Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 164

Thread: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhouse

  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by UMD21 View Post
    Perunovich. The clear Hobey candidate of the team so far. Losing Mikey Anderson was a painful loss but he痴 filling the role well
    Agree 100%. Perunovich is playing a different game than everyone else at this level. The way he changes the speed at which the team plays is impressive.

    Noah Cates has also impressed me a lot. One of the most consistent players, in my opinion. Not flashy, but skilled and gritty.

  2. #122
    Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,912

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Quote Originally Posted by UMD622 View Post
    While getting swept by Wisconsin will never look good, I wonder if those losses will look as bad at the end of the season. Wisconsin has a lot of young talent who may just take some time adjusting to the college game. Maybe like UMD 2 yrs ago.

    I think your point about UMD痴 playoff experience being huge. Not saying any team or player can just turn it on when they want, but I think UMD has another gear or two and hopefully the team will get there by the end of the year.
    I worry those will be the worst losses of the year. Wisconsin is just sputtering and their goaltending continues to be an issue.

    UMD's playoff experience is their best asset. Being swept at the end of the year by SCSU was the catalyst for their post-season run, just as the 2018 Frozen Faceoff was the year before. What will get them in the right mindset in the second half?
    tUMD Hockey

    "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

  3. #123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    I worry those will be the worst losses of the year. Wisconsin is just sputtering and their goaltending continues to be an issue.

    UMD's playoff experience is their best asset. Being swept at the end of the year by SCSU was the catalyst for their post-season run, just as the 2018 Frozen Faceoff was the year before. What will get them in the right mindset in the second half?
    You may be right about the Wisconsin losses. Wisconsin does seem to be a school where quality goaltenders go to become/appear mediocre. Not sure why that is.

    With that said, UMD needs to take care of business at Merrimack. Losses to Merrimack will really hurt like UND痴 losses to Canisius last year.

  4. #124
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,702

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Two factors for UW:

    1- Our goaltending Svengali that gave us the likes of Mike Richter, Curtis Joseph, Brian Elliott, et al hasn稚 been with the program for the better part of a decade.

    2- Even still, the goaltending isn稚 the problem, our defensive corps plays like absolute pylons under Granato.

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Duluth
    Posts
    700

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Welp, I was somewhat correct in predicting UMD would make a mid-season roster addition. They did...just not a defenseman as I thought:

    https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...epth-at-center

    Forward Ben Almquist, who previously committed to Bucky, is joining the team immediately from Austin (NAHL).
    tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by section16rowA View Post
    Welp, I was somewhat correct in predicting UMD would make a mid-season roster addition. They did...just not a defenseman as I thought:

    https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...epth-at-center

    Forward Ben Almquist, who previously committed to Bucky, is joining the team immediately from Austin (NAHL).
    Yeah, it was a little surprising. Looks like he痴 been a goal scorer in the NAHL. Maybe try to spark one of the bottom two lines. Not a whole lot of scoring from that part of the lineup.

    The past few years the depth at forward has been great. This year most of the scoring is coming from top two lines.

    Not that we will ever find out, but I知 curious if there痴 more to the story than just trying to provide some more forward depth and competition?

  7. #127
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Two factors for UW:

    1- Our goaltending Svengali that gave us the likes of Mike Richter, Curtis Joseph, Brian Elliott, et al hasn稚 been with the program for the better part of a decade.

    2- Even still, the goaltending isn稚 the problem, our defensive corps plays like absolute pylons under Granato.
    Admittedly, I haven稚 watched much Wisconsin hockey, so I can稚 speak to what is the cause of the problem. I just see Wisconsin goalie stats and they致e been pretty pedestrian the last few years.

  8. #128
    I got the juice
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calirado
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by section16rowA View Post

    Forward Ben Almquist, who previously committed to Bucky, is joining the team immediately from Austin (NAHL).
    Thank you as I didn稚 exactly recognize his name as a commit. FWIW Bucky is notorious for having recruiting classes of like 40 guys they cherry pick off of so not a huge surprise but given his stats maybe tDogs stole one that may have actually been on the team after all.

  9. #129
    Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,912

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Two factors for UW:

    1- Our goaltending Svengali that gave us the likes of Mike Richter, Curtis Joseph, Brian Elliott, et al hasn稚 been with the program for the better part of a decade.

    2- Even still, the goaltending isn稚 the problem, our defensive corps plays like absolute pylons under Granato.
    For as much hype as Granato had he has not come close to living up to expectations. It surprises me.
    tUMD Hockey

    "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    For as much hype as Granato had he has not come close to living up to expectations. It surprises me.
    He痴 certainly lining up and bringing in the talent. For some reason hasn稚 translated to consistent wins on the ice. Not sure if it痴 player development or just not a great mix of the right types of guys.

    I remember hearing an interview with Jason Herter where he indicated UMD recruited Parker Mackay because he was voted Most Competitive Player in the AJHL 2 yrs in a row. They felt he had future captain written all over him.

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by UMD21 View Post
    Thank you as I didn稚 exactly recognize his name as a commit. FWIW Bucky is notorious for having recruiting classes of like 40 guys they cherry pick off of so not a huge surprise but given his stats maybe tDogs stole one that may have actually been on the team after all.
    In the short term it sounds like they brought him because of his positional versatility and to provide some competition for some current players. If he adds scoring, that痴 just a bonus. Eventually seems like a scorer that they値l rely on to score goals, but not necessarily right away.

  12. #132
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Although Merrimack is like 50th in Pairwise looking at their schedule, they致e played some tight games (even ties) with some quality teams. Blowout losses to Wisconsin and Penn State, but other than that typically competitive games.

    UMD should have their hands full with them this coming series.

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    79

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Quote Originally Posted by UMD622 View Post
    Although Merrimack is like 50th in Pairwise looking at their schedule, they致e played some tight games (even ties) with some quality teams. Blowout losses to Wisconsin and Penn State, but other than that typically competitive games.

    UMD should have their hands full with them this coming series.
    Yup. Totally agree. My prediction for the Sunday/Monday match is for a closer one than most would imagine.

    Excited to see the Team in Merrimack today/tomorrow. We'll be wearing our gear -stopping short of face paint. Go UMD!

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    400

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Quote Originally Posted by UMD622 View Post
    Although Merrimack is like 50th in Pairwise looking at their schedule, they致e played some tight games (even ties) with some quality teams. Blowout losses to Wisconsin and Penn State, but other than that typically competitive games.

    UMD should have their hands full with them this coming series.
    I don't know if it was the fact it was a Sunday game or if the Merrimack players had less faith than you did, but that was a snoozer yesterday.
    "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

  15. #135
    I got the juice
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calirado
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by dogs2012 View Post
    I don't know if it was the fact it was a Sunday game or if the Merrimack players had less faith than you did, but that was a snoozer yesterday.
    I was scared to check the score yesterday we readdy need PWR. UMD game available to stream today like yesterday? Would love to watch sitting around the airport.
    Last edited by UMD21; 12-30-2019 at 07:05 PM.

  16. #136
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Duluth, Minnesota
    Posts
    400

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Quote Originally Posted by UMD21 View Post
    I was scared to check the score yesterday we readdy need PWR. UMD game available to stream today like yesterday? Would love to watch sitting around the airport.
    I知 throwing around serious interest to make the road trip to GF. I went to hockey camp in that arena but never watched a game there. This year seems as good as any other year to do it
    Yes it's on the same CBS All-Access site like it was yesterday. It's actually a really good video feed and the announcers seem to have an affinity for the Bulldogs. You have to create an account for a 1 week trial so set a reminder to cancel the subscription before the week is up or you'll be paying whatever the monthly fee is.
    "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

  17. #137
    Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,912

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Took care of business against Merrimack, which boosted their non-conference record to 5-5 and improved their Pairwise to 10th. The players talked about resetting mentally for the second half. Let's hope they so and hopefully UMD can win a couple more titles before the season is done.

  18. #138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Biddco View Post
    Took care of business against Merrimack, which boosted their non-conference record to 5-5 and improved their Pairwise to 10th. The players talked about resetting mentally for the second half. Let's hope they so and hopefully UMD can win a couple more titles before the season is done.
    Seems weird to say that a mid-season non-conference sweep to a lower tier team is huge, but it absolutely was. Kudos to the players for coming through. While I haven稚 done the math to figure out what could have been, I知 guessing a split or a Merrimack sweep would have made things incredibly difficult for the team NCAA-tournament wise. At the risk of overstating it, that seemed like a must-sweep and they did that. Good for them.

    I didn稚 see Sunday痴 game, but I did watch Monday痴 game and I thought UMD looked good. Shut down Merrimack defensively. Really good sign to see Richards and Koepke playing so well.

    On to the 2nd half.

  19. #139
    I got the juice
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Calirado
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    Big month coming up! Let痴 go!
    At that point of season where I知 just hating polls all together. Too early in the season they mean nothing and very speculative, late season only pairwise matters in all reality. If UMD gets in this year on the bubble, right now would have DU to thank singlehandedly for saving our PWR with their strong NC sweeps of Hockey East. Wisconsin getting hot would help. I don稚 think Badgers can overcome pairwise for an at large but could win their tourney.
    Hopefully Sandelin comes back with fire in his eyes coming home medal-less. Bronze and silver medal on teams loaded with Bulldogs, no medals with no Bulldog skaters. Hm... ;-)

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Duluth
    Posts
    700

    Re: UMD 船ogs 2019-2020: Fish Fry at Amsoil Arena Will Make UMD A Perennial Powerhous

    No posts during the entire Western series?? I guess I am guilty as the rest of the regular UMD posters, but I was out of town for a long weekend. Someone in my group still found a way to stream FSN out of state, so got to see Friday win...after Western tied it 3-3, I was concerned, but the boys stayed with it.

    SCSU got swept out in Denver and sits last in league. How probable is a UMD sweep in the Granite City this weekend?
    tUMD season ticket holder since 1983-84.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •