Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Sad Panda

Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

Lebby gives up massive rebounds quite often.

There are a ton of problems with this team. No idea how they are going to sort it out quickly, because you have to have a TEAM at some point and right now you have a group of individuals making a lot of mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalbooya View Post
    I don't really know how to respond to this... Scoring touch is not player-based, it's situation based.
    Seriously? Situation based? Well then Wisconsin is REALLY terrible. They had several situations where they could score and even the talented kids couldnít.

Of course scoring touch is based on talent. Thatís what separates Caufield from the entire team and USNTDP.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Turcotte and Caufield won't be here three years. Caufield will be gone after one. I think it's this year or bust. And I'm not seeing it...... Can't expect 5 goals every game. They have to play defense...... And the wheels have come off. 1-6
    When are they going to sit Kalynuk. Our captain is the worst defensive player on the ice every single night.

Turcotte and Caufield won't be here three years. Caufield will be gone after one. I think it's this year or bust. And I'm not seeing it...... Can't expect 5 goals every game. They have to play defense...... And the wheels have come off. 1-6
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Seriously? Situation based? Well then Wisconsin is REALLY terrible. They had several situations where they could score and even the talented kids couldnít.

Of course scoring touch is based on talent. Thatís what separates Caufield from the entire team and USNTDP.
    Hence, if they had any scoring touch tonight... Congratulations, you figured it out. Good job champ.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalbooya View Post
    Hence, if they had any scoring touch tonight... Congratulations, you figured it out. Good job champ.
    No. It doesnít magically happen like you imply. You have it (Caufield) or you donít. And Caufield potted one so you canít pin the loss there. The REST of the team needs to step up.

They'll probably play better tomorrow. Sound familiar? Stuff gets old.

Yup. I watched periods 2 and 3. Some guys with low hockey IQís , some guys coasting, numerous bad passes/decisions with the puck, I mean, whereís the spark to ignite hope for a title run?

Imagine where this team is without Caufield. I say that to illustrate how the players (soph through senior) have not grown from year 1.

No. It doesnít magically happen like you imply. You have it (Caufield) or you donít. And Caufield potted one so you canít pin the loss there. The REST of the team needs to step up.
    I don't understand why this is so hard. If they buried their chances (had scoring touch), this would have been a much closer game. Caufield, Turcotte, Pelton-Byce, and Holloway are not the only players to get scoring chances.

Let's go RED!

Yup. I watched periods 2 and 3.
    UW had some great chances in the first, too bad you didn't get to see them. . Achan had an open net that a PSU stick got in front of.

I'm not sure on the second goal (the shot from the point) if the Hammer was screened or not. Otherwise he was big. Vorlicky's first shift was terrible, gave up 2 breakaways that the Hammer took care of. It's too bad they got a couple on the major, the Hammer didn't deserve that 6 spot the way he played. The PP needed to come up bigger, a PPG in the 2nd could have made a big difference.

UW never really established a forecheck, most of the chances were on the rush or the PP.

Achan is a nice 4 year player, but keep him on the 3rd line and tell him to just play and play smart. You can't take a 5 with 5 to go down 3. At that point there was still hope. He killed his own team there.

They missed Holloway a lot. I was disappointed in Baker and Byce, they did not do much offensively; Lindmark had a chance or 2.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Let's go RED!

And they are young, don't forget that one.

We all miss Donnie Granato.

At some point does TG change the whole offensive system to a more conservative systematic one vs this race horse high octane system? I get that the race horse system SOUNDS more exciting than a more conservative system, but if they can win more being more conservative, that would make fans happy. It's not about style points, it's about wins. No one like a **** loss, everyone likes a gritty win. For all the crazy talent MJ has had over the years, he has always run a conservative D first system. Winning is fun.

Oz was on with Brian Posick after the game and confirmed they didn't play good. He said they had just a handful of quality chances in the second half the game. He was very disappointed and frank about it.

So you guys can believe what you want.

Sad Panda

Faceoff spreadsheet is updated.

It was a rough night on the stat sheet tonight. 32 wins in 81 faceoffs.

Drunkard

Wonder what it is about Tonyís teams that makes them play so terribly on opening games.

Let's go RED!

Achan is out for today's game. I wonder if Holloway made the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Wonder what it is about Tonyís teams that makes them play so terribly on opening games.
    Lack of experience from key players. We have one skater on the entire team that is a senior. Need players that will be four year scorers like Zengerle/Mersch. We might have some in Dhooghe and Achan and (hopefully) Lindmark. I feel like Baker has regressed and might be more effective in a bottom 6 role.

I do think the poor Friday play will improve later in the season.

Teaching you how to Bucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Achan is out for today's game. I wonder if Holloway made the trip?

Holloway skated practice Wednesday and was in the morning skate yesterday at Hockey Valley, but did not suit up last night so he must be day to day. Probably better to be cautious at this point in the season, but we'll see.

Don't even like Achan getting the 5 after reviewing it today. He got it for interference, or rather, "interference with significant contact" which is the major. Rule book says that's for contact against an "unsuspecting and vulnerable player." Smirnov certainly isn't "unsuspecting", he lowers his shoulder and puts his arm out to absorb contact. I guess "vulnerable" is what they call it when you get run over. Hate seeing Smirnov get hurt, if he is, but I don't see how the rules themselves support the call, let alone getting DQ'd.

Unless I'm missing the "we just don't like your attitude" DQ rule in the book, I don't get why they toss him today.
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators

Many things from last year have yet to be corrected this young season. Faceoffs, power play, defense (the next drop pass I see, I might drop.), I'm still looking for solid, CONSISTENT goaltending although I have backed off of that a bit because of the defense, stupid penalties. Anything else?

Is there blame to be aimed at anybody? I believe there is.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-01-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Is there blame to be aimed at anybody?

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Holloway back thankfully! But Achan (and Smirnov for PSU) are gone, of course.

Holloway Bakes Dhooghe

Linus Turc Goal

Caufield TPB Lindy

Gorniak Messner Zimm Donovan Mersch (scratch one)
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Time to steal some points boys. A W is the best revenge.

Let's Go Red!!!
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Thread Information