Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Now UVM Cat in Georgia

Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

I immediately noticed the picture of a UVM player in the HE preview article. This seems to strongly suggest that UVM will be the face of HE this season!

(God help the league if that's the case)

Release the Hounds

I saw the part in Connolly and Hendrickson's season preview about a 12th team in Hockey East. Please, no Arizona State. One of the best things I feel that works for the conference is its geographic concentration. Recognizable regional rivalries. The tough question then is, what potential places have the resources and desire to compete at that level? Thinking not that much further afield, Syracuse comes to mind, they have a women's program, but like anything else, always depends on donors coming up with the necessary start up cash. Everyone always says URI, but again, where's the desire and the cash. I think NYC would be a great market to step into (which every conference thinks) if there was a suitable candidate. Something from thinking WAY outside the box? - McGill.
    Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Quote Originally Posted by McBain75 View Post
    I saw the part in Connolly and Hendrickson's season preview about a 12th team in Hockey East. Please, no Arizona State. One of the best things I feel that works for the conference is its geographic concentration. Recognizable regional rivalries. The tough question then is, what potential places have the resources and desire to compete at that level? Thinking not that much further afield, Syracuse comes to mind, they have a women's program, but like anything else, always depends on donors coming up with the necessary start up cash. Everyone always says URI, but again, where's the desire and the cash. I think NYC would be a great market to step into (which every conference thinks) if there was a suitable candidate. Something from thinking WAY outside the box? - McGill.
    After seeing the way those canadian teams played in exhibition a few years ago, no thanks to McGill.

I like Bentley (new rink at 4k is fine in this day and age), Holy Cross a little bit of a dark horse due to lack of stadium/competition from Worcester Railers. Maybe the newly legit AIC is in the conversation?

UMaine Portland?

I saw the part in Connolly and Hendrickson's season preview about a 12th team in Hockey East. Please, no Arizona State.
    Connolly talked about ASU to HE in a USCHO podcast released following the WCHA defection news. It had me wondering if that idea was the last straw for Bertangna. I'd prefer not to have ASU join because they would just be another short timer looking to jump ship at the first opportunity.

Probably not in the cards but Quinnipiac has been my first choice
    Would expand the footprint more toward New York
    they have televised games on cable in that region
    Close and an outstanding hockey facility

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Norwich
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Norwich
    No can do unless they move the entire athletic program to D2.

All Hail

I saw the part in Connolly and Hendrickson's season preview about a 12th team in Hockey East...Syracuse comes to mind, they have a women's program, but like anything else, always depends on donors coming up with the necessary start up cash. Everyone always says URI, but again, where's the desire and the cash...
    FWIW, I've been told by numerous Syracuse and URI alums over the years that both schools have repeatedly turned down offers to fund D1 men's hockey programs primarily because of opposition from entrenched basketball interests that don't want in-season revenue-producing competition. Title IX also an issue although less so at Syracuse, which already has a women's program.

That being said, I personally see Syracuse and URI as the only legitimate candidates to fill out HEA. QPac would merit serious consideration but I don't see it moving from a conference where it is in a position to be a perennial contender to being just another strong program in a conference with many strong programs. Holy Cross would work from a location standpoint (and still has some regional panache), but it's a Patriot League institution that does not appear interested in investing in varsity sports at the level it would take for hockey to become and remain competitive in HEA.

I'm not holding my breath on either Syracuse or URI so I'm fine with HEA staying at 11 teams. Arizona State will find a conference home if and when its planned new arena becomes a reality. In the meantime, they seem to be doing just fine as an independent.
    Last edited by Split-N; 10-05-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    FWIW, I've been told by numerous Syracuse and URI alums over the years that both schools have repeatedly turned down offers to fund D1 men's hockey programs primarily because of opposition from entrenched basketball interests that don't want in-season revenue-producing competition.
    The solution is simple: Just suck and you won't produce any revenue

Norwich
    Norwich would be the best candidate but with the new NCAA rules, it is a non starter

Now UVM Cat in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Norwich would be the best candidate but with the new NCAA rules, it is a non starter
    Would love to see Norwich added. I can think of one team they’d be better than almost immediately!

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Get one high-level genius in HE HQ to find a work-around. That person gets the commish's job. QED.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Get one high-level genius in HE HQ to find a work-around. That person gets the commish's job. QED.
    Based on the St. Thomas situation Norwich would have to get kicked out of the GNAC and then get invited to join a multi-sport DI conference. And it is still to be determined if that will work for St. Thomas.

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-05-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Is that the team that got booted for winning too much? Sign of the times.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Is that the team that got booted for winning too much? Sign of the times.
    Yes

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

The first fallout from Joe’s contract not being renewed has now occurred. Hockey East teams will not be participating in the 2020 Friendship Four in Belfast.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    Probably not in the cards but Quinnipiac has been my first choice
    Would expand the footprint more toward New York
    they have televised games on cable in that region
    Close and an outstanding hockey facility
    QUINNIPIAC would be ideal...but do you think QU would want to leave ECAC..?

All Hail

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    The first fallout from Joe’s contract not being renewed has now occurred. Hockey East teams will not be participating in the 2020 Friendship Four in Belfast.
    Personally, I'm very sorry to see this. I went over for the first one and had the time of my life. Games were well-attended (much bigger crowds than typical HEA games) and local fans were knowledgeable and appreciative. The few players I knew well enough to talk to thought it was an eye-opening experience. And then there was Rockies, the Mother of all Hockey Bars (run by a Canadian expat) on the ground floor of the arena.

Oh well, HEA's loss is apparently Atlantic Hockey's gain.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    Personally, I'm very sorry to see this. I went over for the first one and had the time of my life. Games were well-attended (much bigger crowds than typical HEA games) and local fans were knowledgeable and appreciative. The few players I knew well enough to talk to thought it was an eye-opening experience. And then there was Rockies, the Mother of all Hockey Bars (run by a Canadian expat) on the ground floor of the arena.

Oh well, HEA's loss is apparently Atlantic Hockey's gain.

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Sean
    Sean, sorry for asking what is prob a stupid q, but how does his leaving affect team selection? I'm not privvy to the tournaments history... We are going to this years F4 tourney and are really excited...glad we have this chance...
    Let's Go SouzaCats!

Thread Information