít to be long. He just turned 68. Iíd be surprised if heís still coaching in 5 years.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    That sounds like a downgrade for Fleck. He should hold out for a relevant program.
    Your optimism is amazing, and I hope you are right.

But do you really think Minnesota is in a better place than MSU was when Saban left? I can't see your school out spending any of the southern schools.

And, oddly enough, in a VERY small sample size, Fleck is demonstrating that his style of coaching is capable of moving. Like Meyer, unlike Harbaugh and Kelly and Frost. So whoever in the south that wants to take the risk has some good indicators that the choice will be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post

But do you really think Minnesota is in a better place than MSU was when Saban left? I can't see your school out spending any of the southern schools.

And, oddly enough, in a VERY small sample size, Fleck is demonstrating that his style of coaching is capable of moving. Like Meyer, unlike Harbaugh and Kelly and Frost. So whoever in the south that wants to take the risk has some good indicators that the choice will be a good one.
    I'm not optimistic that he stays. I'm just saying dont go to a sh*t school like FSU.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    I'm not optimistic that he stays. I'm just saying dont go to a sh*t school like FSU.
    I'm not sure I see FSU now as any worse than LSU was before Saban. Gerry DiNardo had a 4-7 and then a 3-9 record prior to Saban- which was way worse than FSU is doing now.

Saban had been coaching in college/NFL for 27 years (several of those in the NFL) and was the head coach of MSU for 5 seasons before he left for LSU. Fleck has been coaching for 11 years with 1 year in the NFL. I don't think LSU (as an example) would be keen on Fleck's rah rah style.

As far as whether or not MSU was in a, "better place" the school had a 51% WIN% between Stolz and Perles leading up to Saban, and Saban overall was only 59%. That's not lighting the conference on fire. Minnesota's campus location is enticing and local support is growing.

BT schools don't traditionally lose coaches voluntarily and success for those have left has been mixed. For every Holtz there's a Bret Beelzebub.

Now even with all that said I'm not going to go, "tMel will never leave MTU" on the bit because anything is possible and Fleck may eventually see an offer he can't refuse. But he loves the Big Ten and Minnesota might be more in position now to match other offers than they've ever been in their history.

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Saban had been coaching in college/NFL for 27 years (several of those in the NFL) and was the head coach of MSU for 5 seasons before he left for LSU. Fleck has been coaching for 11 years with 1 year in the NFL. I don't think LSU (as an example) would be keen on Fleck's rah rah style.

As far as whether or not MSU was in a, "better place" the school had a 51% WIN% between Stolz and Perles leading up to Saban, and Saban overall was only 59%. That's not lighting the conference on fire. Minnesota's campus location is enticing and local support is growing.

BT schools don't traditionally lose coaches voluntarily and success for those have left has been mixed. For every Holtz there's a Bret Beelzebub.

Now even with all that said I'm not going to go, "tMel will never leave MTU" on the bit because anything is possible and Fleck may eventually see an offer he can't refuse. But he loves the Big Ten and Minnesota might be more in position now to match other offers than they've ever been in their history.
    Bless you guys, but I don't see Minnesota as a destination coaching place for college football. As good as you have it, I'm betting most see it as a stepping stone to someplace else. *Maybe* you are right, but just looking at the consideration that an undefeated Minnesota is currently getting, vs if FSU was a one loss team, well..... Minnesota growing vs. FSU. Think about that.

Bless you guys, but I don't see Minnesota as a destination coaching place for college football. As good as you have it, I'm betting most see it as a stepping stone to someplace else. *Maybe* you are right, but just looking at the consideration that an undefeated Minnesota is currently getting, vs if FSU was a one loss team, well..... Minnesota growing vs. FSU. Think about that.
    Both Glen Mason and Tubby Smith could have left multiple times yet never did. I am not saying it's not going to happen and am not claiming Minnesota is a bigger destination than say Alabama, but it's not Appalachian State either. So you can blow your blessings out of your Ann Arbor is a whore ass!

Thread Information