Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

I was at the football game Sat. night & just wanted to note the enthusiasm of the Students. I go to 2 maybe 3 games a year & I’ve never heard the crowd as loud as it was Saturday. Night game, coming off a great season or maybe the influx of new students, I don’t know. Would certainly be a welcome sight at HFH if they bring it there as well.
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

I miss Tie Domi

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    I was at the football game Sat. night & just wanted to note the enthusiasm of the Students. I go to 2 maybe 3 games a year & Iíve never heard the crowd as loud as it was Saturday. Night game, coming off a great season or maybe the influx of new students, I donít know. Would certainly be a welcome sight at HFH if they bring it there as well.
    Great to hear Turk. Winning breeds optimism.... agree with you in the hopes that the word "win" becomes frequently used at HFH.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

I Still bleed RPI Red

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    I was at the football game Sat. night & just wanted to note the enthusiasm of the Students. I go to 2 maybe 3 games a year & Iíve never heard the crowd as loud as it was Saturday. Night game, coming off a great season or maybe the influx of new students, I donít know. Would certainly be a welcome sight at HFH if they bring it there as well.
    Agree with you as usual. Also remember that the football team for the past several years has not only been winning, but they have been playing an exciting brand of football to watch. Sort of a run and gun offense. Would like to see that style employed by our boys on the ice. And before anyone mentions that we do not have the talent for that kind of game, I suspect we do and even if not, would rather lose 6-5 than 3-0 since I truly think the boys would be enjoying themselves more playing wide open.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Check out the new Red Army website https://redarmy.union.rpi.edu/
    Red Army is the official student fan section for those of you who do not know, and as president, I am trying to publicize the club and the team more to increase student support and attendance. I hope the new website and blog will help do that. Check out our first post which is a recruiting preview for the season, and expect posts next week previewing the entire season and breaking down the team's out of conference schedule

Edit: change https to http
    Last edited by sezenack; 09-23-2019 at 06:47 PM.

In honor of Ottoville Leppšnen and MJ Alexander, today is 24 September 2019. There are 11 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by sezenack View Post
    Red Army is the official student fan section for those of you who do not know, and as president, I am trying to publicize the club and the team more to increase student support and attendance. I hope the new website and blog will help do that. Check out our first post which is a recruiting preview for the season, and expect posts next week previewing the entire season and breaking down the team's out of conference schedule

The comment about Brackett's speed which I heard was from an assistant coach. Not the one who played for Union.

I Still bleed RPI Red

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    The comment about Brackett's speed which I heard was from an assistant coach. Not the one who played for Union.
    We have had some rather speedy players over the years I have followed the team. I always felt Kelly Askew had the most speed but Drew Melanson was also very quick among those who played more recently. Would add Kraig Nienhuis near the top also going bcak a bit. George Servinis was very quick (and in one memorable game, perhaps a step too quick for some). There are a bunch of others i could list going back as far as 1963 but would like to see some others post some names.

I miss Tie Domi

Quote Originally Posted by sezenack View Post

Outstanding effort Sezenack ! Site looks great -- thanks for getting it up and running !
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

I'm an Implant Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    We have had some rather speedy players over the years I have followed the team. I always felt Kelly Askew had the most speed but Drew Melanson was also very quick among those who played more recently. Would add Kraig Nienhuis near the top also going bcak a bit. George Servinis was very quick (and in one memorable game, perhaps a step too quick for some). There are a bunch of others i could list going back as far as 1963 but would like to see some others post some names.
    How could you forget the Smurfs in context of Kraig and George?
    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

For those who are curious, our average height is 6'0 on the dot this season. This is slightly down from 6' 0.1" last season (according to CHN).
    Our average weight is 187.93 LBs, which is down from 189.1 LBs last season (according to CHN).

However, I do not think this really matters much as there does not appear to be any correlation between size and having a successful team.

Tournament teams that were among the tallest last season were Cornell (2nd), ASU (t-3rd), Quinnipiac (t-5th), AIC (t-16th), Harvard (t-16th), Minnesota-Duluth (t-16th).
    Tournament teams that were among the shortest last season were Northeastern (t-52nd), UMass (50th), Notre Dame (t-43rd), Minnesota State (t-43rd), Denver (t-43rd).
    RPI was ranked t-27th in height.

Tournament teams that were among the heaviest last season were Minnesota-Duluth (4th), Arizona State (6th), Clarkson (8th), St. Cloud (9th), Cornell (t-17th), AIC (20th).
    Tournament teams that were among the lightest last season were Denver (58th), Minnesota State (51st), Northeastern (50th).
    RPI was ranked 16th in weight.

You can do the same exercise with bad teams being on both ends of the spectrum with height and weight.

I Still bleed RPI Red

Thanks for the numbers sezenack. Would just like to point out that the numbers might be more valuable if we knew a bit more about where the height and weight was concentrated. i, for one, would certainly remove all goaltenders from the calculations since they are not skating up and down the ice. i would also like to see the breakdown as to height and weight averages for defensemen versus forwards. i certainly feel that the bigger boys need to be on defense and can tolerate a smaller group up front than on the blue line. Obviously talent and speed are of supreme importance but I remain unconvinced that teams that have smaller than average players on defense compete at this level as well as those like Cornell who always seem to have skyscrapers in front of their goaltenders.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    Johnathan Ornelas and Mark Jooris

Good luck to Alex Rodriguez who was invited to the San Diego Gulls (Anaheim) Camp........ Rodriguez made his first professional appearance last season after concluding his fourth year of collegiate hockey. The Miami, Fla. native totaled 5-5=10 points in just 11 games upon joining the Norfolk Admirals last season and should look to build upon that success with a productive showing in training camp. https://www.sandiegogulls.com/news/d...uction-to-camp
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    Johnathan Ornelas and Mark Jooris
    .....how about Johnny Rogic.

Did anyone attend the season ticket holder gathering tonight? I usually attend but was unable to this year. Was anything of any importance discussed?

I miss Tie Domi
    Quote Originally Posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
    Did anyone attend the season ticket holder gathering tonight? I usually attend but was unable to this year. Was anything of any importance discussed?
    I was unable to attend but a few co-conspirators were in attendance. News of the night was Mathias Lange named as Dir of Hockey Operations. Overall spirit of team work and quiet confidence exuded from the players.

In honor of Blake Orosz, today is 25 September 2019. There are 10 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October 2019 for the start of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    I was unable to attend but a few co-conspirators were in attendance. News of the night was Mathias Lange named as Dir of Hockey Operations. Overall spirit of team work and quiet confidence exuded from the players.
    RPI Alum???? If itís the same person he played in over 100 games got the team

Quote Originally Posted by RegalFan View Post
    RPI Alum???? If itís the same person he played in over 100 games got the team
    Yes, he is a former RPI goalie.

Thread Information