Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    There is no question that streaming PC > TV is lesser quality than cable box > TV.
    The bigger problem is there no standardization for broadcasts because the schools are paying for them. The NESN games from Lowell are good quality, the NBCSports Boston PC games look terrible on TV. All of the schools need to make an investment to be on a singular platform, but I doubt you will see this.
    Tully Rink Rat
    Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
    Youngstar
    UML Class of 09

Comment

• Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
      The bigger problem is there no standardization for broadcasts because the schools are paying for them. The NESN games from Lowell are good quality, the NBCSports Boston PC games look terrible on TV. All of the schools need to make an investment to be on a singular platform, but I doubt you will see this.
      The ECAC streaming package on ESPN+ has had consistently good quality in my experience, but I may not have watched something from each venue.

Additionally with a $25 streaming device and an HDMI port it is extremely easy to watch on TV at cable quality.

There is always someone who complains about everything, but if HE copied this model I expect the vast majority of HE fans would be extremely happy. Like you said I'm not sure they are willing to put in this investment though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
        Follow up tweet, to the one Watcher posted, indicates a potential league wide streaming service a la NCHC.tv, and may just force such an investment. I’d expect this to happen as UNH - which broadcast all home games on ESPN+ last season showed zero hockey on its recently released ESPN schedule, but we shall see...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Follow up tweet, to the one Watcher posted, indicates a potential league wide streaming service a la NCHC.tv, and may just force such an investment. I’d expect this to happen as UNH - which broadcast all home games on ESPN+ last season showed zero hockey on its recently released ESPN schedule, but we shall see...
          I saw that and I would like to happen, seriously just take my $100 bucks now, but I think there are some schools are hesitant to do this because they think it will cost them money at the gate and have to kick in to jump start the platform.
          Tully Rink Rat
          Youngstar
          UML Class of 09

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
            I saw that and I would like to happen, seriously just take my $100 bucks now, but I think there are some schools are hesitant to do this because they think it will cost them money at the gate and have to kick in to jump start the platform.
            Such outdated thinking by those folks. You have to play the long con and promote the experience to attract new and lapsed fans. Not to mention interested alumni with money in their pockets who don’t have time to go to every game on account of family and work commitments. I know I’d sign up.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
              Such outdated thinking by those folks. You have to play the long con and promote the experience to attract new and lapsed fans. Not to mention interested alumni with money in their pockets who don’t have time to go to every game on account of family and work commitments. I know I’d sign up.
              We all know UNH and Maine travel well, but that is like 10-20 percent of their fanbase making trips. Yes I know it's not 1999 anymore but you gotta figure the marquee sport at both schools would alone draw in enough subscribers to make this profitable.

I try to go to as many away games as possible, but sometimes a Friday night game in Boston or especially Providence is not in the works. UVM or Maine forget it, not happening on a Friday night.

How many of these schools have alumni bases spread around the country as well? They are literally leaving money on the table at this point, I don't understand why they keep trying the same square peg in the round hole of terrestrial TV
              Tully Rink Rat
              Youngstar
              UML Class of 09

Comment

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/arti...artnership.php

So we go from basically nothing to 100 games? How is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/art...artnership.php

So we go from basically nothing to 100 games? How is that possible?
                  NESN figured out viewers will watch the same Behind the B episode only so many times?

Pretty sure these will be on campus, not NESN productions.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

That's what I am thinking. Or maybe NESN produces x amount of the games. Regardless, this is great news.

Comment

Who the F cares who produces it? It's college hockey on free TV. If we can handle ESPN ****ing up our postseason tournament we can handle campus productions of regular season games.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        Who the F cares who produces it? It's college hockey on free TV. If we can handle ESPN ****ing up our postseason tournament we can handle campus productions of regular season games.
                        Agreed. Just saying that NESN figures to increase viewers on Bs off nights at minimal cost.

I had the opportunity to chat with some UNH Wildcat Productions staff this summer. They were surprised when I told them people watch their broadcasts on the internet. They must be stoked about the NESN deal.
                        Last edited by Darius; 09-26-2019, 02:51 PM.
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          ...we can handle campus productions of regular season games.
                          Some of those local productions (if that's what they'll be using) are actually pretty decent.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            Some of those local productions (if that's what they'll be using) are actually pretty decent.
                            I wonder if they'll go the ESPN3 route of having most of them be student broadcasts. I know for UMaine baseball games they use students.

Comment

• Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Some are frickin awful. Either way, better than following on Twitter, and maybe it’ll be on at the bars.

Comment

@jimmyconnelly
                                Hearing from sources that @hockey_east is very close to announcing its first league-wide digital platform to broadcast all men’s and women’s games beginning this season. There are details to work out, but being told that CBS Sports will be the network hosting the platform.

Not sure what the actual cost or pay structure will be but would expect it to be something similar to what the NCHC has with their http://NCHC.tv digital platform

Comment

Working...
                                X