Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The States: North Dakota? Come On, Ohio Is The Worst State Ever.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Duke and Stanford do exactly the same thing.

How these schools treat their showponies has nothing to do with their status as elite academic institutions. Come close and I will whisper the secret of the universe: the top 10% are all that ever matter, academically. Everybody else is getting a credential so they can dig ditches. I'd put the top 10% of students coming out of UNC against Dartmouth and Brown, not to mention any B1G.
    By that token, I'd put the top 10% of Iowa State up against SUNY-Ithaca.

Comment

• Re: The States: North Dakota? Come On, Ohio Is The Worst State Ever.

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      By that token, I'd put the top 10% of Iowa State up against SUNY-Ithaca.
      Insofar as the top 10% of students from almost any school x are better than the average student at any school y, sure.

The only exceptions that come to mind are MIT and CalTech. I don't think either has ballast.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Duke and Stanford do exactly the same thing.

How these schools treat their showponies has nothing to do with their status as elite academic institutions. Come close and I will whisper the secret of the universe: the top 10% of students are all that ever matter, academically. Everybody else is getting a credential so they can dig ditches. I'd put the top 10% of students coming out of UNC against Dartmouth and Brown, not to mention any B1G.
        Much as I hate to admit it (having grown up in the South), I have to agree with Kepler. There are just so few elite universities in the South (Duke, Ga Tech, Va Tech, Vanderbilt, and that's about it) that there are plenty of national-quality elite students who don't want to go to school too far from home that end up at the so-called "second tier" Southern schools (UNC, UVA, and the smaller liberal arts schools like Davidson).
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Much as I hate to admit it (having grown up in the South), I have to agree with Kepler. There are just so few elite universities in the South (Duke, Ga Tech, Va Tech, Vanderbilt, and that's about it) that there are plenty of national-quality elite students who don't want to go to school too far from home that end up at the so-called "second tier" Southern schools (UNC, UVA, and the smaller liberal arts schools like Davidson).
          Tulane and Emory, maybe? And there's that awesome writers' college in Appalachia that gives all their students a free ride.

The West is the same. If you're the #1 kid in your HS class in AZ you might go to Stanford or UCLA but you are much more likely to go to UA. OTOH, at my HS on Long Island the top 20 students (of 600) all went to Ivies. Where were they going to go? SUNY-Albany? LIU?
          Last edited by Kepler; 10-03-2019, 11:35 AM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            I am not saying UNC wasnt an elite institution at one time...I am saying they forfeited that when they sold out their accreditation for sports. It is one thing to let the athletes cheat...EVERY SCHOOL DOES THAT! (which also annoys the hell out of me) They took it to the next level and let everyone in the student body (or to put it in Kepler's Almost Ivy League ****off terms "The Showponies and the Credentialed Ditch Diggers" ) do it which means they lose any claim at being elite now. They might as well be the University of Phoenix with standards like that

I get that this is part of Kepler's "Academic Trolling" where he tries to rile everyone up so we can make fun of him for overpaying for a SUNY education ( ) which I am always willing to indulge him in but he just needs to pick his examples better. His trolling game has fallen off...probably from all the Beltway Cocktail Parties he has been going to. They probably LOVE his schtick there though because it fits right in with their ridiculously wrongheaded air of superiority. Problem is if you only work out your material to friendly audiences you become complacent and you never reach the true levels of greatness!

tl;dr: Kepler's troll game is weak. I expect better of you buddy.

(see Kepler I can do it too!!)
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I am not saying UNC wasnt an elite institution at one time...I am saying they forfeited that when they sold out their accreditation for sports. It is one thing to let the athletes cheat...EVERY SCHOOL DOES THAT! (which also annoys the hell out of me) They took it to the next level and let everyone in the student body (or to put it in Kepler's Almost Ivy League ****off terms "The Showponies and the Credentialed Ditch Diggers" ) do it which means they lose any claim at being elite now. They might as well be the University of Phoenix with standards like that

I get that this is part of Kepler's "Academic Trolling" where he tries to rile everyone up so we can make fun of him for overpaying for a SUNY education ( ) which I am always willing to indulge him in but he just needs to pick his examples better. His trolling game has fallen off...probably from all the Beltway Cocktail Parties he has been going to. They probably LOVE his schtick there though because it fits right in with their ridiculously wrongheaded air of superiority. Problem is if you only work out your material to friendly audiences you become complacent and you never reach the true levels of greatness!

tl;dr: Kepler's troll game is weak. I expect better of you buddy.

(see Kepler I can do it too!!)
              It's still too explicit. You need to come in from an angle. Trolling works best on the periphery.

You miss my real trolling because you always jump at the bait in front. That's not where the trolling is; it's only the shiny object.

This did not go well for the Night King.
              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                It's still too explicit. You need to come in from an angle. Trolling works best on the periphery.

You miss my real trolling because you always jump at the bait in front. That's not where the trolling is; it's only the shiny object.

This did not go well for the Night King.
                Well I was trolling your trolling...totally different troll game
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yeah but I spent the last year building up immunity to Iocane powder.
                  Cornell University

Comment

I can't necessarily say I don't believe neither one of you isn't just confused.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      I can't necessarily say I don't believe neither one of you isn't just confused.
                      Something you have a lot of experience with
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oof

Comment

Meh. Kentucky will still vote Pubbie.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Meh. Kentucky will still vote Pubbie.
                            It’s funny. I spend my weekends studying how the earth is pretty much effed from climate change. I need to laugh sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              It’s funny. I spend my weekends studying how the earth is pretty much effed from climate change. I need to laugh sometimes
                              These days, I can really only laugh about politics when I envision Trump voters marching one-by-one into a brazen bull operated by Dump himself. "It'll be amazing! The best burning evah!"

Comment

Wisconsin. For a break in Cafe tradition, link mentions animals but not bestiality.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X