Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

I was wondering the same. Maybe they wanted to give some schools in other conferences an opportunity to participate?

2016 Hockey East Overlords

I don't think it's related to Joe at all. The list of teams who haven't gone in the last four years (and thus are eligible to go again), excluding BC who wouldn't set foot there for obvious reasons, is Merrimack (already in a Thanksgiving tourney with UML), Lowell (See previous), UVM (Already hosts a Christmas tournament, may have a new head coach), and UMass. If either of UMass or UVM didn't want to go, Hockey East had no chance of sending two teams. Keep in mind the ECAC is only sending QU, so this isn't a Hockey East only problem.

Quote Originally Posted by McBain75 View Post
    I saw the part in Connolly and Hendrickson's season preview about a 12th team in Hockey East. Please, no Arizona State. One of the best things I feel that works for the conference is its geographic concentration. Recognizable regional rivalries. The tough question then is, what potential places have the resources and desire to compete at that level? Thinking not that much further afield, Syracuse comes to mind, they have a women's program, but like anything else, always depends on donors coming up with the necessary start up cash. Everyone always says URI, but again, where's the desire and the cash. I think NYC would be a great market to step into (which every conference thinks) if there was a suitable candidate. Something from thinking WAY outside the box? - McGill.
    Quinnipiac makes sense to me.

Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos

Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Quinnipiac makes sense to me.
    Unfortunately, Hockey East doesn't make sense for Quinnipiac. They'd be here already if it did.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    After seeing the way those canadian teams played in exhibition a few years ago, no thanks to McGill.

I like Bentley (new rink at 4k is fine in this day and age), Holy Cross a little bit of a dark horse due to lack of stadium/competition from Worcester Railers. Maybe the newly legit AIC is in the conversation?

UMaine Portland?
    Bentley's wonderful new arena seats 1917, not 4K.

BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 20(19ish?)

Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    And I'd be giving BJ's to any kid
    RIP KRoy4Hobey, Gr8Sk8M8(?), BUtogether(?)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevengeance View Post
    I don't think it's related to Joe at all. The list of teams who haven't gone in the last four years (and thus are eligible to go again), excluding BC who wouldn't set foot there for obvious reasons, is Merrimack (already in a Thanksgiving tourney with UML), Lowell (See previous), UVM (Already hosts a Christmas tournament, may have a new head coach), and UMass. If either of UMass or UVM didn't want to go, Hockey East had no chance of sending two teams. Keep in mind the ECAC is only sending QU, so this isn't a Hockey East only problem.
    Why no BC “for obvious reasons?” Sacred Heart and Mercyhurst are both Catholic institutions and they will be playing in the tournament next season. PC has played there as well. In fact, I just noticed that P.C. has an overseas study program in Belfast.

As for Quinnipiac to HE, my understanding is they are very happy in the ECAC and have no desire to leave. They are positioned to be competitive every season and, as a school that has enhanced its stature tremendously in the last 25 years, they like the association with the Ivies and other selective privates. In particular, I don’t think they ever dreamed of playing rivalry games with Yale and it has come to pass (of course, for the Elis it will never match Yale v Harvard or Cornell, but the energy in the Whale or the TD center is definitely up for the Whitney Avenue rivalry). I have no doubt they’d do well in HE and it would be a good relationship, but they are already getting what they want and need in the ECAC.
    Last edited by rpi82; 10-12-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    Why no BC “for obvious reasons?” Sacred Heart and Mercyhurst are both Catholic institutions and they will be playing in the tournament next season. PC has played there as well. In fact, I just noticed that P.C. has an overseas study program in Belfast.

As for Quinnipiac to HE, my understanding is they are very happy in the ECAC and have no desire to leave. They are positioned to be competitive every season and, as a school that has enhanced its stature tremendously in the last 25 years, they like the association with the Ivies and other selective privates. In particular, I don’t think they ever dreamed of playing rivalry games with Yale and it has come to pass (of course, for the Elis it will never match Yale v Harvard or Cornell, but the energy in the Whale or the TD center is definitely up for the Whitney Street rivalry). I have no doubt they’d do well in HE and it would be a good relationship, but they are already getting what they want and need in the ECAC.
    I could not agree more. I have been following Quinnipiac since before they were an AHC team, and no question they relish competing with Vlae. I cannot imagine them ever leaving the ECAC, as long as the Ivy's stay in that conference. Their just barely off-campus arena is a gem. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rpi82 View Post
    Why no BC “for obvious reasons?”
    Google ‘Boston College tapes’.

Quote Originally Posted by Middle Street View Post
    Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Middle Street View Post
    Indeed.

Since he's likely to be out of his current job soon … how about Daryl Morey for HE Commissioner???

There have been a lot of high-profile frauds unwittingly unmasked in his corner of the world recently.

Fight for Freedom, Stand with Hong Kong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1KCVj_v0ik

Not worth a lick of spit … come on down, frauds:

* Lebron James
    * Gregg Popovich
    * Steve Kerr
    * Adam Silver

… ???????????

TC and Jaffe on the call tonight. So that confirms NESN will have their guys do some of these games and others will just be picking up feeds from the schools involved.

Ofcl Riverhawk Radio Meteorologist

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    TC and Jaffe on the call tonight. So that confirms NESN will have their guys do some of these games and others will just be picking up feeds from the schools involved.
    That's not necessarily true. For the games that Lowell had on NESN last year, they hired TC and Jaffe to call the games.
    Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
    "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Right but the PC-Maine game to start the year was PC announcers.

Good lord these reviews are getting out of hand.

Jaffe is absolutely tremendous

All Hail

To paraphrase Henry II: "Will no one rid of us this meddlesome replay?" Thanks to TC and Billy Jaffe for telling it like it is!!!
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Since he's likely to be out of his current job soon … how about Daryl Morey for HE Commissioner???

There have been a lot of high-profile frauds unwittingly unmasked in his corner of the world recently.

Fight for Freedom, Stand with Hong Kong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1KCVj_v0ik

Not worth a lick of spit … come on down, frauds:

* Lebron James
    * Gregg Popovich
    * Steve Kerr
    * Adam Silver
    The NBA really is a sad mess with this China business. Just how stupid is Lebron James? His IQ has to be astronomically lower than anyone could have ever imagined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Jaffe is absolutely tremendous
    Absolutely! A good while ago I used to get the sports package to watch the Western teams like Denver and Minnesota and he was terrific on those broadcasts before coming out to join the Bruins and getting involved in the Hockey East games. He's just really good at what he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    The NBA really is a sad mess with this China business. Just how stupid is Lebron James? His IQ has to be astronomically lower than anyone could have ever imagined.
    He has a $1 billion contract to promote Nike. Aside from the hundreds of millions he gets from promoting other merchandise in China. He is also starring in and executive producer on the Space Jam sequel, which will stand to gain a huge amount of money from a Chinese release. Still question his IQ?

Thread Information