Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard 2019-20 (Moving On)

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wic...20190731e2j78p

Let’s hope this helps the Crimson peak early this season.
    Thanksgiving weekend, say.
    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 07-31-2019, 06:55 PM.

Re: Harvard 2019-20 (Moving On)

with 7 players making the tryout my expectations are pretty high for this team. I will be disappointed if not a step improvement on W-L. As i have said before, they get the good players, now show me what you can do with them.

Comment

LEAKED MINUTES FROM ANNUAL CRIMSON FORUM FAN CLUB MEETING INSIDE RESTORED PHONE BOOTH ON MASS AVE

We know that this season is going to be way more exciting than last, facing a raft of top ten teams.
      We consider this the third year of our fan-declared three-year rebuilding program, which means that next year the finished product will emerge. (Watch out North Country and South Jersey!)
      We have lost special leadership (Laing) and special fire (Fusco) to graduation. (A belated btw: last season’s senior night presentations saw the two Fusco brothers and the three Laing sisters together on the ice. Quite a portrait.)
      We remain a young club (there are only two senior skaters on the team). Under our timeline we believe this is a good thing.
      We can’t remember when we last had 21 skaters on the roster.
      We saw freshmen blue liners (Willoughby, Macdonald) really grow in the course of last year, however . . .
      We are missing a potentially fully formed freshman D (Farden), which takes a lot of wind out of our preseason sails.
      We are eagerly awaiting two “solid” CYAers, and hope to find unaccustomed delight in otherwise unheralded recruits.
      We have a keeper in #29 (and in #s 31, 32, and 35 - - - yes, four goalies - - - but it's #29 we want to keep).
      We hope to see more than 22 games from Petrie (whose presence is often wanted elsewhere).
      We hope to see more than 5 games from Tresca!
      We expect a career senior year out of Kat Hughes.
      We expect KDR’S play will continue to capture hearts and minds.
      We expect to see Buckles and Glover come into their own.
      We know that all the talented forwards could profit from a little extra tutoring in chemistry.
      We have just one item on our wish list, the perennial one: a PP.
      We will never feel more brotherly/sisterly affection for BC than when they exhaust the Gophers for us, even as we chase the Badgers for them.
      (Talk about travel partners!)

Respectfully submitted . . .

[ANY NEWS about Lily Farden? The last we heard she was on her way to Lake Placid in August. Absent from the roster no doubt means absent for the year. Major, major bummer for the team. We wish her all the best, needless to say.]
      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 10-24-2019, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Harvard was well on its way to demonstrating that a 3-zip score is the toughest lead in hockey, but finally won 7-4. The good news?
        KDR with a hat trick, Petrie with 2, Tresca (now uninjured) and Bloomer with one each. At least three freshmen with real (I think) ice time, but haven’t checked the stats yet. Too pumped, for what I thought would be an exhibition game replacement (the McGill bus broke down!) and it turned out that it was and was not at the same time. Weird game.
        Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 10-25-2019, 07:50 PM. Reason: Weirdness

Comment

Harvard “thrashed Dartmouth,” Friday night, I guess, since Dartmouth’s “four goals fell short of the Crimson’s seven.”

When is a thrashing not a thrashing? When releases are released. I know press offices are an easy target, but this early venting allows me to forgo quoting from any game summaries for the rest of the season.

You can ascribe some complacency to a 3-0 lead after the first period, but not to 4-2 after the second. There was so much flash up front that it was hard to see who was not getting it done on defense. Harvard went 7 for 28 against a freshman goalie; Dartmouth was 4 for 21 against Reed. What’s with that? Dartmouth’s freshman forward Trevors appears to be a real hotshot and nobody could have stopped that first goal, sniped close in on the right over Reed’s left shoulder. Another puck just appeared over the goal line after being stopped (lost), and everyone on the ice seemed to be surprised by that one, including Reed. The other two? I think they were scrum related, but I can’t be sure, especially from the distance of a twice frozen screen, since the whole game was topsy-turvy. There is, apparently, an NFL defensive scheme called a “bluff zero blitz” (or some permutation of these words), and maybe the Crimson were trying that out on ice.

But Stone did skate19(!), including four freshmen. If not now, when? Both teams came to play, and a normal three goal win sounds right, but 7-4? At least our scorers scored, which is what you want to see happen in game one.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
            Harvard “thrashed Dartmouth,” Friday night, I guess, since Dartmouth’s “four goals fell short of the Crimson’s seven.”

When is a thrashing not a thrashing? When releases are released. I know press offices are an easy target, but this early venting allows me to forgo quoting from any game summaries for the rest of the season.

You can ascribe some complacency to a 3-0 lead after the first period, but not to 4-2 after the second. There was so much flash up front that it was hard to see who was not getting it done on defense. Harvard went 7 for 28 against a freshman goalie; Dartmouth was 4 for 21 against Reed. What’s with that? Dartmouth’s freshman forward Trevors appears to be a real hotshot and nobody could have stopped that first goal, sniped close in on the right over Reed’s left shoulder. Another puck just appeared over the goal line after being stopped (lost), and everyone on the ice seemed to be surprised by that one, including Reed. The other two? I think they were scrum related, but I can’t be sure, especially from the distance of a twice frozen screen, since the whole game was topsy-turvy. There is, apparently, an NFL defensive scheme called a “bluff zero blitz” (or some permutation of these words), and maybe the Crimson were trying that out on ice.

But Stone did skate19(!), including four freshmen. If not now, when? Both teams came to play, and a normal three goal win sounds right, but 7-4? At least our scorers scored, which is what you want to see happen in game one.
            If opening games set a tone for the season, this game set a tone of absolute ambiguity. Will the up-and-down oscillation continue? Will the coaching staff try to gaslight the players with a Groundhog's Day ploy by telling them, as they go out the tunnel for the second and third periods, "well gang, here we are, 60 minutes to go, it's really important to start this game with a spring in your step and get the first goal of the game...." hoping that the players will believe it is the first period all over again and play as well throughout the game as they did for the first 20 minutes last night?

The forward line combinations were noteworthy. Not only is using four lines and giving the first years an opportunity to sort themselves out under game pressure refreshing, the distribution of players within the top three lines will bear close watching. Often in the past the third line has consisted of hardworking grinders who hold opponents at bay by endlessly cycling a comfortable 180 feet from their own net. This year's third line appear to have more pop than that. The ideal would be to have enough depth to skate three lines with nearly identical offensive production, as the 2015 team did. Though right now the Petri line seems to be making a bid to be the Marchand/Bergeron/Pasternak line on this club.

The serendipity of this year's schedule may conduce to the ice time available to the fourth line, in that the initial three games are all against opponents ranked in the bottom half of the ECAC preseason poll, although it may be true, as the Dartmouth announcers contended last night, that the Green's first-year class is loaded with talent and needed only a bit of ice time to start showing that they are better than their position in the poll, which might partially describe why the second and third periods ended in a 4-4 tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
              If opening games set a tone for the season, this game set a tone of absolute ambiguity. Will the up-and-down oscillation continue? Will the coaching staff try to gaslight the players with a Groundhog's Day ploy by telling them, as they go out the tunnel for the second and third periods, "well gang, here we are, 60 minutes to go, it's really important to start this game with a spring in your step and get the first goal of the game...." hoping that the players will believe it is the first period all over again and play as well throughout the game as they did for the first 20 minutes last night?

The forward line combinations were noteworthy. Not only is using four lines and giving the first years an opportunity to sort themselves out under game pressure refreshing, the distribution of players within the top three lines will bear close watching. Often in the past the third line has consisted of hardworking grinders who hold opponents at bay by endlessly cycling a comfortable 180 feet from their own net. This year's third line appear to have more pop than that. The ideal would be to have enough depth to skate three lines with nearly identical offensive production, as the 2015 team did. Though right now the Petri line seems to be making a bid to be the Marchand/Bergeron/Pasternak line on this club.

The serendipity of this year's schedule may conduce to the ice time available to the fourth line, in that the initial three games are all against opponents ranked in the bottom half of the ECAC preseason poll, although it may be true, as the Dartmouth announcers contended last night, that the Green's first-year class is loaded with talent and needed only a bit of ice time to start showing that they are better than their position in the poll, which might partially describe why the second and third periods ended in a 4-4 tie.
              I'll take KDR and Petrie over most but, Harvard's season as will many other teams will be predicated on goalie play. The good news is you won, the bad news is that you gave up four goals to Dartmouth. I'm not sure what that means yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                I'll take KDR and Petrie over most but, Harvard's season as will many other teams will be predicated on goalie play. The good news is you won, the bad news is that you gave up four goals to Dartmouth. I'm not sure what that means yet.
                First game for both teams. That’s what that means.

Comment

The soft early season schedule has allowed Harvard to produce both play-making goals and crash-the-netters, which we haven’t seen much of the last few years. So with the increased competition of the coming weeks they’ll at least have had lots of game practice in what they’re supposed to be doing, even if it gets increasingly harder to do.

FWIW the lines against Yale were: Gilmore centering Bloomer and Hughes; Petrie with KDR and Moy; and Tresca with Jovanovich and the freshman Courtney Hyland, who scored her first collegiate goal. Five Ds are seeing regular time, with Buckles and Willoughby the starting pair. What’s especially nice so far is that when it comes to opportunities generated you can more or less number the lines any way you want to.

It’s early, but Stone has more to play with than she’s had in a while. On to Tigertown.

Comment

Their early season schedule may have been soft but after tonight, they served notice that teams better take them seriously. You go into the #7 team in the country's barn and blow them out and that sends a message. Yes, they got outshot but they took full advantage of their opportunities. I didn't have them pegged for the national conversation until next season. I may have to amend that line of thinking. Happily.

Comment

What we learned from the weekend:

Harvard can come down from a Friday night high pretty well, staying focused against a dogged Q team. Forced into OT by a 6x4? No problem. To date this has been a rapid response outfit.
                      Stone seems to have her lines set: I think of them as 1,1a and 2.
                      The dump and chase team of recent seasons is long gone.
                      The new #9, Hyland, has inherited some of Fusco’s mojo.
                      (Excellent Q play-by-play guy, with no name mistakes despite no-name visitor jerseys!)

Btw, someone should tell the Crimson’s webmeister that BC is coming to Bright this Tuesday. BC knows it, HE knows it, and the ECAC knows it. Only Harvard is in the dark.
                      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 11-10-2019, 09:16 AM.

Comment

What we learned from the weekend:

Btw, someone should tell the Crimson’s webmeister that BC is coming to Bright this Tuesday. BC knows it, HE knows it, and the ECAC knows it. Only Harvard is in the dark.
                        Glad you posted that. However apparently the Harvard website, the BC website, the Hockey East website and the
                        ECAC website do not know. None of the websites show the game on the schedule.
                        To be honest I was thinking "Thirdtime is nuts". I then took a look at my women's season ticket envelope and lo and behold, a ticket for Tuesday's game vs BC

The game is scheduled for 6:00PM

I wonder if the game was added at the last minute??

Thirdtime, thanks for the heads up!!

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                          Glad you posted that. However apparently the Harvard website, the BC website, the Hockey East website and the
                          ECAC website do not know. None of the websites show the game on the schedule.
                          To be honest I was thinking "Thirdtime is nuts". I then took a look at my women's season ticket envelope and lo and behold, a ticket for Tuesday's game vs BC

The game is scheduled for 6:00PM

I wonder if the game was added at the last minute??

Thirdtime, thanks for the heads up!!
                          Very strange. The individual websites have nothing, as you say, while all the USCHO iterations of them want it to happen! This might take a real phone call, or a weigh-in from T3, so your ticket and my travel don't prove useless.

Comment

Originally posted by

[B
                            Btw, someone should tell the Crimson’s webmeister that BC is coming to Bright this Tuesday.[/B] BC knows it, HE knows it, and the ECAC knows it. Only Harvard is in the dark.

Via Harvard W Hockey twitter from 9/18, this game has been moved to 12/31 New Year's Eve @ 2PM at BC......will be a great way to ring in the new year for somebody!

Comment

Very strange. The individual websites have nothing, as you say, while all the USCHO iterations of them want it to happen! This might take a real phone call, or a weigh-in from T3, so your ticket and my travel don't prove useless.
                              This game had originally been set up for Tuesday, but has been re-scheduled to New Year's Eve. Perfect way to ring in the new year!

Comment

Working...
                              X