This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New WCHA is dead

Sad. I would like the B6 to pick the castoffs up. They can afford the travel since all the schools are zillionaires due to bb and fb. It would be for the good of the sport.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Sad. I would like the B6 to pick the castoffs up. They can afford the travel since all the schools are zillionaires due to bb and fb. It would be for the good of the sport.
      If the Big Ten schools were interested in the good of the sport they wouldn't have the formed the conference in the first place.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I don't think we have heard the end of the realignment process yet. This is still not a bus league. 3 of the teams are further from BGSU than Huntsville and another 2 are not much different than going to Huntsville for BGSU. Wouldn't be surprised if BGSU and Ferris State split again and pull in Mercyhurst, RMU, Canisius and Niagara as well as Miami and Western Michigan which are poor geographical fits in the NCHC. That could be a bus league with BGSU in the center. Hockey East has it right in that respect. Cost containment is what is happening here. If that were to happen then Air Force and ASU to the NCHC.

In the meantime I would like to see Atlantic Hockey take in UAH on a provisional basis immediately for a balanced schedule. Better for UAH to try that than to be looking at no mans land in a few years anyway. Should Navy opt in to D1 status in the AHC I don't think Atlantic Hockey would change at all.

Comment

As a Michigan Tech fan, I am very saddened by this news. I know the Alaska programs are in a downward spiral for many reasons...but was this really necessary? I would like to see the numbers. And I think UAH has been coming along slowly but surely. This is like a family splitting up over a divorce. I hope a reconciliation can be worked out. UAH and Alaska schools, I feel your pain right now. Knowing the MTU athletic staff, I have to think this must have been a painful choice to go along with the other 6 schools in order to survive...Tech has always been about supporting the sport, the athletes, and the college hockey family.

There must be another angle or more to this story...
          Last edited by Madison Husky; 06-28-2019, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
            The only sane solution, it would seem to me. I never understood why UAF wanted to rebrand themselves to disassociate with the UA system.
            I don't have a dog in this fight but I always preferred the Alaska-Fairbanks moniker rather than Univ of Alaska.
            CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              I’d be supportive of UAF announcing its withdrawal from the WCHA on Monday, effective immediately. We can use the money we save from not having to pay for the other ungrateful seven to travel to AK to pay the withdrawal penalty.

Enjoy your bus league, and try not to run over anybody else with that bus. ✌️
              Here's my biggest question: Nobody put a gun to anyone's head in the late 80s and forced the CCHA and WCHA to flirt with the Alaska schools and eventually allow them into conference membership. And this was at a much much "poorer" time in college hockey, way before the Big 14 Network and affiliated television revenue. The sport is much much richer now but we are unwilling to support smaller schools who wanted to play big time hockey. WHAT HAPPENED
              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
                There must be another angle or more to this story...
                Well, here's the last few years of tax documents (except for 2018). https://projects.propublica.org/nonp...ions/416042580

It appears 2017 was actually profitable.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                  or maybe it’s…
                  …the Alaska schools need to “step up” or “step out.” Of course, stepping up must not include the fact that the Alaska schools highly subsidize each and every team’s travel to Alaska, and that both Alaska schools pay the full cost for all their own travel without subsidy. I’m not sure how to quantify the “fatigue factor” associated with traveling to Alaska once, maybe twice a year when we haven’t tried quantifying that for the seven or eight times we travel outside every year. Good thing the kids that are lucky enough to move to the next level don’t have a lot of travel. B.S.
                  Immediately after BGSU Hockey was saved from elimination, the University announced a very public fundraising effort to sustain the program (personally I think the goal was too low). Huntsville was eliminated until their donors stepped up and saved that program. All the hockey world is seeing from the state of Alaska is "legislature this, legislature that,* and none of it sounds convincing enough that either will be very competitive for long. Huntsville seems to be making progress in the right direction, albeit slowly.

I'd be very surprised if the three teams left out had no knowledge this was coming. It's now on those schools to end any speculation on the sustainability of their programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    I believe UAA paid around between $15000-16000 PLUS hotel costs. That goes pretty far in paying for a teams trip up, IMO.
                    Per team? Annually? I don't get it.
                    CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                      Per team, per trip.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Per team that travels to Alaska. The Fairbanks number is closer to $20,000 plus hotel. Anybody accusing UAF or UAA of not stepping up to support hockey is gloriously clueless.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Yes! These scumbags are destroying college hockey so they can pursue TV ratings from idiots in central Illinois who never gave a **** about hockey until their school's administrators told them to enjoy it because these admins could make tons of money of it. F them.
                          CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            Per team that travels to Alaska. The Fairbanks number is closer to $20,000 plus hotel. Anybody accusing UAF or UAA of not stepping up to support hockey is gloriously clueless.
                            UAF pays $20k per visit for a conference home weekend?
                            CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

UAF pays $20k per visit for a conference home weekend?
                              Yup.
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                Per team, per trip.
                                ****!
                                CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Working...
                                X