Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

For all of you who “Pick to Clik”.......
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Assuming it’s the same player from last week with the yellow helmet. That’s #9 Tristan Ashbrook.
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    That's pretty big, as he is their best defenseman with Makar and Ferraro in the NHL

Article about the game vs. UMass and Will Reilly.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...s-14505240.php

mascot extraordinaire
    Article about the game vs. UMass and Will Reilly.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...s-14505240.php
    When did Will Reilly start a school, and when did it get a college hockey team?

If we don't have WRPI.

Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    When did Will Reilly start a school, and when did it get a college hockey team?
    Didn't you once broadcast for Will Reilly Polytechnic Institute?

RPI'88, BU'99

If we don't have WRPI.
    Get to see this one in person. Heading out with my son to check out UMass and other schools. First time to the Mullins center for us.

I will also be there in person with 5 other Red Army members. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by jmhusker View Post
    Get to see this one in person. Heading out with my son to check out UMass and other schools. First time to the Mullins center for us.
    Beautiful rink IMO. Was there 10 yrs. ago (D’Amigo/Pirri year). More like a pro bldg. than a school rink. Very comfy seats.

Conductor emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by turk181 View Post
    Only two people picking to click so far. Head on over to that thread (linked here) to get started!
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

I will be there as well, and can echo what has been said, very nice facility. Could easily be a minor pro rink.

Didn’t know the Family Connections TJ Samec had.....

Quote Originally Posted by jmhusker View Post
    My father took me to a number of RPI sporting events when I was young, so I was in the habit of rooting for RPI before I reached my senior year in high school.

But I did look at other colleges, among which was the University of Rochester. Rochester had an event they called University Day in the fall, when they invited a lot of prospective applicants out to visit their campus and watch an athletic event - which was a football game against RPI.

As it happened, it was also Homecoming Day. At halftime, the section just to my right cleared out, because that was where they had the homecoming court seated.

They crowned the queen, and then the court came back, and as it happened, they seated the queen in the row right next to me.

She probably still wonders how the heck they let a fan of the visiting team sit next to her the day she was crowned Homecoming Queen for the U of R.

Hope you aren't sitting too close to UMass' homecoming queen while you're cheering for the Engineers this Friday.

mascot extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Waite21 View Post
    My father took me to a number of RPI sporting events when I was young, so I was in the habit of rooting for RPI before I reached my senior year in high school.

But I did look at other colleges, among which was the University of Rochester. Rochester had an event they called University Day in the fall, when they invited a lot of prospective applicants out to visit their campus and watch an athletic event - which was a football game against RPI.

As it happened, it was also Homecoming Day. At halftime, the section just to my right cleared out, because that was where they had the homecoming court seated.

They crowned the queen, and then the court came back, and as it happened, they seated the queen in the row right next to me.

She probably still wonders how the heck they let a fan of the visiting team sit next to her the day she was crowned Homecoming Queen for the U of R.

Hope you aren't sitting too close to UMass' homecoming queen while you're cheering for the Engineers this Friday.
    Much better story if it ended with you marrying her

ECAC previews at CHN https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...am-Preview.php

Rensselaer Engineers

Head Coach: Dave Smith (3rd Year)
    2018-19 Record: 10-23-3, 7-13-2 ECAC

Changes: The Engineers did lose its leading scorer, Jacob Hayhurst, to transfer but other than that there isn't much change in RPI, for the first time in a few years. Smith has his players buying in and it seems like the Engineers could pop a bit.

Strength: If goaltending is the most important position on the ice, RPI should be in good hands. Last year, Owen Savory made all the difference for Rensselaer. His exploits directly led to many of the Engineer wins and his .926 save percentage was in the top 12 nationally. Considering he saw a ton of shots, he was really good and really helped to stabilize a Rensselaer team that has struggled for the better part of a decade.

"Owen was terrific and I really like our goaltending depth," Smith said. "Owen is coming off a great year will definitely be important but I feel each of our goaltenders can provide us with big games this season."

Weakness: Generating possession has been the biggest issue in the recent past and it seems like that will again be the weakness of RPI. Although there is more experience in the lineup this year for the first time in Smith's tenure, there has not been the track record of being a possession-based team. The experience should help, but the Engineers will need to generate more to produce more.

Outlook: For the first time in a few years, RPI should be in the mix for a home ice berth in the first round. The experience of the squad will be a big boost and it sure seems that Smith's system is starting to take shape. There should be more offense this season, with 80 percent of last year's goals returning to the lineup.

Savory will again need to come up big, but RPI doesn't have a question here like half the league. If he can produce like he did last year, RPI could of course make a big jump.

"We feel really good about our team chemistry and I feel as though we have a lot to prove," Smith said. "We want to be approaching the top half of the standings, and I feel that is a reasonable goal. We have some very good seniors that are doing well to set the tone for the younger guys. The experience should be important for us."

Prediction: 8th

I Still bleed RPI Red

Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    Much better story if it ended with you marrying her
    And then, after a bitter divorce, finding his true love - a woman who was rich and could cook! Everything else you can find somewhere else!
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

I Still bleed RPI Red

Agree with much of that CHN prediction. Actually think that if we find a way to start this season on any sort of roll that we could finish a bit higher than 8th. I wish all of those who felt the need to leave this team well and much success (against anyone except if they end up playing us!). But hoping they made big mistakes and this team shows them all a substantial surprise. Hope this year is a step towards once again becoming the Beast of the East. Perhaps a healthy competition for our football team which has had such success the past few years.

Speaking of the football team. Huge game up at Hobart this weekend. This will be a much more challenging year than the past few for us. Not that we have lost much (although I do not think we are quite as good as last year) but simply because this Liberty League is just stacked with top notch teams. Ithaca, Hobart and Union are all top 30 teams nationally and we still have all 3 left to play this season.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Thread Information