This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
    My father took me to a number of RPI sporting events when I was young, so I was in the habit of rooting for RPI before I reached my senior year in high school.

But I did look at other colleges, among which was the University of Rochester. Rochester had an event they called University Day in the fall, when they invited a lot of prospective applicants out to visit their campus and watch an athletic event - which was a football game against RPI.

As it happened, it was also Homecoming Day. At halftime, the section just to my right cleared out, because that was where they had the homecoming court seated.

They crowned the queen, and then the court came back, and as it happened, they seated the queen in the row right next to me.

She probably still wonders how the heck they let a fan of the visiting team sit next to her the day she was crowned Homecoming Queen for the U of R.

Hope you aren't sitting too close to UMass' homecoming queen while you're cheering for the Engineers this Friday.
    Much better story if it ended with you marrying her
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020: Nordic Combined

ECAC previews at CHN https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...am-Preview.php

Rensselaer Engineers

Head Coach: Dave Smith (3rd Year)
      2018-19 Record: 10-23-3, 7-13-2 ECAC

Changes: The Engineers did lose its leading scorer, Jacob Hayhurst, to transfer but other than that there isn't much change in RPI, for the first time in a few years. Smith has his players buying in and it seems like the Engineers could pop a bit.

Strength: If goaltending is the most important position on the ice, RPI should be in good hands. Last year, Owen Savory made all the difference for Rensselaer. His exploits directly led to many of the Engineer wins and his .926 save percentage was in the top 12 nationally. Considering he saw a ton of shots, he was really good and really helped to stabilize a Rensselaer team that has struggled for the better part of a decade.

"Owen was terrific and I really like our goaltending depth," Smith said. "Owen is coming off a great year will definitely be important but I feel each of our goaltenders can provide us with big games this season."

Weakness: Generating possession has been the biggest issue in the recent past and it seems like that will again be the weakness of RPI. Although there is more experience in the lineup this year for the first time in Smith's tenure, there has not been the track record of being a possession-based team. The experience should help, but the Engineers will need to generate more to produce more.

Outlook: For the first time in a few years, RPI should be in the mix for a home ice berth in the first round. The experience of the squad will be a big boost and it sure seems that Smith's system is starting to take shape. There should be more offense this season, with 80 percent of last year's goals returning to the lineup.

Savory will again need to come up big, but RPI doesn't have a question here like half the league. If he can produce like he did last year, RPI could of course make a big jump.

"We feel really good about our team chemistry and I feel as though we have a lot to prove," Smith said. "We want to be approaching the top half of the standings, and I feel that is a reasonable goal. We have some very good seniors that are doing well to set the tone for the younger guys. The experience should be important for us."

Prediction: 8th
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
        Much better story if it ended with you marrying her
        And then, after a bitter divorce, finding his true love - a woman who was rich and could cook! Everything else you can find somewhere else!
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Agree with much of that CHN prediction. Actually think that if we find a way to start this season on any sort of roll that we could finish a bit higher than 8th. I wish all of those who felt the need to leave this team well and much success (against anyone except if they end up playing us!). But hoping they made big mistakes and this team shows them all a substantial surprise. Hope this year is a step towards once again becoming the Beast of the East. Perhaps a healthy competition for our football team which has had such success the past few years.

Speaking of the football team. Huge game up at Hobart this weekend. This will be a much more challenging year than the past few for us. Not that we have lost much (although I do not think we are quite as good as last year) but simply because this Liberty League is just stacked with top notch teams. Ithaca, Hobart and Union are all top 30 teams nationally and we still have all 3 left to play this season.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Regarding the absent banners; I was at HFH today & asked Norris. He said they were taken down during graduation ceremonies (lower row obstructs sight) & when they went to put them back up, before the season started, the lift had blown its hydraulics. They’re waiting on parts and the banners will be placed up again.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Joe doesn't seem to have checked RPI's schedule very closely. UMass won't come to Troy until the end of December.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      Regarding the absent banners; I was at HFH today & asked Norris. He said they were taken down during graduation ceremonies (lower row obstructs sight) & when they went to put them back up, before the season started, the lift had blown its hydraulics. They’re waiting on parts and the banners will be placed up again.
                      Thanks for the fine investigative journalism.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                        Joe doesn't seem to have checked RPI's schedule very closely. UMass won't come to Troy until the end of December.
                        All these NE state colleges are the same, except for URI which doesn't have a HEA team.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thanks for the fine investigative journalism.
                          Keep the Pulitzer.......send cash!
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Does anyone know where to stream today,s game?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                              Does anyone know where to stream today,s game?
                              https://www.cbs.com/shows/hockey-on-...n-s-rpi-uconn/
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Didn't know Ken was still around the area. Is he still with the Gazette or WRGB?

Comment

Working...
                                X