Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    MNUFC doesn't suck! Currently in 2nd place in the West and point back of 2nd best record in MLS. Obviously they slip back a little depending on the Seattle vs SKC game tonight.
    Considering how garbage Seattle looks right now, welcome to second place.

(Comrade Fox)

Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    That's my GOD **** captain.

It's weird being top of the East table in August, by the way.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

*Iím told Minnesota United has completed the transfer of 18-year-old Uruguayan attacking midfielder Thomas Chacon from Uruguayan club Danubio for a fee of $4 million, a fee that secures 70 percent of his rights for #MNUFC . Big move for the Loons. #MLS*
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

*I’m told Minnesota United has completed the transfer of 18-year-old Uruguayan attacking midfielder Thomas Chacon from Uruguayan club Danubio for a fee of $4 million, a fee that secures 70 percent of his rights for #MNUFC . Big move for the Loons. #MLS*
    Wow - I had no idea MLS teams paid that kind of $$ for any player let alone one that young.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Wow - I had no idea MLS teams paid that kind of $$ for any player let alone one that young.
    According to Transfermarkt, Chacon would be the 21st highest fee paid for a player coming to MLS.
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/major-l...=&w_s=&zuab=zu
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Itís an emerging trend in MLS for teams to buy younger South American talent. The Almiron transfer showed that talent that MLS is a pretty good place to pass through on your way to the upper level Euro teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    It’s an emerging trend in MLS for teams to buy younger South American talent. The Almiron transfer showed that talent that MLS is a pretty good place to pass through on your way to the upper level Euro teams.
    Will MLS reach a point in the next 10 years where they will have a fighting chance to keep some of their best players?

Will MLS reach a point in the next 10 years where they will have a fighting chance to keep some of their best players?
    I don't know why we could ever expect that...I think the next 10+ years this league should be selling their best talent.

I don't know why we could ever expect that...I think the next 10+ years this league should be selling their best talent.
    So the goal is not to make MLS a Top 5-7 league world wide? Maybe the expectation is too unrealistic.

So the goal is not to make MLS a Top 5-7 league world wide? Maybe the expectation is too unrealistic.
    As long as the Champions League remains a thing, itíll be a tough nut to crack.

Wayne Rooney in January
    DC United -> Derby County

What leagues in the world aren't selling their best talent? I mean outside of 2-3 teams in Italy, Germany, France, Spain...everyone is selling except the EPL.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    What leagues in the world aren't selling their best talent? I mean outside of 2-3 teams in Italy, Germany, France, Spain...everyone is selling except the EPL.
    Mike Ashley didnít get that memo

Those leagues are also acquiring talent right? The EPL doesn't dominate the CL and went 6 years without a win and 5 years without a finalist. In fact since 2012 Spain had 7 CL finalists, England 3, Germany 2 and Italy 2. Also Ajax and Paris FC would wipe the floor with most MLS teams.

Again I don't ever expect MLS to be spoken about in the same sentence as the Bundesliga, Lique 2, La Liga, EPL, etc., but I am sure US fans would love to see a bit more of the homegrown talent than they're used to seeing if it doesn't come at the expense of development for the NT.

Those leagues are also acquiring talent right? The EPL doesn't dominate the CL and went 6 years without a win and 5 years without a finalist. In fact since 2012 Spain had 7 CL finalists, England 3, Germany 2 and Italy 2. Also Ajax and Paris FC would wipe the floor with most MLS teams.

Again I don't ever expect MLS to be spoken about in the same sentence as the Bundesliga, Lique 2, La Liga, EPL, etc., but I am sure US fans would love to see a bit more of the homegrown talent than they're used to seeing if it doesn't come at the expense of development for the NT.
    The biggest problem with that is the $ vehicles MLS has created aren't "meant" for Americans. MLS doesn't want teams using GAM/TAM on keeping Americans. It's meant to bring in other talent so until that changes...

You can talk about finalists or whatever but those non-english teams are the same couple of teams aren't they? Like I said, other than the EPL, none of those leagues are deep. There are 2-3 teams that dominate and spend... The bottom half of La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga has talent but they aren't dropping giant coin on acquiring players. Ajax has amazing development abilities...

The biggest problem with that is the $ vehicles MLS has created aren't "meant" for Americans. MLS doesn't want teams using GAM/TAM on keeping Americans. It's meant to bring in other talent so until that changes...

You can talk about finalists or whatever but those non-english teams are the same couple of teams aren't they? Like I said, other than the EPL, none of those leagues are deep. There are 2-3 teams that dominate and spend... The bottom half of La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga has talent but they aren't dropping giant coin on acquiring players. Ajax has amazing development abilities...
    I'm not even sure the bottom of Serie A is any good.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

And even Ajax spent five seasons without a CL appearance.

Heck, even big teams like Ajax are usually sellers on the transfer market.

And yet even those sellers would be hard pressed to find MLS teams a stiff test on the whole.

Like I said I don't expect MLS to ever be on an even playing field in this regard and England is the world benchmark, but even Germany doesn't lose most of their best to other leagues. A look at 2018 WC teams and how many played in their home country:

Portugal - 5
    Spain - 17 (on 6 different La Liga teams)
    France - 9 (on 5 Ligue 2 teams)
    Peru - 5
    Argentina - 4
    Brazil - 3
    Germany - 15 (on 8 Bundesliga teams)
    England - all players were in the EPL (10 different teams)

And yet even those sellers would be hard pressed to find MLS teams a stiff test on the whole.

Like I said I don't expect MLS to ever be on an even playing field in this regard and England is the world benchmark, but even Germany doesn't lose most of their best to other leagues. A look at 2018 WC teams and how many played in their home country:

Portugal - 5
    Spain - 17 (on 6 different La Liga teams)
    France - 9 (on 5 Ligue 2 teams)
    Peru - 5
    Argentina - 4
    Brazil - 3
    Germany - 15 (on 8 Bundesliga teams)
    England - all players were in the EPL (10 different teams)
    and how many Americans would have been from MLS? a decent amount...so that comparison...idk

and how many Americans would have been from MLS? a decent amount...so that comparison...idk
    Several I'm sure but we're losing too many for my taste is my point and I'd like to see it be less. That may not be realistic but it's my personal want.

Thread Information