X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Cole Caufield SNIPE:

Can't wait for this season to get rolling......
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      Cole Caufield SNIPE:

Can't wait for this season to get rolling......
      He's way too small for the NHL. I doubt he'll grow in college, probably a 5 yr guy with a RS year to bulk up.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Here is my guess at how the forwards will line up....

Weissbach-Turcotte-C. Caufield
        Pelton-Byce-Holloway-S. Dhooghe
        Gorniak-Lindmark-Baker
        Ahcan-Mersch-Donovan
        B. Caufield
        Messner-Zimmer-J. Dhooghe

I think you are going to see Messner and Zimmer get a decent share of games played as well.

Hopefully they will keep strength and decent faceoff guys down the middle at center and keep Baker on the wing. I think Baker could flourish as a third line wing. Mersch was great on draws, and the other three are very good as well especially Lindmark. Messner, Donovan and Baker play center as well and S. Dhooghe has taken many facoffs.

Don't know much about Pelton-Byce but hope he could add some physicality to the second line. He played a top 6 role at Harvard.

Not stacking Turcotte, Caufield and Holloway on the same line is going to mean one of those 2 top lines will not have to face the opposing teams' best defensive pairing. Either of those lines should be able to take advantage.

Not sure about Donovan in the bottom 6, but I don't think a draft pick sits on the bench and I'm not sure he's ready for the top 6 coming straight from high school on this team, at least to start the season.

Thoughts? What are you guys thinking for lineups?

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post

Gorniak-Lindmark-Baker
          Ahcan-Mersch-Donovan
          B. Caufield
          3 Fr centers, LOVE IT. Now UW can win some freaking faceoffs, that still p's me off about last year.

I wonder if this would have more top 2 line balance:

Wiessbach-Holloway-S. Dhooghe
          Pelton-Byce-Turcotte-C. Caufield

I'd love to have the Holloway line against the opposing's 1's to get a better mismatch for the 2nd line against the 2's.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            3 Fr centers, LOVE IT. Now UW can win some freaking faceoffs, that still p's me off about last year.

I'd love to have the Holloway line against the opposing's 1's to get a better mismatch for the 2nd line against the 2's.
            I actually think that would be better balance, I'm just not sure it would happen. I also wonder/worry about lack of size/physicality on the 2nd line with Weissbach, Holloway, Dhooghe.

It sounds like Pelton-Byce is probably more of a distributor than Weissbach which Caufield and Turcotte could use.

I'd actually love to see Holloway with Caufield and Turcotte center S. Dhooghe and Weissbach, but Caufield has said he expects to be on a line with Turcotte.
            Last edited by DPlaya; 07-31-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

It would be more balanced. But I'd kinda like to have that one dominant line that is a threat to score everytime they're on the ice. And no matter who the best three are for that first line... the 2nd lines still should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post

Gorniak-Lindmark-Baker
                Ahcan-Mersch-Donovan
                B. Caufield

I think you are going to see Messner and Zimmer get a decent share of games played as well.

Hopefully they will keep strength and decent faceoff guys down the middle at center and keep Baker on the wing. I think Baker could flourish as a third line wing. Mersch was great on draws, and the other three are very good as well especially Lindmark. Messner, Donovan and Baker play center as well and S. Dhooghe has taken many facoffs.

Don't know much about Pelton-Byce but hope he could add some physicality to the second line. He played a top 6 role at Harvard.

Not stacking Turcotte, Caufield and Holloway on the same line is going to mean one of those 2 top lines will not have to face the opposing teams' best defensive pairing. Either of those lines should be able to take advantage.

Not sure about Donovan in the bottom 6, but I don't think a draft pick sits on the bench and I'm not sure he's ready for the top 6 coming straight from high school on this team, at least to start the season.

Thoughts? What are you guys thinking for lineups?
                And I'd put Zimmer ahead of Baker. He's one of the only guys from last year that showed serious playmaking potential. It was sporadic but it was there. Baker was the master of the slap shot on goal from 20 feet out at a horrible angle. Put Zimmer with some actual hockey players and I think his potential may come through.

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                  And I'd put Zimmer ahead of Baker. He's one of the only guys from last year that showed serious playmaking potential. It was sporadic but it was there. Baker was the master of the slap shot on goal from 20 feet out at a horrible angle. Put Zimmer with some actual hockey players and I think his potential may come through.
                  Zimmer's effort was inconsistent, but yeah, maybe if he plays with actual players his true potential could be unlocked, kinda like Hukalo with Rhino and Heater.

Comment

I think Zimmer just doesn’t have it. Maybe he’s a practice player but in games he’s noticeable once every 7-8 games.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                      And I'd put Zimmer ahead of Baker. He's one of the only guys from last year that showed serious playmaking potential. It was sporadic but it was there. Baker was the master of the slap shot on goal from 20 feet out at a horrible angle.
                      The thing I do like about Baker is he effort was consistent and the was one of the few guys who was physical out there, understanding that TG wants less hitting and more skating.

Comment

The thing I do like about Baker is he effort was consistent and the was one of the few guys who was physical out there, understanding that TG wants less hitting and more skating.
                        I think Zimmer being a Senior will play against him as younger players and potentially players brought in by this staff (more upside potential) will get playing time before him. Baker is an Assistant Captain so I think he is a leader and his hard-nosed approach will be kept in the lineup.

Just my $.02 on the rationale I was thinking about.

Comment

Canadian towns have the best names....."At right wing, from Bragg Creek Alberta, number 4, Dyyyyyyyyyyyylan Holloway!"

I love his picture on the roster page, totally looks like a hockey player.

Per TDM, Tourcotte, Lindmark, Donovan, Messner, Mersch and Baker seem to be the choices for C. He also said Vorlicky and the Donovan boys did not look out of place at practice.

I'm sure everyone saw the low angle sniper shots of Goal Caufield, reminds me of the kind on shots Emily Clark would score on for the women, a goalie was never safe from any angle.

Comment

On a totally unrelated note, I did watch some of a LAX all star game, I just wasn't captivated by it, doesn't have the pace I'm looking for. Don't hate me LAXer's.

Comment

Per e-mail from UW Athletics, the early-season exhibition vs TBA has been canceled.

Comment

TBA looked good this year

Comment

Working...
                                X