X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

Continue

Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers IV: Culling the Herd

Subscribed. Kepler is the resident pollster but I think it would be interesting to do a recurring primary poll.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I just love that I can step away for a day and everyone picks up the slack ripping trix for me

And Kepler, no you arent a Bernie Bro if for no other reason that Bernie is Right Winged compared to you
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

But his bills!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          You know you're really a Bernie Bro when you decry Andrew Yang's take on UBI as a "sh*tty libertarian verison" (C) trix.
          Just to be more specific, his plan is really bad because it'd effectively just make everything cost more with the VAT he's proposing to pay for it.

So if you get $1,200 a month in disability, Andrew Yang would not give you your UBI. Now, you might think “Well, but they can stick with their current benefits. They wouldn’t be worse off.” But no! They would be worse off, because Andrew Yang plans to fund his UBI with a giant Value Added Tax (VAT). From his website:

Andrew proposes funding UBI by consolidating some welfare programs and implementing a Value-Added Tax (VAT) of 10%. Current welfare and social program beneficiaries would be given a choice between their current benefits or $1,000 cash unconditionally – most would prefer cash with no restriction. A Value-Added Tax (VAT) is a tax on the production of goods or services a business produces.
          What does this mean in practice? It means that if you’re on disability, the only change you see under a Yang administration is that everything you buy now has a 10% tax added to it. Assuming you spend all of your benefit each month, it means that you’ll be functionally ending up with over $1,000 less per year. And as my friend Benjamin Studebaker points out in his critique of Yang’s plan, this makes the tax highly “regressive.” Because it’s a tax on spending, and poor people spend a greater percentage of their income than rich people spend, poor people have to pay a higher percentage of their income to fund the UBI than rich people have to pay.
          So some of the most vulnerable in society just see their lives get harder under this approach to UBI and it kinda flies in the face of his "human centered capitalism" motto.

That's from Nathan J Robinson's piece which goes into more detail on Yang.
          Last edited by trixR4kids; 07-07-2019, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Winning line - instead of putting Congre$$ on the Vets health plan, as many have called for; put the Vets on Congre$$'s health plan.

And make it free for a retired/disabled vet with a sliding scale at 5% discount for every year you served on active duty (1/2 of that for reserves).
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Subscribed. Kepler is the resident pollster but I think it would be interesting to do a recurring primary poll.
              Wait. I am? Sh-t.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                And Kepler, no you arent a Bernie Bro if for no other reason that Bernie is Right Winged compared to you
                Well I'm glad somebody else recognizes the inherent reactionary conservatism of Sanders' positions. There is only one prosperous future:

Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids
                  The only ones you could reasonably argue are pulling the party left are Bernie and Warren and it’s unclear whether Warren even still supports some of the policies that would have her to the left of the party (specifically m4a). The others aren’t better than Hillary in any notable way imo.

As for the other candidates being no better than Hillary in any notable way, plenty of them are because plenty of them would have succeeded in the one area she was a miserable failure at, being able to beat the single worst candidate ever ever nominated for president by a major party.

I may want the candidate who most aligns with my views to win, but in 2020 I am willing to compromise and be all in for whoever wins because we cannot afford another 4 years of this 5h!t. One or two of the current crop are better than the other 20+, but in my view that is almost meaningless. If you support any of the democrats running today and you sit out the election in November 2020 or vote for some 3rd party hack, my feelings are you are every bit as much of the problem as any fvcking nitwit out there who votes (or voted) for trump and you should rot in Hell along with them.

America is becoming a fundamentally different place (and an exponentially worse one) than it was and we just might be down to our last election to prevent it from becoming an actual fascist state and not the fascist-lite version is has stumbled into recently. There will be two viable choices in virtually every election you will cast a ballot for in November 2020. If you can find it in your brain to vote anything but a straight democratic ticket you are voting for fascism.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Wait. I am? Sh-t.
                    Only if you want the title. But then again, you have posted the most polls outside the lodge.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      Just to be more specific, his plan is really bad because it'd effectively just make everything cost more with the VAT he's proposing to pay for it.

So some of the most vulnerable in society just see their lives get harder under this approach to UBI and it kinda flies in the face of his "human centered capitalism" motto.

That's from Nathan J Robinson's piece which goes into more detail on Yang.
                      Call it sh*tty all you want, but it's definitely not "libertarian".

Comment

Libertarians have proposed similar Yang-like models in the past.

Comment

I get what Joe is saying here, but boy did he manage to turn this into a gaffe in the way that only he can:

Comment

Biden = Mookie?
                            Last edited by trixR4kids; 07-07-2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Biden truly is Vice President Matthews from My Fellow Americans, isn't he?
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                              X