This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    8700 right now for Friday is good? What the ****? If that's OK with you, it speaks volumes.
    To be fair: it’s better than less than 8000, which has been the norm.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      To be fair: it’s better than less than 8000, which has been the norm.
      I'm pretty sure I'll mentally categorize Friday's crowd as "kinda fine...not terrible considering recent history," which was a common category last year.

Looks like they're pushing a ton of tickets into the hands of students, so I know I'll probably be a) happy with the numbers and b) wishing that it didn't get stretched so thin (so about a quarter of the crowd would be surrounded by a well-seasoned, boisterous crowd each year) during the lean years. Hopefully the returning fans (and the band) keep the magic going and don't feel afraid to show some Badgers hockey level energy!

I'm pretty psyched. I'm always pretty psyched for the home games to get going, and this should be a pretty big test for the Badgers. Now if I can just get a hold of one of those t-shirts they're giving the students......

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
        They've been in desperate need of more hype for a long, long time. Remember when they set record low attendances when they had the best team since 2009-10? They need to do this (at a minimum) in order to keep the program from turning into one where its ceiling is below the old baseline, and the new baseline is a fan base about a third of its old size.

The problem is that their play CAN'T do hyping itself. That's just not the nature of college hockey in this country, certainly outside of places like Duluth, St Cloud, Potsdam/Canton, Grand Forks, etc.

To reference 2013-14 again, the Badgers absolutely stormed into the national tournament as one of the top teams in the country. Unless thousands of people somehow knew they'd get upset by UND and decided not to care because of their visions, very, very few people cared. Even when there were some big crowds down the stretch of that season, attention was contained within a pretty well-defined bubble. Outside of people actively seeking it out - and their friends they talked to (or talked at) about Badgers hockey, it didn't register at all. Year after year, new classes of students would come in and not give hockey a shot, and not because they looked at the team and thought about their chances based on what they read on CHN or USCHO. It just didn't register in the first place, because there was zero exposure beyond the people who went way out of their way to seek it out.

If they want to build a fan base, they need people to engage with Badgers hockey. It used to be so hard to find any content at all, and I'm saying that as someone who will go out of my way for it.

Football and basketball can let their play do the hyping. Pick your favorite sports media outlet in this country, and they've got it covered. Reminders that it's fun to be a fan and worthwhile to follow the team aren't as necessary there. They are in hockey. After all, if a team is good, that only builds hype if people actually care about how good the team is. If they don't care, then however much they win or lose doesn't change that, because they won't notice anyway.

They have to make the program noticeable. Without plenty of exposure (and reminders that hockey season does indeed start before January), the only way to get those people outside the bubble to notice (beyond very small numbers) would be a Frozen Four run.

If you ask me, we could use more UW hockey content out there. Sometimes it feels like they're trying to keep this program a secret. It also helps to strengthen the sense that the program actually matters, which I see as a good thing. The football team does just fine with insane overexposure, and I'd argue that the little bit of promotion we're seeing for the home schedule starting is more in the "less underexposure and a little closer to baseline for what we all want UW Hockey to be," rather than anything resembling excessive hype.

Positioning UW Hockey as a worthwhile and notable "thing" (rather than a cutesy fringe "olympic sport") for sports fans is especially important for students and other new general Badgers fans

If it ever gets to "major distraction" levels, then mission accomplished. That would mean the fan base grew by a very large factor for that to be possible. But that would involve a lot of media attention, local radio hits, and a ton of stuff beyond a couple of videos and a few blurbs on some niche sports sites.

VERY TRUE agree in every way. They do take a back seat with the fans
        Just go to any Friday night game the past 5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/ click on faceoff %

Nothing on individual faceoff % there or on the UW Badgers website..... https://uwbadgers.com/cumestats.aspx...key&year=2019&
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/ click on faceoff %

Nothing on individual faceoff % there or on the UW Badgers website..... https://uwbadgers.com/cumestats.aspx...key&year=2019&
            Don't ask why I decided to take this on tonight... but here you go.

UW Hockey - Team and Individual Faceoff percentages

I went through the game-by-game stats for the Badgers and pulled those numbers to create this spreadsheet which calculates the player and team faceoff percentages.

Also, the UW (and CHN) stats are off by one on each game. I have no idea why they are, but if you add up the faceoffs they're off by 1 for the number won and lost. I went over my sheet over and over to see if I was getting the numbers right, but their math is wrong (which is great when you're a university....)
            Last edited by gwhinwi; 10-18-2019, 12:37 AM.
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              Had to dig a bit for that one...48.8%, good for 32nd
              Not dead last, quite an improvement.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                I am one of those that has reached out and Jason has been very decent to deal with. But it took years for anything to happen positive that I mentioned and the two biggest in lowering concession prices / offering deals and lower cost tickets just seems to be off their radar. So I just buy a ridiculously priced soda or water and refill in the bubbler.
                Jason has been great to deal with. The UW ticket office and the UW band/music department have not been good to deal with.

I am totally on board with the concession costs. They seem to be offering more ticket/food voucher deals, which is nice. But yeah, how about a bottle of plain h2o for 2 bucks?

We are camping this weekend and have no cable. . We'll try and figure out how to get the games onto a laptop, but I am also dvr'ing them and I do enjoy the using the old radio to listen.

I just hope for everyone's sanity this weekend the play hard, play SMART sound positional hockey and let the chips fall where they may after that.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

I went through the game-by-game stats for the Badgers and pulled those numbers to create this spreadsheet which calculates the player and team faceoff percentages.

Also, the UW (and CHN) stats are off by one on each game. I have no idea why they are, but if you add up the faceoffs they're off by 1 for the number won and lost. I went over my sheet over and over to see if I was getting the numbers right, but their math is wrong (which is great when you're a university....)
                  I requested access to the file. Thanks for doing it gwhinwi!
                  gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    All the hype in the world will never fill the Cole Center. Hockey's golden age in Madison is over. We must accept our fate.
                    The team just has to win and the Kohl will be pretty full. The team has been overall crap for the last 5 years. Getting over 10,000-11,000 for a college hockey game, for a team that has been very disappointing for the past five years... is pretty good. If they can consistently win after this, then more fans will come.

This whole thing about the fans being gone forever and they're never coming back will be proved wrong if the badgers win. Fans just don't want to park and pay to watch a crappy team. If the Badgers win the fans will come.
                    Last edited by druzy192; 10-18-2019, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

Wow, awesome! I also requested access. My real name may not be DPlaya....

Comment

I have opened up the spreadsheet for universal access. Being up until 5:30 didn't help my mental state.

I am curious about the phantom faceoffs on the UW stats though, since it happened for both nights of last weekends games. Odd.

Comment

Just an FYI. I found the Face Off totals on College Hockey Inc's state page.

College Hockey Inc Stats

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                            I have opened up the spreadsheet for universal access. Being up until 5:30 didn't help my mental state.

I am curious about the phantom faceoffs on the UW stats though, since it happened for both nights of last weekends games. Odd.
                            Nice! I thought about going through and doing this in February or so last year, but it seemed way to boring a task to do all at once. Be interesting to see how guys do over time, and also how they do when lines change.

One note: Column C is total face offs rather than losses.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Nice! I thought about going through and doing this in February or so last year, but it seemed way to boring a task to do all at once. Be interesting to see how guys do over time, and also how they do when lines change.

One note: Column C is total face offs rather than losses.
                              We'll see how long I want to stick with it. haha.

I have corrected Column C. Thank you for that.

Comment

It's a Great Day for Hockey!

It's really an interesting matchup on paper tonight. Not only is it a youthful team vs. a more experienced (and Big Game experienced) team, but it's two sharply contrasting styles of play. UMD will look to establish a hard forecheck and play physical, tough, and tight in their own end, while the Badgers are going to look to use their strong skating to push the pace and get to the net in a hurry. It seems like the big sheet might work to the Badgers advantage as long as they keep their feet moving and win puck races. Do that and they have a chance to knock off the defending Champs.

Win or lose I'm really just looking for a solid performance on a Friday night. Have had a real problem either being so tightly wound that they can't make plays, or trying to dial it back to compensate, resulting in too much watching the play. Just gotta believe in themselves, have fun, and go out and play the game the way they are capable of.

Let's go RED!!!
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X