This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    This would never happen at an open Q and A at a luncheon but I would love to sit down with the 3 coaches, and maybe 5 or 6 of us, unplugged and off the record, to ask ANY questions without getting our shirts pulled over our heads and beat the **** up.
    I would ask straight away “Wisconsin hockey has been mediocre for 25 years. In that time Denver, Minnesota, BC, UMD And Nodak have won multiple titles. With 3 consecutive seasons out of the playoffs, a .500 record today with a highly touted freshman group that may very well leave after one year, what would indicate to the fan base that the program is moving back in a direction where they are a year in and year out threat like from 73-1994?

EDIT: they missed the playoffs in each of Eaves’ last 2 seasons (maybe more?), so they haven’t been in the tourney in at least 5 years.
    Last edited by solovsfett; 11-11-2019, 12:42 PM.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      The puppies need time to learn to climb the mountain🤣

Why do you make fun of Bob Johnson quotes like that?
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        I would ask straight away “Wisconsin hockey has been mediocre for 25 years. In that time Denver, Minnesota, BC, UMD And Nodak have won multiple titles. With 3 consecutive seasons out of the playoffs, a .500 record today with a highly touted freshman group that may very well leave after one year, what would indicate to the fan base that the program is moving back in a direction where they are a year in and year out threat like from 73-1994?
        That's a great question. Paging Todd M......
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          5-5 a third thru the season. 2-4 since sweeping UMD. Mediocre isn't going to cut it this year.

Right now I say golden domer's sweep us this weekend.

Time to wake up and get it together......

The minimum baseline to make the tournament is probably .500 in conference and beating ASU at home in late February. That likely puts them in barring strange results elsewhere.

I think the Badgers will be good at home and hard to beat on the big sheet all year.

ND should be ranked 2 or 1 this week. Cornell hasn't played anyone, although they play the Clarkies this weekend. (I'd bet on Clarkson. ) Same for Minn St. DU just tied and lost to UMD at home. The polls are dumb.

We've played all or most of 7 or 8 games without 1 or more of Holloway, Turcotte, Achan, Inamoto,and Vorlicky. That's hockey sometimes, but with 8 to go until the break, it would be nice to play them all with all hands on deck.

Caufield had 21 shot attempts last weekend with no goals. I wonder if that's happened to him since pee wees?

Turcotte displayed why he's a top five pick with a ton of slick plays in the offensive zone last weekend. Unfortunately the boys didn't finish, but he looked very, very good. Except for the 4th Mav goal, which was all on him. (he took credit) He was lost deep in the D zone and his guy just coasted into the slot all alone for the easy goal. At least the F's were deep on the back check though. A month ago they would have all been at the blue line or in the NZ waiting for the D to make a play for them and get them the puck. Baby steps?
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Why do you make fun of Bob Johnson quotes like that?
            🤣🤣
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Yes the coaches can't play for the players, but they recruit them, they hand pick the guys they want and train them to play how they want them to play. Teams take on the personalities of their coaches. TG is a emotional, fiery guy. How many head coaches have that as their main characteristic?

I just think all the hype dis-serves the players by putting too much pressure on them. It does not help one bit.

Lately I've had this crazy thought...…..I miss Mike Eaves...…..I said it was crazy.
              It's funny, Eaves was a pretty cerebral guy, he could talk to you for 8 hours about philosophy and then another 8 about the different aspects of zone entry, for example. But at game time he was often a much more heart on his sleeve kind of guy. As you say, Tony is a very passionate and emotional kind of guy, but at game time he seems pretty reserved most of the time. I think we thought Tony's fire would translate more to the ice in his players. Maybe Tony feels though that these young players need to control their emotions and play a certain way until they have the systems down cold and can play them without thinking. That's probably not wrong.

Mike and Bethie are tremendous people and I hope that the fans and the school welcome them back and recognize all their efforts in an appropriate fashion someday. As hard as the program's demise was on the fans and people surrounding the program, I'm very certain it was 1000 times harder on Mike. Just crushing.

I think the hype causes the fans to be super critical when they aren't 9-1 to start. That's natural. I don't know how it affects the players as I'm not too sure they really understand how big bringing a winning program back to UW would be. What it means. Messner might be the only roster kid that really has an inkling of what it would mean as he's Skille's cousin. Nobody who was a fan in '06 will forget Jack Skille scoring vs Cornell for as long as they live. Winning here means immortality and I don't think 18 year olds can grasp that very well. I think we as fans manufacture and feel the pressure to win more than the boys on the team feel it most of the time. They just want to win.
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I’ll watch but it’s hard to really want to analyze a team making such frustrating mistakes to squander amazing potential.

On aggregate, we are not much better off now than we were under the last four years of Eaves. And aside from a good goalie recruit in the pipeline, I don’t see much reason to expect any better anytime soon.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

History lesson.....The original Big Ten Hockey AND WCHA. Very interesting.

https://***********/jackeichsays/sta...240709632?s=19

Also click on the Wikipedia link on the reply. Very cool checking the roster and player stats. That 72-73 team was almost ALL Canadians and Minnesotans.

Interestingly, Denver's appearance in the tourney was vacated due to NCAA infractions.
                  Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-11-2019, 11:04 PM.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                    Updates after the Penn State series (L 1-6, L 2-4)

Record: 4-4-0
                    USCHO Poll: 12
                    USA Today Poll: 12
                    PWR: 20
                    RPI: 20
                    KRACH: not available
                    Scoring: 3.75 GPG; 12th
                    Defense: 3.75 GAPG; 51st
                    Power Play Goals: 8; 2nd
                    Power Play Rate: 22.22% (8 of 36); 19th
                    Penalty Kill Rate: 78.12% (25 of 32), 43rd
                    Penalty Min per Game: 13.75; 14th (1st is worst)
                    Shorthanded Goals Scored; 3; 1st
                    Shorthanded Goals Allowed: 0; 1st
                    Team Faceoff: 49.1%; 29th
                    Updates after the UNO series (W 5-2, L 2-5)

Record: 5-5-0
                    USCHO Poll: 15
                    USA Today Poll: 15
                    PWR: 17
                    RPI: 18
                    Scoring: 3.70 GPG; 10th
                    Defense: 3.70 GAPG; 50th
                    Power Play Goals: 9; 1st
                    Power Play Rate: 19.15% (9 of 47); 22nd
                    Penalty Kill Rate: 80.49% (33 of 41), 37th
                    Penalty Min per Game: 14.90; 7th (1st is worst)
                    Team Faceoff: 50.0%; 29th

Comment

We're teetering on the brink. LOTS of work to do boys, ESPECIALLY ON DEFENSE.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Power Play Goals: 9; 1st
                        PP not good, PK not good. Faceoffs OK, but can for sure be better. It's SO hard to stay off the thinner.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Power Play Opportunities; 47; 1st
                          Power Play Goals: 9; 10th
                          Whoops, misread one of the stats.
                          PP info has been updated
                          When you go to the USCHO stats page and scroll to the Power Play section, if you click on the PPG/PPO column to sort they don't do numbers right. They treat 9 as the highest number, then down through 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and then things get interesting. Then you get to 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 1, and then 0. Ugh, I hate sloppy programming...

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            PP not good, PK not good. Faceoffs OK, but can for sure be better. It's SO hard to stay off the thinner.
                            Defense is terrible - bottom 10 again. Unacceptable, as are many of the other stats.
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I see everybody complaining about the defense in comments here and elsewhere, which is completely understandable, but I don't really think that's the main problem for this team.

Last 4 losses they've scored 5 goals total. (0-1-2-2) The title of this thread is pretty accurate. This is a team that needs to score goals to win games.

The way they are trying to play isn't all that conducive to chasing games for 45 minutes. Jumping D up in the play, floating forwards high and generally taking chances to catch up is a way you give up a bunch of high quality SOG. They need to possess the puck, score goals, put the other guys on their heels, and have the other guys chasing the games. They aren't scoring 5x5 enough and they definitely aren't scoring on the PP enough. They other guys take a penalty and they get down. We have to kick them. Instead we've been letting them take the momentum away from us with PK's.

I don't know why they weren't scoring more in those losses, they generated a million chances. Putting the puck in the net changes the game in your favor, and they aren't finishing and playing these games with a lead. Put the puck in the net and the GA will go down for us too, I think.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

C'mon Wisko. You're better than that; we're ****ing 50th in defense! At least we're 10th in scoring.

Maybe the past couple of weekends haven't produced many goals, but bad defense has been a problem ALL year, last year, and beyond. C'mon man.

Comment

Working...
                                X