Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    Yeah I think priority #1 for the new commish should be to get some sort of league-wide streaming deal, preferably ESPN+ (PLEASE NO FLO). Centralization is way better than having to run all over the **** place wondering if I have to pay or not.
    I agree. Get a single streaming platform and pay $10-20 for the season for all HE games. Have each home school advertise to alumni, and HE advertise to local hockey leagues, clubs, Juniors etc who want their players/parents to get scholarships . Each home school to provide broadcasters with homer broadcasters to create rivalries. As far as TV I would think NESN would want non bruins nights to be entertaining and not just one team working their own deal i.e. Merrimack. Make it the league and highlight rivalries like BU/BC, NH/ME/VT and create Lowell/Umass and NE/Merrimack/PC rivalries or something of the sort. Rivalries create interest.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
      I agree. Get a single streaming platform and pay $10-20 for the season for all HE games. Have each home school advertise to alumni, and HE advertise to local hockey leagues, clubs, Juniors etc who want their players/parents to get scholarships . Each home school to provide broadcasters with homer broadcasters to create rivalries. As far as TV I would think NESN would want non bruins nights to be entertaining and not just one team working their own deal i.e. Merrimack. Make it the league and highlight rivalries like BU/BC, NH/ME/VT and create Lowell/Umass and NE/Merrimack/PC rivalries or something of the sort. Rivalries create interest.
      Perhaps create another Beanpot like tournament such as the Syrup Gatherers tournament and have ME, NH, VT, Dartmouth play a similar event to again create rivalry versus the lame holiday tournaments that teams attend in Florida or the UVM tournament etc. Again create nasty rivalries like the old Dallas/Eagles/Giants or Patriots/Jets that get people interested and angry. Nobody cares if Bowling Green or LSSU comes in for a holiday tournament. Save those games for early October preseason.

Comment

Thx Jim for the Great Article on a Great Commissioner. Good Luck Joe with your next opportunity, as I am very sure you will have many. College Hockey will not be same without Joe Bertagna.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/07/23/com...better-person/

Comment

This is what happens when the Comm Ave Axis goes Beanpot-less for three years and wins the HEA Tournament only twice since 2013. But seriously, there has to be a story behind the story here. I'd like to get some insight on how the decision to let the contract expire was reached, which institutions were pushing it, and how united (or not) the ADs were WRT extending the contract. The USCHO and CHN stories went only so far.

I don't know Joe personally but have always had great respect for him and wish him all the best.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Perhaps create another Beanpot like tournament such as the Syrup Gatherers tournament and have ME, NH, VT, Dartmouth play a similar event to again create rivalry versus the lame holiday tournaments that teams attend in Florida or the UVM tournament etc. Again create nasty rivalries like the old Dallas/Eagles/Giants or Patriots/Jets that get people interested and angry. Nobody cares if Bowling Green or LSSU comes in for a holiday tournament. Save those games for early October preseason.
            That was tried with Maine-UNH-Vermont-UML. No one cared. Maine and UNH created a rivalry the old fashioned way- by being neighbors who were both good at the same time. No amount of artifice will ever get either team to look at Vermont the same way. The Beanpot works because all four schools are in the same city and have a big NHL rink to play in, adding mystique. Having four northern schools that are hours apart play in one of their home rinks won't accomplish anything.

Comment

Honestly, I hadn't noticed Joe Bertagna was still "running" HE. He's been MIA for a long time now.

Given the harsh (but true) message he received from his AD's, he should step down immediately.

Or he can just occupy space non-productively, like he's been doing for so long already.

I think we can all guess what decision he will most likely make.

Yawn.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                This is what happens when the Comm Ave Axis goes Beanpot-less for three years and wins the HEA Tournament only twice since 2013. But seriously, there has to be a story behind the story here. I'd like to get some insight on how the decision to let the contract expire was reached, which institutions were pushing it, and how united (or not) the ADs were WRT extending the contract. The USCHO and CHN stories went only so far.

I don't know Joe personally but have always had great respect for him and wish him all the best.
                After reading about the NCHC formation, I hope that all the schools were united on this.
                #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                  After reading about the NCHC formation, I hope that all the schools were united on this.
                  Why? What do you think will happen if the vote was split?

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

You got to wonder how much in the pocket Jim and Wodon were with Bertagna as there are no quotes in here from AD's that ended up removing him. At least get them off the record on their opinions.
                    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                      Some in-season things the last few years - mainly a lack of action on varied incidents with players, coaches, etc. (the league burying its head in the sand on the racist incident at the BC/PC game last year was shameful) didn't help the league or the commish look very good either.
                      Investigating (not exactly the specialty of a minuscule college hockey league) but not being able to prove/conclude something isn't burying your head in the sand. That would be like Penn State football under Paterno.

Aside from that, would love to know what caused the split. I doubt certain ADs have much involvement. For example, Jerry York would have a much better feel for Bertagna than Martin Jarmond. I would think the coaches are driving this. They would be advising the AD about whether or not they approve of the commissioner.

Could it be TV/marketing the league? Losing Notre Dame and unable to round out the league?
                      Last edited by J.D.; 07-24-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                        You got to wonder how much in the pocket Jim and Wodon were with Bertagna as there are no quotes in here from AD's that ended up removing him. At least get them off the record on their opinions.
                        But no one does real journalism like this anymore. Why start now, with this? How inconvenient.

Connolly's gushing over the "legendary" (what great things did I miss these last 20+ years?) outgoing HE commish would be embarrassing enough, if he didn't pile on by following that up by touting an uninspiring list of anonymous admin types from around college hockey as his would-be replacements - most (if not all) of whom are probably JC's pals. As if the status quo here is going to be good enough.

Dave Gavitt set the standard years ago on what could be done to transform a winter D-1 conference.

Bertagna has fallen so far short of that standard, he makes Gary Bettman look like a visionary.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Honestly, I hadn't noticed Joe Bertagna was still "running" HE. He's been MIA for a long time now.

Given the harsh (but true) message he received from his AD's, he should step down immediately.

Or he can just occupy space non-productively, like he's been doing for so long already.

I think we can all guess what decision he will most likely make.

Yawn.
                          little boy blue......
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            little boy blue......
                            I think that was (pretty) mean.

For the unlighted. 🙈

Comment

Agree with Chuck on Bertagna. I forget when he took over (can't even remember who his predecessor was) but I feel like the stability of the league made Bertagna look good. Back in the big 4 era with those teams and coaches, you certainly didn't need a great commissioner. I have never really been a fan of Bertagna but I would rather not get into why. But let's say you are a fan or think he's a "legend". What has he done to make you think that? Simply not mess up what has proven to be the most stable/successful league? (Since the WCHA split up)

Comment

Get a single streaming platform and pay $10-20 for the season for all HE games.
                                More realistic is "Pay on average $10-$20 PER GAME if you buy the full season package" based on what other leagues charge.
                                Ryan
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X