• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apollo 11 - 50 years on.

TV transmission coming up in about 5 minutes
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Subscribed.

I’m impossibly young. I don’t even remember challenger.

I still think about putting a human on a celestial body and returning him safely is almost impossible to fathom.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

But for a young kid, there were a couple of memories that stand out. First, I remember thinking "why are they waiting so long to get out" after they landed on the moon? Isn't it like a car, where you open the door and get out?
        I remember my parents made me come in from outside to watch the broadcast (thanks mom & dad) and thinking the exact same thing. It seemed to take forever for Armstrong to step outside

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Watch the opening scenes from E1 of PBS' Chasing the Moon series. Goosebumps.
        Great series. One thing they didn't make clear: How did these guys fit their humongous ball into such a small capsule? Man, the courage it took to do what they did is unbelievable.
        "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
        Groucho Marx
        "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
        Ron White
        "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
        Milo Bloom

Comment

This is Apollo Control 17 hours 33 minutes Ground Elapsed Time. Apollo 11 now some 79,700 nautical miles out from Earth at a velocity of 6,320 feet per second. Telemetry display for the crew biomedical readings now shows all three men in a fairly deep sleep. The mean heart rates in the 40's for all three men. Command Module cabin pressure holding at 4.7 pounds per square inch. Cabin temperature is 63 degrees. No measurements on the Lunar Module in terms of cabin pressure in as much as the Lunar Module has not been activated and will not be until shortly before entering Lunar orbit and the first manning for the module is checked out, systems are checked out and closed back up again. Spacecraft analysis reports coming out of the back room here in Mission Control Center read like some of the ones in Apollo 10 toward the end of the mission when they were down to one page. And most of the entries are all systems performance normal, systems operation normal, no change from last report, et cetera, et cetera. In the spacecraft fuel cell, performance is normal. And the load sharing is shown within 3.2 amps. Cryogenic hydrogen and oxygen quantities now show total oxygen at 558 pounds, 279 pounds in each of the two tanks, 49 pounds of cryogenic hydrogen, 24.2 pounds in Tank 1, 24.8 in Tank 2. And the cryogenic system is performing normal. At 17 hours 36 minutes Ground Elapsed Time, this is Apollo Control.

Comment

Only thing I wish they would add is a small graphic that would show which stage the spacecraft is in as they progress. I realize there would't be much change for a majority of the trip, but still I think it would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              "Heart rates in the 40s"

Traveling better than a mile per second in a tiny rocket and their heart rates are in the 40s. I walk to the mailbox and my pulse gets up to 80.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                "Heart rates in the 40s"

Traveling better than a mile per second in a tiny rocket and their heart rates are in the 40s. I walk to the mailbox and my pulse gets up to 80.
                Your heart rate goes down in zero-gravity, and they were sleeping. But yes mine would probably still be around 60.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  Your heart rate goes down in zero-gravity, and they were sleeping.
                  I was gonna say if your heart rate is consistently in the 40s you're either a marathon runner or a very sick man.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    Your heart rate goes down in zero-gravity, and they were sleeping. But yes mine would probably still be around 60.
                    Interstellar travel is nice and all, but it can't compare to the excitement of walking in my driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      I was gonna say if your heart rate is consistently in the 40s you're either a marathon runner AND a very sick man.
                      FYP- Marathon runners are not normal people.

Still, the era that these guys were test pilots was in an era that the very first time a concept was tried in real full scale was not a model. They had to learn how to solve problems in real time just to come home safely. And I do think that many of the flight controllers came from a background where they were on the other side of the mic helping to solve those problems- thus they were cool, calm, and collected too.

To make something so dramatic and difficult sound so very boring take some serious skill and confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        FYP- Marathon runners are not normal people.

Still, the era that these guys were test pilots was in an era that the very first time a concept was tried in real full scale was not a model. They had to learn how to solve problems in real time just to come home safely. And I do think that many of the flight controllers came from a background where they were on the other side of the mic helping to solve those problems- thus they were cool, calm, and collected too.

To make something so dramatic and difficult sound so very boring take some serious skill and confidence.
                        I think a lot of them were ex-mil. Probably not combat vets given their ages but still, that does adjust the Overton Window of what constitutes an emergency. A guy on my trivia team is a refugee from Somalia who spent three years in camps and saw unbelievably horrific stuff happen with such regularity that he is completely unflappable. I've seen it on a couple occasions where he just pivots into "dealing with it" mode with not even a millisecond of stopping to emotionally react or process the scene. It's like the way we tie shoes without thinking about it -- but he can do that with, say, an active shooter.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I think a lot of them were ex-mil. Probably not combat vets given their ages but still, that does adjust the Overton Window of what constitutes an emergency. A guy on my trivia team is a refugee from Somalia who spent three years in camps and saw unbelievably horrific stuff happen with such regularity that he is completely unflappable. I've seen it on a couple occasions where he just pivots into "dealing with it" mode with not even a millisecond of stopping to emotionally react or process the scene. It's like the way we tie shoes without thinking about it -- but he can do that with, say, an active shooter.
                          From what I understand, for many of them, there was a requirement to be a test pilot. Which is the path I was going down. Lest we forget, Armstrong had an issue with an X15 where he was bouncing had serious control issues prior to him being part of Gemini. And his Gemini flight also almost killed him. So he had massive background in dealing with totally unknown flight problems. Test pilots of that era were amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                            I remember my parents made me come in from outside to watch the broadcast (thanks mom & dad) and thinking the exact same thing. It seemed to take forever for Armstrong to step outside.
                            Armstrong touched the surface of the moon at 10:56 pm ET. He started to open the hatch at 10:39 pm ET. What time zone did you live in? Are you sure you were outside playing?
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              From what I understand, for many of them, there was a requirement to be a test pilot. Which is the path I was going down. Lest we forget, Armstrong had an issue with an X15 where he was bouncing had serious control issues prior to him being part of Gemini. And his Gemini flight also almost killed him. So he had massive background in dealing with totally unknown flight problems. Test pilots of that era were amazing.
                              Not to mention he ran the fuel on the LM down to zero as he landed on the moon...
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Some highlights with the last 2 not yet completed as mission is currently at 24:24:13. They slept for roughly 10 hours. I can't imagine why.

000:00:00 Lift-off
                                000:02:42 Stage 2
                                000:09:12 Stage 3
                                000:11:51 Entered Earth Orbit
                                001:06:00 Armstrong offers Collins some gum
                                001:20:11 Lost hasselblad
                                002:44:18 Trans-Lunar Injection (TLI)
                                002:53:03 Saturn "magnificent ride"
                                003:19:44 16mm filming
                                003:20:48 flies like a spacecraft instead of a simulator
                                003:21:01 Transposition and Docking
                                003:53:06 Neil can see most of the world
                                004:28:46 RCS propellant concern
                                004:52:19 Armstrong describes his view out the window
                                004:53:28 Collins jokes about his view
                                005:20:31 Eating lunch
                                005:23:47 Wishing Dr. George Mueller a happy birthday
                                008:04:08 Collins debates trunnion measurements with Mission Control
                                011:19:56 Eating peanut butter and jelly
                                012:47:04 Crew Sleep Period Start
                                022:50:12 Crew wake-up
                                023:14:22 News report: Man on Mars by 2000, hippies, loch ness
                                024:45:35 Collins says Earth is a "beautiful sight"
                                025:11:15 Jim Lovell says hello

Comment

Working...
                                X