Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 406

Thread: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

  1. #21
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,367

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    Another good example of the "entitled aura" is the situation over the firing of former coach Tom Sermanni (a Scot hired to replace former coach Pia Sundhage in 2012). He experimented with lineups and formations during his term, he called in 44 different players in his ~18 months in charge and wasn't afraid to leave veteran players like Abby Wambach, Carli Lloyd, or Alex Morgan at home or on the bench in favor of giving younger players a shot (a not at all unreasonable or uncommon thing done at the international). He was fired not long after a disappointing Algarve Cup (a formerly prestigious tournament the US does not play in anymore in favor of hosting their tournament the SheBelieves Cup) where the US lost two games.

    It's widely speculated that Sermanni was fired because he was not using veteran players like Wambach, that the veteran players rebelled and demanded Sermanni be fired after speaking to then President Sunil Gulati.
    Last edited by Jimjamesak; 07-10-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

    Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Quote Originally Posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

  2. #22
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,367

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    Speaking of the NWSL: Ruh Roh.

  3. #23
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    42,287

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    Hi, I'm Amber Marie, and not only am I a trans girl, I also started watching soccer around the time Zidane committed his infamous headbutt. Then I started watching Newcastle United games about 10 years ago. I've become quite used to play up, "just happy to be here," then get sent back down, and watching the cycle repeat itself.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    ďDon't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.Ē
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  4. #24
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,920

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    Whoever thought of the International Champions Cup is a genius. Americans complain about paying full price for preseason NFL, but will dish out hundreds to watch preseason soccer. Meanwhile the rest of the world figured it out and makes us export our regular season games. Yes, La Liga is sending regular season games our way, but that's far outnumbered by the zillions of friendlies that take place here.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    68,240

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Yes, La Liga is sending regular season games our way, but that's far outnumbered by the zillions of friendlies that take place here.
    Wait. Really? REALLY?

    That would be so cool!

    We need Serie A.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  6. #26
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Wait. Really? REALLY?

    That would be so cool!

    We need Serie A.
    No, itís not happening. Some promoter maybe had a preliminary agreement and announced it but La Liga hadnít even talked to the teams or players yet.

    And heck no there should not be any regular season games.

    But the ICC and Euro friendlies are the most hilarious fleecing of eurosnob rubes ever created. The Barca-Real friendly in Miami was the most obvious, it was cheaper to fly to Madrid/Barcelona and watch a regular season Classico than travel and tickets to that game.

  7. #27
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Wait. Really? REALLY?

    That would be so cool!

    We need Serie A.
    Well, they were, but at least last yearís game was canceled because Barcelona protested and the players around the league all threatened to strike. Not sure if theyíre going to try again, but the original plan was for a game a year for 15 years.

  8. #28
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Well, they were, but at least last yearís game was canceled because Barcelona protested and the players around the league all threatened to strike. Not sure if theyíre going to try again, but the original plan was for a game a year for 15 years.
    Theyíre not going to, the logistical nightmare it would create for teams and players will see to that.

  9. #29
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Theyíre not going to, the logistical nightmare it would create for teams and players will see to that.
    No offense, but if the NFL and MLB can make it work, so could the soccer leagues.

    The players don't want to do it, fine. But logistics is a bullshiat argument.

  10. #30
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,367
    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    No offense, but if the NFL and MLB can make it work, so could the soccer leagues.

    The players don't want to do it, fine. But logistics is a bullshiat argument.
    Thereís no bye weeks like in the NFL and theyíre not playing every day like MLB. Plus, La Ligaís season is already controversially long anyway, remember when it ran right into the World Cup in 2002?

    Most importantly, these are leagues where traveling to far flung Euro cities is considered daunting, you really think La Liga is capable of handling the logistics of trying to play a game in Miami?

    This comes up every few years, even the PL had that 39th game proposal, and itís always DOA when it comes out.

  11. #31
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,939

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Thereís no bye weeks like in the NFL and theyíre not playing every day like MLB. Plus, La Ligaís season is already controversially long anyway, remember when it ran right into the World Cup in 2002?

    Most importantly, these are leagues where traveling to far flung Euro cities is considered daunting, you really think La Liga is capable of handling the logistics of trying to play a game in Miami?

    This comes up every few years, even the PL had that 39th game proposal, and itís always DOA when it comes out.
    I thought there was also an issue with FIFA related to league games being played not in the country the league is set up in?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  12. #32
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I thought there was also an issue with FIFA related to league games being played not in the country the league is set up in?
    Thatís the other wrinkle, the Spanish Fed, the USSF, and FIFA would all have to approve it.

    Of course, SOP for the USSF is that USSF referees have to be used on matches played in the US. So thatís another wrinkle.

  13. #33
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,624

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    If the Euros can manage league games, UEFA games, intra-country cup games and WC qualifiers (when going on) they can certainly manage a few real league games in the US.

  14. #34
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    If the Euros can manage league games, UEFA games, intra-country cup games and WC qualifiers (when going on) they can certainly manage a few real league games in the US.
    I will say you donít pay attention too much then. Whatís the biggest complaint from Euro clubs regarding CL qualifying rounds and the Europa League? The travel. Whatís the biggest complaint from Euro clubs about South American qualifying? The players travel. Euro clubs hate traveling to Krakow and Basel for competitive games, what makes you think, beyond money, theyíll want to travel to the US for games in the middle of their season.

  15. #35
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,624

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I will say you don’t pay attention too much then. What’s the biggest complaint from Euro clubs regarding CL qualifying rounds and the Europa League? The travel. What’s the biggest complaint from Euro clubs about South American qualifying? The players travel. Euro clubs hate traveling to Krakow and Basel for competitive games, what makes you think, beyond money, they’ll want to travel to the US for games in the middle of their season.
    You don't always have to go condescending when people offer a differing POV.

    Despite the bye week I doubt NFL players enjoy playing in Europe. And I didn't say players would like it but they wouldn't necessarily have a say in the matter would they?

  16. #36
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I will say you donít pay attention too much then. Whatís the biggest complaint from Euro clubs regarding CL qualifying rounds and the Europa League? The travel. Whatís the biggest complaint from Euro clubs about South American qualifying? The players travel. Euro clubs hate traveling to Krakow and Basel for competitive games, what makes you think, beyond money, theyíll want to travel to the US for games in the middle of their season.
    We're not saying they'd want to. We're saying logistics aren't preventing it.

  17. #37
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,891

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I will say you don’t pay attention too much then. What’s the biggest complaint from Euro clubs regarding CL qualifying rounds and the Europa League? The travel. What’s the biggest complaint from Euro clubs about South American qualifying? The players travel. Euro clubs hate traveling to Krakow and Basel for competitive games, what makes you think, beyond money, they’ll want to travel to the US for games in the middle of their season.
    Dude, we are discussing soccer on A COLLEGE HOCKEY message board, NOT one of your soccer referee message boards where soccer is life 24/7 365... Can you stop talking down to anyone who disagrees with you?

    You hate the "euro snobs" when it comes to keeping MLS down. You do realize that you're doing the same thing here, right? I'm pretty sure everyone in the discussion here is a "casual fan" of soccer, not someone who lives/breathes the game. Yet you seem to think we're all beneath you, just like fans of the Euro Leagues think MLS is below them. Kinda ironic, eh?
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  18. #38
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    You don't always have to go condescending when people offer a differing POV.

    Despite the bye week I doubt NFL players enjoy playing in Europe. And I didn't say players would like it but they wouldn't necessarily have a say in the matter would they?
    Sorry, itís a bit of annoyance from me coming out to what should be easily found info.

    And the players and managers will absolutely have a say about whether all this happens. They already threatened a strike on this matter. No players, no games.

    The simple fact is, this **** gets proposed all the time. The PL has done it, Serie A has done it, La Liga has done it, and theyíve all not done it in the end, because itís not worth the hassle with FIFA and the Feds and also the travel. It easier to just play at home and fleece a few million more in TV rights.

  19. #39
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,624

    Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Sorry, it’s a bit of annoyance from me coming out to what should be easily found info.

    And the players and managers will absolutely have a say about whether all this happens. They already threatened a strike on this matter. No players, no games.

    The simple fact is, this **** gets proposed all the time. The PL has done it, Serie A has done it, La Liga has done it, and they’ve all not done it in the end, because it’s not worth the hassle with FIFA and the Feds and also the travel. It easier to just play at home and fleece a few million more in TV rights.
    Fair enough.

  20. #40
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,367
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Dude, we are discussing soccer on A COLLEGE HOCKEY message board, NOT one of your soccer referee message boards where soccer is life 24/7 365... Can you stop talking down to anyone who disagrees with you?

    You hate the "euro snobs" when it comes to keeping MLS down. You do realize that you're doing the same thing here, right? I'm pretty sure everyone in the discussion here is a "casual fan" of soccer, not someone who lives/breathes the game. Yet you seem to think we're all beneath you, just like fans of the Euro Leagues think MLS is below them. Kinda ironic, eh?
    Itís no snobbery, itís annoyance at seeing the same s- over and over, year after year. And itís not just this topic, itís everything, the womenís pay debate, the ragging on the menís team and MLS, these Euro friendlies, the possiblity of Euro league games etc. Itís the same discussion every time and the same answers every time. History doesnít repeat but it does rhyme.

    Of course itís my fault for going ďaw jeez not this s- again...Ē instead of ignoring it like I should.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

  1. First Time, Long Time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •