Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 488

Thread: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

  1. #201
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    5,253
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    He has a $1 billion contract to promote Nike. Aside from the hundreds of millions he gets from promoting other merchandise in China. He is also starring in and executive producer on the Space Jam sequel, which will stand to gain a huge amount of money from a Chinese release. Still question his IQ?
    You really think hes struggling for cash? Hed be wildly rich without the money from China. I think for most people with any sort of moral compass spouting Chinese propaganda would be a bridge too far, no matter how much cash in on the table.

  2. #202
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Maybe not question his IQ but certainly his "woke" status. More than willing to call things like he seems them in the US but the rest of the woke crew like Steve Kerr are conveniently silent when it comes to an actual awful country/regime in China. That's called being a fraud.

  3. #203
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    6,006

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    LOL. Speaking of people that aren't terribly bright...

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    He has a $1 billion contract to promote Nike. Aside from the hundreds of millions he gets from promoting other merchandise in China. He is also starring in and executive producer on the Space Jam sequel, which will stand to gain a huge amount of money from a Chinese release. Still question his IQ?
    These things:
    1. Require putting a basketball through a hoop
    2. Have nothing to do with intelligence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lebron James
    "A lot of people was uneducated"
    But yea it's great he values his financial interests over the general idea of freedom of speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  4. #204
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,392
    Athletes (in general) should stick to sports & not get dragged in without full education. If one still feels strongly about an issue, run for office or support the cause offline / some other way. If you are going to be open about it; be aware that on sensitive issues you are bound to offend one side or another.

    Far as Propaganda .. it runs in all media in all countries, (including ours).
    Lets not kid ourselves.

  5. #205
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    You really think hes struggling for cash? Hed be wildly rich without the money from China. I think for most people with any sort of moral compass spouting Chinese propaganda would be a bridge too far, no matter how much cash in on the table.
    "How much cash is enough?"

    Let's ask Jeff Bezos or the Walton heirs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    LOL. Speaking of people that aren't terribly bright...

    These things:
    1. Require putting a basketball through a hoop
    2. Have nothing to do with intelligence.

    But yea it's great he values his financial interests over the general idea of freedom of speech.
    You asked how stupid he was and said he had a low IQ. He's actually behaving like a very smart capitalist. I disagree with the content of what he said, but why he said it makes perfect sense.

  6. #206
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    13,194

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    You asked how stupid he was and said he had a low IQ. He's actually behaving like a very smart capitalist. I disagree with the content of what he said, but why he said it makes perfect sense.
    It's not so much that he's "stupid" - clearly he knows how to count, and understands what behavior will contribute to his personal bottom line. But what he is, is a flaming not-even-a-close-call hypocrite.

    He - and the others I listed earlier - chooses to lecture us on the issues he sees with things in the US, and how we supposedly fall short of our lofty ideals. Yet, when he's actually given an opportunity to truly make a huge impact in the name of freedom where that baseline value is truly under siege … well, nope, not going to wade in, but yeah, I'll kick the guy on our side who dares to give a token of support to that cause, right in the nuts. On top of that, then he accuses THAT guy of being "uneducated".

    For those keeping score out there, here's what courage and principle look like:

    Muhammad Ali - conscientious objector, nearly jailed, lost untold millions and peak years of his career. 100
    Lebron James - more "woke" than you, 'til China threatens his further enrichment, bows in submission. -100

    I used to be a big Popovich fan, but now he's another pretender. Kerr is mini-Pop, no surprise there.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  7. #207
    Say, this is nice. Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    34,413

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Right but the PC-Maine game to start the year was PC announcers.

    Good lord these reviews are getting out of hand.
    Getting back on topic after the NBA segue...
    PC seems to have learned from what Quinnipiac used to when they got most of their home games on NESN back in the day. Another marketing coup would involved GETTING PEOPLE TO SHOW UP SO THE COFFIN ISN'T MOSTLY EMPTY but that's a different rant.
    Let's continue before China bans all references to Winny the Pooh in Hockey East.

    "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

    2008 POTY

  8. #208
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    13,194

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by jon View Post
    let's continue before china bans all references to winny the pooh in hockey east.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  9. #209
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,738

    Unhappy Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
    CBS All-Access sounds attractive on the surface but, speaking only for myself, I draw the line at surrendering whatever shreds of privacy I may have left If I check the checkbox next to the following statement on the sign-up dialog:

    "By registering you become a member of the CBS Interactive family of sites and you have read and agree to the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Video Services Policy. You agree to receive updates, alerts and promotions from CBS and that CBS may share information about you with our marketing partners so that they may contact you by email or otherwise about their products or services.


    I have no problem with becoming a retail customer in the usual sense but I'm not inclined to be forced into becoming a member of anything. I don't need any more robocalls, spam, and junk mail than I already get. Looks like I'm relegated to following games via live stats.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  10. #210
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    760

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    CBS All-Access sounds attractive on the surface but, speaking only for myself, I draw the line at surrendering whatever shreds of privacy I may have left If I check the checkbox next to the following statement on the sign-up dialog:

    "By registering you become a member of the CBS Interactive family of sites and you have read and agree to the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Video Services Policy. You agree to receive updates, alerts and promotions from CBS and that CBS may share information about you with our marketing partners so that they may contact you by email or otherwise about their products or services.


    I have no problem with becoming a retail customer in the usual sense but I'm not inclined to be forced into becoming a member of anything. I don't need any more robocalls, spam, and junk mail than I already get. Looks like I'm relegated to following games via live stats.
    You might try "unsubscribing" to the email solicitations, getting "NoRobo" or another blocking service for your phone and cancelling your subscription after the game is over. Certainly you must cancel it at the end of the season or you'll be charged the monthly fee through seasons where you have no use for the service.

  11. #211
    Go 'cats!
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    1,812

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by HHound View Post
    You might try "unsubscribing" to the email solicitations, getting "NoRobo" or another blocking service for your phone and cancelling your subscription after the game is over. Certainly you must cancel it at the end of the season or you'll be charged the monthly fee through seasons where you have no use for the service.
    I tried this with CBS a few years ago when they were providing streaming for a UNH opponent (Vermont?). After being billed for three subsequent months I disputed the charges with my credit card company. They removed the three charges, opened a dispute with CBS to stop the billing. Never again.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

  12. #212
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    CBS All-Access sounds attractive on the surface but, speaking only for myself, I draw the line at surrendering whatever shreds of privacy I may have left If I check the checkbox next to the following statement on the sign-up dialog:

    "By registering you become a member of the CBS Interactive family of sites and you have read and agree to the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Video Services Policy. You agree to receive updates, alerts and promotions from CBS and that CBS may share information about you with our marketing partners so that they may contact you by email or otherwise about their products or services.


    I have no problem with becoming a retail customer in the usual sense but I'm not inclined to be forced into becoming a member of anything. I don't need any more robocalls, spam, and junk mail than I already get. Looks like I'm relegated to following games via live stats.
    Use a junk email address and either your old (nonexistent) landline or just enter your cell phone but one digit off.

  13. #213
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Sacred Heart is building a 4,000 seat on campus rink. Add them as a potential candidate for Hockey East at some point.

    Bobby Valentine getting stuff done!

  14. #214
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    261

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Sacred Heart is building a 4,000 seat on campus rink. Add them as a potential candidate for Hockey East at some point.

    Bobby Valentine getting stuff done!
    Agree that this seems like a strategy for a Hockey East move. The news reports I had access to made no mention of how the rink is getting funded. Do you know if the funds are already raised?

  15. #215
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    753

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    @jimmyconnelly: Have learned some ADs in @hockey_east favor moving away from single-sport league and having all-sport conference administrate hockey. Could be @AmericaEast or another and is far from final, but could also spell the end of Hockey East as we know it. Full story on @USCHO tomorrow.

    How ****ing dumb would they have to be to do this

  16. #216
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    6,619

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    @jimmyconnelly: Have learned some ADs in @hockey_east favor moving away from single-sport league and having all-sport conference administrate hockey. Could be @AmericaEast or another and is far from final, but could also spell the end of Hockey East as we know it. Full story on @USCHO tomorrow.

    How ****ing dumb would they have to be to do this
    This would be hard to do... only 4 Hockey East teams are in America East with 6 other conferences represented in Hockey East...

  17. #217
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    @jimmyconnelly: Have learned some ADs in @hockey_east favor moving away from single-sport league and having all-sport conference administrate hockey. Could be @AmericaEast or another and is far from final, but could also spell the end of Hockey East as we know it. Full story on @USCHO tomorrow.

    How ****ing dumb would they have to be to do this

  18. #218
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,452
    Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    This would be hard to do... only 4 Hockey East teams are in America East with 6 other conferences represented in Hockey East...
    America East would oversee the conference with their staff. What is the staff of Hockey East really doing for the teams? Could America Easts staff do just as good as Hockey East? I will argue they would do an even better job.

  19. #219
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,452

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    I just looked at the Hockey East twitter page which has very minimal original content. They basically slice up the players of the week video they get from the schools, make a video and post it. Everything else is retweets of conference teams.

    https://twitter.com/hockey_east

    America East on the other hand has interviews which they are taping on their own, podcasts, etc.

    https://twitter.com/AmericaEast

    Why is Hockey East not doing the same thing?
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

  20. #220
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

    I will still call it Hockey East

    Honestly, we probably wouldn't even notice a big difference if this were to happen. But what would America East gain in doing this?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •