This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

I know this is the wrong thread, but news popped that Monty was canned in Dallas for "unprofessional conduct"...
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      It might be OK to assume Smith has no allegiance to Marshall. But Savory is his guy and Owen got run over in the Yale game and was flexing his knees on the ice following the play - no call... (Also, no response by the RPI d corps BTW -- goes back to the lack of tenacity and attitude I've been chirping about.) I suspect that Smitty held Savory out just as a precaution... I've heard nothing official re: any formal injury
      Wouldn't a penalty be called on us for retaliation if there was a response? Probably one of the reasons RPI hardly ever lays out hits...

Comment

It might be OK to assume Smith has no allegiance to Marshall. But Savory is his guy and Owen got run over in the Yale game and was flexing his knees on the ice following the play - no call... (Also, no response by the RPI d corps BTW -- goes back to the lack of tenacity and attitude I've been chirping about.) I suspect that Smitty held Savory out just as a precaution... I've heard nothing official re: any formal injury
        I totally agree with you when it comes to tenacity and attitude. These guys very rarely hit anyone and we could sure use an energy line that goes out there and disrupts the flow of the game and the opposition.
        I think we could find a couple of players on this team to go out and do that, but I guess we choose not to.
        We need the whole team to play with more attitude and urgency. We only start to play like that when we get down by two or more goals.
        Everyone needs to step up.
        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
        Benjamin Franklin
        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
        Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by puckit717 View Post
          i wish with out a peer would make a return.
          It would be great as I enjoyed it a lot, and maybe Tom will someday, but he seems to have moved onto other things.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post
            Wouldn't a penalty be called on us for retaliation if there was a response? Probably one of the reasons RPI hardly ever lays out hits...
            If you've ever watch Cornell, Union, Clarkson, etc. play they don't let their goalies get beat up...it doesn't happen. In fact, they take exception to guys even getting near there keepers after a whistle.

Call it coaching, attitude, whatever it is we don't have it or choose not to do it... not exactly sure why.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I am sure that you could continue each of your Monte Carlo simulations to calculate the chance of each school going to LP and the chance for each winning the tourney. (At the cost of more computer time.)
              I sure could do that.
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I assume this might have been one of many things playing into the decision. I was surprised to see Calvaruso out there, just because it seemed like a must-win type of game given the Yale loss and the 3 week break, but he played well. I assume he's been doing well in practice, and maybe Smith was looking for a reason to have his defense more focused to protect the new goalie--I think our defense has hung Owen and Linden out to dry too much this year.

I think you might see a two man platoon. Owen has been strong again this year, maybe could have controlled some rebounds better in some games, but we would have won fewer games the last season and a half without him. Having 2 goaltenders that can split a weekend series is not a bad thing. This might mean Linden will struggle for time. He's not a bad goaltender, but RPI tends to give up too many soft/saveable goals when he is in there.

Comment

If you've ever watch Cornell, Union, Clarkson, etc. play they don't let their goalies get beat up...it doesn't happen. In fact, they take exception to guys even getting near there keepers after a whistle.

Call it coaching, attitude, whatever it is we don't have it or choose not to do it... not exactly sure why.
                  I share the view that RPI needs to be more physical as a team, but I am not sure college referees allow the same liberties to clear out the crease anymore. I am also seeing a lot of cheap penalties getting called this year, also a problem for RPI and may be impacting what you are seeing.

Comment

I would fly down and give monty the job ASAP at rpi

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                      I assume this might have been one of many things playing into the decision. I was surprised to see Calvaruso out there, just because it seemed like a must-win type of game given the Yale loss and the 3 week break, but he played well. I assume he's been doing well in practice, and maybe Smith was looking for a reason to have his defense more focused to protect the new goalie--I think our defense has hung Owen and Linden out to dry too much this year.

I think you might see a two man platoon. Owen has been strong again this year, maybe could have controlled some rebounds better in some games, but we would have won fewer games the last season and a half without him. Having 2 goaltenders that can split a weekend series is not a bad thing. This might mean Linden will struggle for time. He's not a bad goaltender, but RPI tends to give up too many soft/saveable goals when he is in there.
                      I didn't make the Saturday game but am glad he played well. In the pro ranks the goalie platoon is back in vogue...seeing as hoe college plays far fewer games, I'm not sure having two goalies isn't like the old adage : "If you have two goalies, you have none..."

I guess the bottom line for me is the struggles this team has had really hasn't for the most part been between the pipes ... its been in front of the net where opponents are gaining the zone and often passing and skating at will. Until we clean that up, it won't matter who's in the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by puckit717 View Post
                        I would fly down and give monty the job ASAP at rpi
                        +1 I'd buy the plane tickets!!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                          I share the view that RPI needs to be more physical as a team, but I am not sure college referees allow the same liberties to clear out the crease anymore. I am also seeing a lot of cheap penalties getting called this year, also a problem for RPI and may be impacting what you are seeing.
                          I agree with the officiating calls...which especially against Yale seemed to be of the phantom variety. If we're gonna get them anyway, might as well take them protecting our keeper....IMO.... Especially since Savory isn't a big strapping lad

Comment

+1 I'd buy the plane tickets!!
                            Unprofessionalism is more appropriate in college.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              I see that his winning goal came on a fortunate rebound after he shot the puck right into the goalie on a breakaway, seems like a perfect fit for RPI! ;-)

Comment

Howbout a video for a kid who kept his commiment
                                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Working...
                                X