Page 1 of 45 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Genuinely Nice Planet

Master of Science

Genuinely Nice Planet

Ok we used to have a thread like this to share good news stories we find but I couldnt find the original so I thought I would start a new one.

I saw this article on msnbc recently about Dinner With the Smileys. Sarah Smiley is the wife of Dustin Smiley a Navy pilot who around Christmas last year was sent overseas for 13 months. She knew that it would be tough on thier 3 sons especially at dinner time when they look over and see their dad's empty spot. So rather than leave that spot empty they started a ritual they call Dinner With the Smileys. Every week or so they have a guest come over and have dinner with them. Some of the guests have been what you would normally expect IE their teachers. But the three boys sent letters to various people asking if they would like to have dinner with them. Their first guest was Maine Senator Susan Collins. They have had retired baseball player Matt Stairs over, a conductor who performed Star Wars music with the Boston Pops (the boys love Star Wars), an artist who illustrates childrens books, players from the Maine Black Bears hockey team as well as coach Tim Whitehead, a baseball historian who took them to a Univ. of Maine baseball game, the town mayor and chief of police, and others. The have a facebook page where they are documenting each meal with photos. Its quite neat. Their last dinner guest was a guy who built a working model of R2-D2. He even suprised them as R2 played a video for them that was a video of their dad from Afghanistan.

The sent inviations to some big names as well including both Obama and Biden. Apparently they have been contacted by the White House. Would be very neat for them to get to have dinner with the pres and his family.
    Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 05-08-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Re: Genuinely Nice Planet

Looks like the young man from Ishpeming with Downs Syndrome will get a waiver so he can play football and basketball his senior year after all. It the vote goes his way, it will be a triumph of common sense.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/08...est=latestnews
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Alien With an Attitude

If this doesn't make your eyes misty then you have no heart.

When US Marine Staff Sgt. Jeremy Cooney was deployed to Afghanistan last year, he left behind his wife and children, one of whom was born with cerebral palsy and couldn't walk.

Little did Cooney know that, over the next seven months, his six-year-old son Matthew would learn to walk on his own, ABC News reports.

Cooney's wife Melissa kept her son's progress a secret for the duration of her husband's deployment so that when he finally returned home, he would be welcomed with the gift of a lifetime.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    If this doesn't make your eyes misty then you have no heart.

Thanks.

Master of Science

Paralyzed woman complese London Marathon. Claire Lomas is paralyzed from the waist down but was able to finish the marathon using a bionic suit that allowed her to walk. She may have finished 16 days after the marathon started and although that wont get her in the official records she did raise more then 80,000 pounds for spinal research. The reason I am posting this is because of the awesome picture of her crossing the finish that I posted below:

*******https://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/NBCSports/Components/Slideshows-NBC_sports/_production/twisp-120513/twisp-120513-10.ss_full.jpg********

I believe that is her husband behind her carrying their 13-month old daugther.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    Paralyzed woman complese London Marathon. Claire Lomas is paralyzed from the waist down but was able to finish the marathon using a bionic suit that allowed her to walk. She may have finished 16 days after the marathon started and although that wont get her in the official records she did raise more then 80,000 pounds for spinal research. The reason I am posting this is because of the awesome picture of her crossing the finish that I posted below:

*******https://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/NBCSports/Components/Slideshows-NBC_sports/_production/twisp-120513/twisp-120513-10.ss_full.jpg********

I believe that is her husband behind her carrying their 13-month old daugther.
    I really wish there was a like button on here!

A nice moment in Wrigley Field today where Kerry Wood (with chronic arm problems dating back to very early in his career when he was horribly overworked) struck out a batter and retired on the spot.

https://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/video/pl...ic_id=17807232

If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    This is really cool!

Alien With an Attitude

21-year old double lung transplant patient on the road to recovery.
    https://m.torontosun.com/2012/05/25/l...pears-on-ellen

Master of Science

I actually saw this story on another site a while back but saw it again recently. Bob Carey's wife Linda has breast cancer. Bob is a photographer and in an effort to bring more awareness to the disease and to make his wife laugh, he has gone about taking numerous photos of himself wearing nothing but a pink tutu. His website has raised $60,000 and it has also helped many patients keep their sense of humor. He often brings the latest photos with him to his wifes chemo treatments and shows them to other patients. One patient said "I was thinking during the time he was showing it to me, this is the fastest my treatment ever went by. I immediately felt, 'I can do this.'"

Bob in a tutu:
    *******https://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-120524-tutu/ss-120524-tutu-08.ss_full.jpg********

I loved this.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

On any given night...

Didn't think I was going to like this at the very beginning of the vid, but what a production! Very cool!

What movie was that from?:
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

On this day when we remember and honor our fallen, this effort to honor WWII vets before it's too late, is uplifting.

https://dailycaller.com/2012/05/25/ho...crifice-video/

Master of Science

9 year old boy gives away trip to Disney world to family of soldier killed in Afghanistan.

https://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...n-soldier?lite

Young man imprisoned for false rape conviction has been offered tryouts by 4 NFL teams. Let's hope this is more than just posturing, and the guy will get a serious look. It would be miraculous if he's offered a contract. Even for Europe.
    Maybe miracles do happen.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ons-teams.html

Frankenstein's Monster
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Master of Science

Sick of seeing the other Nice Planet thread get more posts...

So here is this. At a track and field day at an elementary school in Ohio young Matt wanted to run the 400 meters (its a 200 meter grass track so he has to go around twice). Matt however, has cerebral palsy. What happens after Matt starts running is inspiring. Watch the video at the link and just try not to get a little teary. It can't be done.

Master of Science

Wow, bigmrg. We posted that same story at almost the same time...going to go ahead and leave mine up too cause its so good.

Frankenstein's Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    Sick of seeing the other Nice Planet thread get more posts...

So here is this. At a track and field day at an elementary school in Ohio young Matt wanted to run the 400 meters (its a 200 meter grass track so he has to go around twice). Matt however, has cerebral palsy. What happens after Matt starts running is inspiring. Watch the video at the link and just try not to get a little teary. It can't be done.
    think I beat you to it.... Hell of a story though.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Thread Information