No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXX: We Have Men Too!

So basically you're saying you are what your record says you are so the USMNT is, at least for the short term, up a crick?

I hope we've pulled our head out by 2026. That's the only time in my lifetime I'm going to have a shot of seeing us go deep. But for that to happen, if you're right and the cupboard is bare, then we have to start developing that team literally right now.
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-16-2019, 01:59 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

On the bright side, it appears the United States squad will be spared the extreme heat of a World Cup in Qatar.

Comment

To be honest it is something one gets used to
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          To be honest it is something one gets used to
          Missing World Cups?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            So basically you're saying you are what your record says you are so the USMNT is, at least for the short term, up a crick?

I hope we've pulled our head out by 2026. That's the only time in my lifetime I'm going to have a shot of seeing us go deep. But for that to happen, if you're right and the cupboard is bare, then we have to start developing that team literally right now.
            The cupboard isn't bare, the cupboard is young.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              The cupboard isn't bare, the cupboard is young.
              This.

The USMNT isn’t up a crick or anything, it’s just that they’re not as good as they use to be and if they play like crap against an extremely motivated team like Canada they will lose.

My reaction is more that we should be focusing on the fact that the team played terrible and not so much on “OMG THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN WE NEED TO BLOW IT UP!!!” I get that people are still angry about the World Cup but things don’t change overnight.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                This.

The USMNT isn’t up a crick or anything, it’s just that they’re not as good as they use to be and if they play like crap against an extremely motivated team like Canada they will lose.

My reaction is more that we should be focusing on the fact that the team played terrible and not so much on “OMG THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN WE NEED TO BLOW IT UP!!!” I get that people are still angry about the World Cup but things don’t change overnight.
                OK; that's significantly better.

Tell immigrants if we win the Cup there's full amnesty and everybody becomes a citizen. We will win the Cup fielding an entire lineup named Martinez.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

But remember, it’s Berhalter’s fault.
                  Berhalter isn't doing himself any favors but this is a good point. Take the U20 squads from 2009 to 2013, this should theoretically be a group in its prime...so few of them have been anything.

From the 2009 U20 WC: 8 of the 23 man have been capped...but two were one-cap wonders and two were capped by not-the-US. That leaves one with Sean Johnson, Mix Diskerud, Jorge Villafaña, and Brek Shea...Johnson is a backup at best internationally, the other three are rubbish

From the 2011 Concacaf U20 Championship (they missed the U20 WC): Bobby Wood, Sebastian Lletget, and Greg Garza the only ones to need a second hand to count their caps, and one of them is currently a defender on an MLS team that gave up the most goals in a season, ever.

From the 2013 U20 WC: 6 players capped, 2 of whom have played less than 5, which leaves us with Yedlin, Trapp, Steffen, and Acosta.

It's that lost generation that's killing the US national team. There isn't enough to bridge the Project 2010 gang with the young up and comers (Pulisic, Adams, McKinnie, etc).
                  https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                  https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                  NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                  Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    OK; that's significantly better.

Tell immigrants if we win the Cup there's full amnesty and everybody becomes a citizen. We will win the Cup fielding an entire lineup named Martinez.
                    Mexico has never done better than the best USA teams...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                      Berhalter isn't doing himself any favors but this is a good point. Take the U20 squads from 2009 to 2013, this should theoretically be a group in its prime...so few of them have been anything.

From the 2009 U20 WC: 8 of the 23 man have been capped...but two were one-cap wonders and two were capped by not-the-US. That leaves one with Sean Johnson, Mix Diskerud, Jorge Villafaña, and Brek Shea...Johnson is a backup at best internationally, the other three are rubbish

From the 2011 Concacaf U20 Championship (they missed the U20 WC): Bobby Wood, Sebastian Lletget, and Greg Garza the only ones to need a second hand to count their caps, and one of them is currently a defender on an MLS team that gave up the most goals in a season, ever.

From the 2013 U20 WC: 6 players capped, 2 of whom have played less than 5, which leaves us with Yedlin, Trapp, Steffen, and Acosta.

It's that lost generation that's killing the US national team. There isn't enough to bridge the Project 2010 gang with the young up and comers (Pulisic, Adams, McKinnie, etc).
                      Do we blame that on the transition from Bradenton to MLS academies?

Comment

Mexico has never done better than the best USA teams...
                        The immigrants aren't coming from Mexico, they're coming *through* Mexico. Which doesn't bode well considering the World Cup track records of Honduras, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Maybe we can get a bunch of Argentines and Brazilians.

Comment

We have 10 months to get this figured out. That's the issue. The kids will have the weight of the world on their shoulders come next September.
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Do we blame that on the transition from Bradenton to MLS academies?
                            Possibly, DA started in 2007, but that really isn’t too much of an excuse. There’s just a dearth of talent from those birth years.

I even looked up the MLS Rookie of the Year winners for that era for the “late bloomer” factor like Dempsey. For reference the list from 1996 to 2009 includes:
                            1996 - Steve Ralston (36 caps)
                            1998 - Ben Olsen (37 caps, 2006 World Cup)
                            2000 - Carlos Bocanegra (110 caps, 2006 and 2010 World Cup)
                            2004 - Clint Dempsey (Clint Dempsey)
                            2006 - Jonathan Bornstein (36 caps, 2010 World Cup)
                            2007 - Maurice Edu (46 caps, 2010 World Cup)
                            2009 - Omar Gonzalez (52 caps, 2014 World Cup)

Solid list of pros and NT players with a few exceptional talents. You could even add some fringe guys like Jay Heaps (1999), Kyle Martino (2002), and Micheal Parkhurst (2005) who could’ve contributed as well.

Now, from Omar Gonzalez in 2009 to Jordan Morris in 2016 we have:
                            2010 - Andy Najar (Honduran)
                            2011 - CJ Sapong (4 caps, no goals)
                            2012 - Austin Berry (0 caps, left MLS in 2015, now a coach at FC Cincinnati)
                            2013 - Dillion Powers (0 caps)
                            2014 - Tesho Akindele (Canadian)
                            2015 - Cyle Larin (also Canadian)

Oof, there was just no notable from that era.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I blame Freddy Adu. He was supposed to be delivering our fourth straight World Cup in 2018.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                I blame Freddy Adu. He was supposed to be delivering our fourth straight World Cup in 2018.
                                I thought it was all on that kid who went Eye-tie?
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X