This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2019-2020: Time to Get Offensive

I would say 25 years of mediocre hockey will jade anyone who witnessed the glory years.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
      It amazes me to see some of you going to the most negative take you can possibility come up with time after time. You know who you are. Give it a rest. These are kids, not Pro's. It's impossible to draw very many conclusions after 2 games except that the Badgers are gifted with offensive talent. Talk to me in January. If we can get 20 wins the NCAA's are possible. Schedule is tough, we did not play well in our own end this weekend. In the past you were begging for goals.
      Some people choose to focus on the things that need to improve. Others look at what was done well. If you view that as being negative vs being positive that's on you. It's just the way people are one way or another. I'll admit, it drives me up a wall when a non-freshman makes a mistake. Like Miller did on one of the goals where he braced for contact about 3 feet away from the puck, the forward flew around him, passed it down low to another forward who immediately passed it out front for a goal against. Merrimack doesn't get any chance if Miller just does the most basic thing: play the puck.

Comment

Don't worry this upcoming you'll get a real test.

Looking forward to going to Madison and seeing all the young talent on your roster. Plus all the short players!

Plus we'll be hitting some good local establishments for some fun.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          I think Holloway took all but one draw for that line on the night. He went 9-4. Bakes just did not have a good weekend I didn't think. I don't know what it was but he just didn't seem himself at all. I was critical of his play Friday, and I don't think he played particularly well most of Saturday. Maybe he's battling something, or maybe he is out of place, but I agree that we can't get that kind of play from a top line. Be interesting to see if there's a shake up for next week.

Zimmer is apparently ill, but when he's healthy, he'll likely have a chance in the line up somewhere. I thought Messner was really good this weekend and so was Lindy. Moving either of them up might slow them down on the pk though, and right now the pk looks great. What to do...
          Maybe throw Zimmer with Dhooghie and Holloway and put Baker as 3rd line wing. Or 4th. Zimmer has got alot of talent and if he's put with players that can actually make plays and finish then i think he'll make a big impact. Baker is a solid worker and assistant captain but he's not a second liner on this team.

Defenseman need to get their heads out of their *!@, get their heads on a swivel, pick up the open guy, and not get fancy in front of their own net. Simple as that. That's coaching basics. And its fixable. If they can just do that then I think were a playoff team. Team's got potential. All the bad stuff is fixable. We don't have a talent problem anymore. That's a good thing.
          Last edited by druzy192; 10-13-2019, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
            It amazes me to see some of you going to the most negative take you can possibility come up with time after time. You know who you are. Give it a rest. These are kids, not Pro's. It's impossible to draw very many conclusions after 2 games except that the Badgers are gifted with offensive talent. Talk to me in January. If we can get 20 wins the NCAA's are possible. Schedule is tough, we did not play well in our own end this weekend. In the past you were begging for goals.
            Usually I'm not a negative guy. There is no reason why they can't be responsible in their own D zone and yet have an exciting offense. The coachable things need to improve. Over TG's reign that has not happened with the regularity that one would want to see. It needs to start.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Usually I'm not a negative guy. There is no reason why they can't be responsible in their own D zone and yet have an exciting offense. The coachable things need to improve. Over TG's reign that has not happened with the regularity that one would want to see. It needs to start.
              I was pulling for something like this before the season started and am on record saying Baker should be a 3rd or 4th line wing....

Pelton-Byce-Turcotte-S. Dhooghe
              Weissbach-Holloway-C. Caufield
              Gorniak-Lindmark-Baker
              Ahcan-Mersch-Donovan
              B. Caufield

Put Caufield with the best distributor on the team, and get your top faceoff guys at center. I think Lindmark is a PK stud so leave him at 3rd line center.

Rotate amongst the bottom 6 as needed for defensive play. If that doesn't work they are going to have to start mixing the grit guys into the upper lines.

Comment

I've got tickets for Friday and Saturday. I basically have no knowledge of Madison. Is there bad congestion around Kohl Center? I'm staying at roughly Beltline and Hwy 14, so too far to walk. What should I do about parking? I don't mind a little walk to avoid congestion and/or cheaper parking.
                Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
                bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
                  I've got tickets for Friday and Saturday. I basically have no knowledge of Madison. Is there bad congestion around Kohl Center? I'm staying at roughly Beltline and Hwy 14, so too far to walk. What should I do about parking? I don't mind a little walk to avoid congestion and/or cheaper parking.
                  Get Uber or a cab for $10 max.

Comment

Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
                    Highway 14 is part of the "beltline" between its intersection with Park Street (going straight south from the Kohl Center area) and University Ave (in Middleton), so that could be a range of areas.

Either way, you're on the preferred side of the isthmus-related chokepoints/bottlenecking for getting to the Kohl Center. If you're driving in the 5:00 hour, you might get a bit of rush hour traffic on Friday, but you'll be going in the lighter direction, so it's not particularly bad. (I say that with more confidence if you're coming from the far west side rather than the south since I have more experience with those particular patterns.) During the tail end of rush hour, you will encounter some slowdowns in the immediate campus area, particularly if you're moving east or west along University, Johnson, or Regent. If you're driving up Park St during that time, you'll get some noticeable traffic, but it's generally moderate.

You can find free parking on campus lots that a) are free to park in during after-hours and b) aren't for paid event parking. Somewhere on the UW website you can find a map of parking lots that shows which ones are permit-controlled at all times and which ones are only controlled M-F, 7-4:30 (something like that). Some lots become paid event parking, but if you drive a bit farther from the arena, there are a bunch of lots within a short walk that are free. Also, there's a fair amount of street parking (free) if you can find it. It's easier to find it south of Regent St; most curbs are full most of the time in those blocks north of Regent St and south of Spring St. (North of that, and street parking is out of the question until you get up around Langdon and State Streets, which I wouldn't recommend.) The neighborhoods south of Regent St are probably more accessible from the outside, and you'll get out of the worse traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
                      I would park at the city ramps for $8. Just go down Park Street and park at the Lake and Johnson ramp https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...=en&authuser=0

There won't be heavy congestion around the Kohl Center unless you try to park right before game time.

You can try and find 2 hour street parking near park / regent street and Meriter Hospital (free after 5 pm)

Also UW lot 45 was free last year and is about a 10 minute walk. https://www.google.com/maps/place/UW...=en&authuser=0
                      Last edited by WiscTJK; 10-15-2019, 07:16 AM.
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Does anyone know of a stat website that tracks "Penalties Drawn" by individual players? I guess the stat could be like +/- for goals, Penalties Drawn (+) / Penalties Against (-). With a health PP, I think there is value in knowing which players create the most PP opportunities.

For example, Jack Gorniak was -2 in terms of Goal +/- against Merrimack, but he did draw two penalties in the 1st period that resulted in two goals.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                          I would park at the city ramps for $8. Just go down Park Street and park at the Lake and Johnson ramp https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...=en&authuser=0

There won't be heavy congestion around the Kohl Center unless you try to park right before game time.

You can try and find 2 hour street parking near park / regent street and Meriter Hospital (free after 5 pm)

Also UW lot 45 was free last year and is about a 10 minute walk. https://www.google.com/maps/place/UW...=en&authuser=0
                          Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                          Highway 14 is part of the "beltline" between its intersection with Park Street (going straight south from the Kohl Center area) and University Ave (in Middleton), so that could be a range of areas.

Either way, you're on the preferred side of the isthmus-related chokepoints/bottlenecking for getting to the Kohl Center. If you're driving in the 5:00 hour, you might get a bit of rush hour traffic on Friday, but you'll be going in the lighter direction, so it's not particularly bad. (I say that with more confidence if you're coming from the far west side rather than the south since I have more experience with those particular patterns.) During the tail end of rush hour, you will encounter some slowdowns in the immediate campus area, particularly if you're moving east or west along University, Johnson, or Regent. If you're driving up Park St during that time, you'll get some noticeable traffic, but it's generally moderate.

You can find free parking on campus lots that a) are free to park in during after-hours and b) aren't for paid event parking. Somewhere on the UW website you can find a map of parking lots that shows which ones are permit-controlled at all times and which ones are only controlled M-F, 7-4:30 (something like that). Some lots become paid event parking, but if you drive a bit farther from the arena, there are a bunch of lots within a short walk that are free. Also, there's a fair amount of street parking (free) if you can find it. It's easier to find it south of Regent St; most curbs are full most of the time in those blocks north of Regent St and south of Spring St. (North of that, and street parking is out of the question until you get up around Langdon and State Streets, which I wouldn't recommend.) The neighborhoods south of Regent St are probably more accessible from the outside, and you'll get out of the worse traffic.
                          Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                          Get Uber or a cab for $10 max.
                          Thank you all!
                          Dirty: Why {shouldn't Grand Valley State} not just go the Miami way to fund DI? Rob banks and sell drugs.
                          bigmrg74: GVSU has some speed, but not that kind of speed.

Comment

I am very much HOPING for much better defense AND goaltending this weekend. Let's see some improvement from the past 3 years. This is probably the toughest test for the entire season.

The puppies are well balanced (age wise) with 13/23 being freshmen and sophomores; they aren't rebuilding boys, they're reloading.

**** 'EM, BUCKY! Let's see watcha got.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

No worries Richie --> They got their goalie out of Tier 2 Juniors.

He's gotta be a great big sieve!
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                No worries Richie --> They got their goalie out of Tier 2 Juniors.

He's gotta be a great big sieve!
                                Great minds think alike. 🤣
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X