This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

does anyone really know? laliberte was suppose to be the next pirri damigo he was terrible. lets focus on whos here now and not recruits. the thing with scoring by committee is no go to player like when we had hags and chase

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
      Ahh... the boy scout badge method of rating players! Give me the kids with Aw, Vi and Sk and the GS will come. Ch sounds like a consolation prize - I'll bet most kids tend to fall on the have it side vs. don't have it. Honestly if there was the opposite rating for someone with poor Ch then that would be a more meaningful screen.
      I like the descrption as "Boy Scout badge". ")
      Goal scoring hasn't been coming at a particularly fast rate recently. Another thing is that there are players who have 6 or more badges including a couple of players who were once on our list.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by puckit717 View Post
        does anyone really know? laliberte was suppose to be the next pirri damigo he was terrible. lets focus on whos here now and not recruits. the thing with scoring by committee is no go to player like when we had hags and chase
        to characterize Jacob as terrible is a bit disappointing bringing Jacob in created alot of excitement and anticipation to the program and I guess his career is a matter of opinion it should be noted we won a recruiting war on several levels to get Lally when was the last time that happened this program has no buzz. In my opinion JL was a great engineer.
        What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by puckit717 View Post
          I wouldn't say he was terrible, just not as good as Pirri and D'Amigo. IMHO, it's hard to call him "the next ..." because he was recruited prior to the other two.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-17-2019, 11:44 AM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I wouldn't say he was terrible, just not as good as Pirri and D'Amigo. IMHO, it's hard to call him "the next ..." because he was recruited prior to the other two.
            Not to mention that during his career at RPI he scored more points for us than the both Pirri and D'Amigo combined (I know, he was here for 4 years and each of them for only 1). But if you wanted see how much value some one added to the program it is as good as any other stat. I'd love as many players as we could add right now that would give us an average over 22 points per season.
            Last edited by DrDemento; 12-17-2019, 08:16 PM.
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Not to mention that during his career at RPI he scored more points for us than the both Pirri and D'Amigo combined (I know, he was here for 4 years and each of them for only 1). But if you wanted see how much value some one added to the program it is as good as any other stat. I'd love as many players as we could add right now that would give us an average over 22 points per season.
              The sad part about that post is how low you set the bar.
              Lally came in with high hopes and incredible scoring stats. But he played in a league that left a lot to be desired. He never tried to step up his game and maybe that is why we beat out some of the other school that were after him.
              I for one was very disappointed in his game here. And the reason why I don't even look at recruit stats anymore.
              I will wait to see what we get when they arrive at RPI.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                Lally came in with high hopes and incredible scoring stats. But he played in a league that left a lot to be desired. He never tried to step up his game and maybe that is why we beat out some of the other school that were after him.
                I for one was very disappointed in his game here. And the reason why I don't even look at recruit stats anymore.
                JL isn't the only CCHL forward to struggle at the D1 level. Highly touted forward Mike Pontarelli followed JL in Cornwall (107 pts. in his lone season there). After a very solid freshman campaign at Union (23 pts), he battled injuries and underwhelmed to say the least finishing with 51 pts. in his 4 seasons.
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Perhaps you missed my point a bit. I was simply trying to ask a question as to which is more valuable to the RPI program - a player who scored 87 points in 4 years in Troy - or 2 highly touted players that together scored less total points and only stayed one year??? But add one other thought. How many players over the past 5 years have averaged over 22 points per season? When many of the posts on here complain about a lack of scoring for the past few years, i most certainly would take any player giving me 22+ points per year. As far as living up to expectations, how many of us have??

Comment

Last call for thread titles,
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I wonder if this will improve attendance. Sems weird to me that the price isn't mentioned.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        Perhaps you missed my point a bit. I was simply trying to ask a question as to which is more valuable to the RPI program - a player who scored 87 points in 4 years in Troy - or 2 highly touted players that together scored less total points and only stayed one year??? But add one other thought. How many players over the past 5 years have averaged over 22 points per season? When many of the posts on here complain about a lack of scoring for the past few years, i most certainly would take any player giving me 22+ points per year. As far as living up to expectations, how many of us have??
                        Doc, we agree on most everything, and I agree with you point of having someone stay for all four years and give it his all.
                        Unfortunately, I had much higher hopes for JL coming into RPI, and I did not get what I expected.
                        That was probably my fault for shooting so high.
                        Now, I have no expectations for the incoming freshmen until I see them play on HFH ice.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          I wonder if this will improve attendance. Sems weird to me that the price isn't mentioned.

Both the dates listed are Friday nights, so maybe they're trying to hype attendance on Fridays?

Although if that's the case, I don't know why they wouldn't offer the same deal for the Jan. 31 game against Dartmouth.

Comment

Doc, we agree on most everything, and I agree with you point of having someone stay for all four years and give it his all.
                            Unfortunately, I had much higher hopes for JL coming into RPI, and I did not get what I expected.
                            That was probably my fault for shooting so high.
                            Now, I have no expectations for the incoming freshmen until I see them play on HFH ice.
                            I feel similarly, as usual. Over all the years I have seem so many highly touted recruits come in and either do little or start out with some promise only to stagnate or flounder with time. If we have fallen to a level where we simply cannot entice top scorers to come to RPI, then we may just have to have one of those scoring by committee teams. If that be the case then give me about 6 or more of those 22+ point kids. A quick look at our statistics from the recent past simply does not show anything like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              I feel similarly, as usual. Over all the years I have seem so many highly touted recruits come in and either do little or start out with some promise only to stagnate or flounder with time. If we have fallen to a level where we simply cannot entice top scorers to come to RPI, then we may just have to have one of those scoring by committee teams. If that be the case then give me about 6 or more of those 22+ point kids. A quick look at our statistics from the recent past simply does not show anything like that.
                              Doc I agree 1000% keep in mind lally broke his hand from a slash at Ferris and had at least 2 shoulder surgery's for sure possibly 3 we all wish he was a little more responsible in his own zone but the kid was a warrior he played most of his career with a shoulder brace and his hand wrapped also he was at the least as good as anyone we have now or coming in he was a legit D1 player
                              What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                                Doc I agree 1000% keep in mind lally broke his hand from a slash at Ferris and had at least 2 shoulder surgery's for sure possibly 3 we all wish he was a little more responsible in his own zone but the kid was a warrior he played most of his career with a shoulder brace and his hand wrapped also he was at the least as good as anyone we have now or coming in he was a legit D1 player
                                Some are guilty at looking at statistics of recruits coming in and thinking those numbers always translate to Division I hockey. One of the reasons i prefer we have some of the bigger boys on the team is simply that as recruits rise up the levels, the boys get bigger and stronger and normally do not lose a step of speed (and sometimes even get faster). For some of the younger boys, facing bigger and better opponents and goal tenders presents a problem for their game play and their success. I would imagine it is a bit easier in high school when you are 5'9" and 165 pounds to play an aggressive game against those of your own size and smaller. But then you come to Troy and face teams like Cornell and Clarkson with many players 6'3" and 215 or more with Wilt Chamberlain reach and King Kong strength and the going gets a bit tougher. Some can compensate when they are blessed with great quickness and speed but for the most part, puck battles along the boards, being able to stand your ground in front of the net, etc. is dependent more on size and strength. JL demonstrated a lot of quickness, speed, stick skills before Troy and more but how much of that gets negated when you move up in quality of opposition. It is rare to see players who are smallish make it in the NHL (obvious exceptions like St. Louis exist). I give Laliberte tremendous credit for achieving as much as he did given the circumstances. That was the basis of my post about averaging 22+ points at RPI which is something not many have done over a 4 year career in the past several years.

Comment

Working...
                                X