Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 1002

Thread: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

  1. #801
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,685

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Right, except I didn't do that and your reading comprehension needs work.

  2. #802
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,484

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Right, except I didn't do that and your reading comprehension needs work.
    What part of raising taxes on the middle class is a political loser are you not understanding? Any money you plan on raising from them would be better gotten by shifting an even higher burden onto the super rich. That's what people want, not tax hikes on the 50K and up crowd. You're asking people to give you a 100 bucks today in exchange for 120 bucks next year, while at the same time having the Republicans not exploit the middle class' economic fears or if they do don't worry because the media will tell the truth about GOP lies. Good luck with all that.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  3. #803
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,685

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    What do you not understand about the average person coming out ahead under M4A? If people no longer have to pay premiums and no longer have a deductible, no longer have the threat of medical bankruptcy, no copays, drug costs go down drastically, and your healthcare isn't tied to your job, even if middle class taxes went up slightly the average person would come out ahead. This isn't even remotely difficult to comprehend.

  4. #804

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    I'm here for me not you.
    Posts
    68,053

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    He and his friends can't make money off it. He's not interested.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  5. #805
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,685

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    He and his friends can't make money off it. He's not interested.
    I mean I think we all know that's the answer but it becomes more obvious when he belittles anyone who makes under 100k as if that's anywhere near what the average worker makes in this country.

  6. #806

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    I'm here for me not you.
    Posts
    68,053

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I mean I think we all know that's the answer but it becomes more obvious when he belittles anyone who makes under 100k as if that's anywhere near what the average worker makes in this country.
    Yep. $100k was the 70th percentile for American households for 2017 incomes.

    According to this,

    The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported a median personal income of $865 weekly for all full-time workers in 2017. The U.S Bureau of the Census has the annual median personal income at $31,099 in 2016.
    Source.

    Not everybody lives in DC, NYC, or San Francisco. Most people are hurting. Real inflation-adjusted personal income has stagnated in the United States since we began to pull back from the New Deal / Great Society in the 1970s. Meanwhile productivity, profits, and the income and wealth of the 1% have gone through the roof.

    The rich have stolen tens of trillions of dollars from the middle class, and unless we peacefully repatriate that money to the people who earned it, history shows it will happen eventually through bloodshed.
    Last edited by Kepler; 08-21-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  7. #807
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,484

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    What do you not understand about the average person coming out ahead under M4A? If people no longer have to pay premiums and no longer have a deductible, no longer have the threat of medical bankruptcy, no copays, drug costs go down drastically, and your healthcare isn't tied to your job, even if middle class taxes went up slightly the average person would come out ahead. This isn't even remotely difficult to comprehend.
    Because people don't live in your Bernie world. There's no reason to tax the middle class for M4A when you can get the same $$$ from the rich instead. Astounding that you're too dumb to figure this out. DO NOT RAISE TAXES ON THE MIDDLE CLASS OR THEY WILL VOTE GOP! Few people give a flying fuk about your pie in the sky ideal world. Do all of the things you'd like, but get the revenue from the rich, not the little guy. Get it?
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  8. #808
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,625

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    The days of the Alexandria Yacht Club running the DNC may be about over.
    There have been a lot of predictions/prognostications thrown about over the years here in Cafe, but I personally think this one is the least likely to occur.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  9. #809

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    I'm here for me not you.
    Posts
    68,053

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    There's no reason to tax the middle class for M4A when you can get the same $$$ from the rich instead. Astounding that you're too dumb to figure this out. DO NOT RAISE TAXES ON THE MIDDLE CLASS OR THEY WILL VOTE GOP!
    This is a conflation of two completely different things.

    M4A is a program.

    How you pay for it is a separate mechanism.

    Personally, I would cut taxes on all wage intervals across the board until you hit $1M, then go to 50%, 70% above $10M and 90% above $100M.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  10. #810

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    I'm here for me not you.
    Posts
    68,053

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    There have been a lot of predictions/prognostications thrown about over the years here in Cafe, but I personally think this one is the least likely to occur.
    But, to be fair, you need it not to come true. Because if it does then one of your favorite excuses for continuing to vote for the Nazis -- that both parties are co-opted -- goes away.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  11. #811
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,685

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Not everybody lives in DC, NYC, or San Francisco.
    Even if you live in those places, 100k is like the minimum needed to live there comfortably.

  12. #812

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    I'm here for me not you.
    Posts
    68,053

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Even if you live in those places, 100k is like the minimum needed to live there comfortably.
    My point. And $100k won't do it. You need both partners making about $100k to live in DC. In NYC it's more. In SF I shudder to think.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  13. #813

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    I'm here for me not you.
    Posts
    68,053

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    John Delaney, "centrist."

    (The Lieberman comparison in the Comments is dead on.)
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  14. #814
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,685

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Because people don't live in your Bernie world. There's no reason to tax the middle class for M4A when you can get the same $$$ from the rich instead. Astounding that you're too dumb to figure this out. DO NOT RAISE TAXES ON THE MIDDLE CLASS OR THEY WILL VOTE GOP! Few people give a flying fuk about your pie in the sky ideal world. Do all of the things you'd like, but get the revenue from the rich, not the little guy. Get it?
    People will have more money in their pockets in the end under this proposal even if THE MIDDLE CLASS pays slightly more in taxes lmfao. Your inability to comprehend this doesn't mean other people are dumb. Christ even the Koch Brothers' study figured this out like 6(?) months ago.

  15. #815

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    I'm here for me not you.
    Posts
    68,053

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Your inability to comprehend this doesn't mean other people are dumb.
    With the proviso that you know I am on your side, people are that dumb. There's a reason people voted for Ronald Reagan. There's a reason why the GOP didn't lose every single elected official in the nation after each of the three heists. Many people are f-cking stupid.

    If we design a system where people pay $1 extra in tax and realize $1M savings on their health care bills, the GOP will scream about raised taxes and we will lose. Rover is correct about that part. The lesson of the GOP's spectacular rape of the middle class is that optics is more important to lofo voters than substance. When we correct the policy we are still going to have to deliver good optics and that means we cut everybody below $1M by a pittance to claim we do it, and then we soak the f-cking fascist Plutes above it until we claw back every penny they've stolen, with interest.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  16. #816
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,625

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    But, to be fair, you need it not to come true. Because if it does then one of your favorite excuses for continuing to vote for the Nazis -- that both parties are co-opted -- goes away.
    I don't need any of your predictions to come true or not come true. I just personally enjoy every chance I get to rub your face in the malarkey spewed by the left, and swallowed whole by certain segments of our society, that your party is the party of the people, of the little guy. It's a party of the one percenters, just like the other party. Only the names of the individuals are different.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  17. #817
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,685

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    If we design a system where people pay $1 extra in tax and realize $1M savings on their health care bills,
    I guess we'll see about this, I don't think people are particularly happy about their healthcare costs constantly rising and it's been one of the more popular issues among democrats (and Republicans railed on it all the time as well). I believe even the Kaiser study showed more people being amenable to some type of universal healthcare as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    It's a party of the one percenters, just like the other party. Only the names of the individuals are different.
    This is what we need to change admittedly, though that's not really the fault of the left.

  18. #818
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,603
    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Even if you live in those places, 100k is like the minimum needed to live there comfortably.
    100k won’t buy comfortable living in those places

  19. #819
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,253

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Why mookie’s tax plan is zero for the first 200k of income (everyone of course still pays their fica ‘payroll’ )

    $200k is middle-middle class wages

  20. #820

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    I'm here for me not you.
    Posts
    68,053

    Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I don't need any of your predictions to come true or not come true. I just personally enjoy every chance I get to rub your face in the malarkey spewed by the left, and swallowed whole by certain segments of our society, that your party is the party of the people, of the little guy. It's a party of the one percenters, just like the other party. Only the names of the individuals are different.
    With us it's a bug.

    With you it's the mission statement.

    Don't bother to respond; I understand what you have to tell yourself to sleep at night.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •