Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 755

Thread: New WCHA is dead

  1. #81
    Seeing Other People
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    263

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Does Bob Daniels retire immediately rather than go through this garbage?

  2. #82
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,763

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    From an outside perspective, I am having trouble seeing how the Alaska schools were planning on existing in 5 years based on the funding cuts that have been made by the legislature. And this is just a year removed to where it seemed that there was serious question as to whether there would be a "next year" for both schools' programs. What am I failing to see with how I'm interpreting these recent events? What has been done to secure the future?

    Also, is there any financial burden that would have been taken on by the 7 breakaway schools if the Alaska schools (or Huntsville, albeit a seemingly much unlikelier scenario) had pulled the plug and left the group sitting by themselves anyway? Usually it's better to be proactive instead of reactive, even though the end result is the same.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Not quite. If they move to D2 and wait the 3-4 year phase in period, they'll be eligible for both men's D1 (via the D2 no championship exception) and women's NC championships.
    I believe they’d have to move their whole athletic program to D-2.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    808
    Seriously, nobody should be surprised. I mentioned several years ago that BG wasn't happy and was looking at other solutions. They didn't keep the rights to the CCHA name for posterity's sake. Primarily it's the 2 trips to Alaska every year that is the biggest issue. I don't care how much the schools pay right now, it's still a huge expense in money and time. One trip per year wasn't bad but two is not really sustainable. I feel bad for the 3 schools that are affected by this but I think it's the best solution for the the future of the remaining 7. If that sounds cold, I apologize but it is what it is. BG found a way to survive when faced with adversity and I wish UAA, UAF, and UAH the same success.

  5. #85
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,165
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    From an outside perspective, I am having trouble seeing how the Alaska schools were planning on existing in 5 years based on the funding cuts that have been made by the legislature. And this is just a year removed to where it seemed that there was serious question as to whether there would be a "next year" for both schools' programs. What am I failing to see with how I'm interpreting these recent events? What has been done to secure the future?

    Also, is there any financial burden that would have been taken on by the 7 breakaway schools if the Alaska schools (or Huntsville, albeit a seemingly much unlikelier scenario) had pulled the plug and left the group sitting by themselves anyway? Usually it's better to be proactive instead of reactive, even though the end result is the same.
    UAA was securing their future by moving on campus and shedding a $25k per game cost for arena rental plus an increase in revenue from concessions and parking, the revenue lost to capacity is likely negligible. Plus not having to maintain two different facilities.

    These budget cuts announced today are almost likely not permanent either being overridden on the veto or reinstated with the Capital Budget, today was just typical political posturing because Republicans hate education.

  6. #86
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,165
    Quote Originally Posted by BGFan View Post
    Seriously, nobody should be surprised. I mentioned several years ago that BG wasn't happy and was looking at other solutions. They didn't keep the rights to the CCHA name for posterity's sake. Primarily it's the 2 trips to Alaska every year that is the biggest issue. I don't care how much the schools pay right now, it's still a huge expense in money and time. One trip per year wasn't bad but two is not really sustainable. I feel bad for the 3 schools that are affected by this but I think it's the best solution for the the future of the remaining 7. If that sounds cold, I apologize but it is what it is. BG found a way to survive when faced with adversity and I wish UAA, UAF, and UAH the same success.
    F- off. Your selfish program just killed three others. These problems could’ve been negotiated and fixed but instead your program just went behind the back and stabbed three programs in the back.

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    23,705

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    I remember there was a big deal when I was at WMU in the early 2000s that at one point UAF was to "stop subsidizing conference visitor trips" to Fairbanks or at least adjust this. Is this accurate? Did this ever happen and if so what is difference in UAF costs from then and now?
    Anchorage was either able to stop making payments to the WCHA or never had to based on their terms of membership. Fairbanks, on the other hand, was bent over a barrel by the CCHA and had to keep making payments until the CCHA dissolved. There was much teeth gnashing over Anchorage having to make payments once again (or start making payments, I forget which) when the New WCHA was formed.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  8. #88

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    23,705

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    ... I am having trouble seeing how the Alaska schools were planning on existing in 5 years based on the funding cuts that have been made by the legislature. ...
    The bombshell cuts were announced *today* by the Alaska legislature. They had flirted with it a year or two ago, but both schools undertook their own cuts to minimize any legislative cuts ahead of time. (or so I recall)
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,552
    Quote Originally Posted by fr. joe View Post
    When the Ivies eventually split from the ECAC (and they will...) , this is how they'll do it.
    This whole move reeks of the 'Ivy league' hubris.
    Ha when is this happening?

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    F- off. Your selfish program just killed three others. These problems could’ve been negotiated and fixed but instead your program just went behind the back and stabbed three programs in the back.
    A "selfish" program would've jumped to the NCHC with Mankato when they came calling.

    I look for this to be a merger of sorts between the WCHA, NCHC, and AHA when it's all said and done.

  11. #91
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,165
    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    The bombshell cuts were announced *today* by the Alaska legislature. They had flirted with it a year or two ago, but both schools undertook their own cuts to minimize any legislative cuts ahead of time. (or so I recall)
    The funding cuts were announced by the Governor in a line item veto. The Legislature has no part in this.

  12. #92
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,165
    Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
    A "selfish" program would've jumped to the NCHC with Mankato when they came calling.

    I look for this to be a merger of sorts between the WCHA, NCHC, and AHA when it's all said and done.
    This isn’t a merger, it’s an execution.

  13. #93

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,198

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    UAF’s statement on this carnage.

    https://alaskananooks.com/news/2019/...from-wcha.aspx

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    Thought it would happen eventually but not as soon as it did. This league must have been bleeding red ink way more than anyone thought. Doesn't help that the two Alaska schools are on perennial life support.

    Does this kill the UAH arena plans?

    https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2019/6/...filiation.aspx
    Might as well kill the women's league while they are at it....

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    I’d be supportive of UAF announcing its withdrawal from the WCHA on Monday, effective immediately. We can use the money we save from not having to pay for the other ungrateful seven to travel to AK to pay the withdrawal penalty.

    Enjoy your bus league, and try not to run over anybody else with that bus. ✌️
    Don't get uppity now, look at the Gold Panners...

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by bravohankins View Post
    I know that BG has about zero interest in continuing with the Alaska trips......not just the financial aspect but also what those trips do to the the team the week after. Bergeron talked numerous times about the after effects of Alaska trips and how they really mess you up for two weeks of play fatigue wise.

    College hockey just doesn't work in Alaska...there are no schools close enough to make it feasible and they seem to be on a shoestring budget every single year as well. The on campus 700 person rink move was probably the nail in the coffin for AA.

    Speaking of Bergeron.....it wil be interesting to see what this move does to Miami. Beregeron is an old CCHA guy and he might want to be in a league with less travel and BG as a rival again. Not mention easier to rebuild a program in a league were you don't play UMD, UND and Denver 12+ times a year.......
    Wow, lower 48'ers lol. Whiny bunch you are. What happened in junior's? What's gonna happen if players make it to the next level? Lol.

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,677
    Quote Originally Posted by pdt1081 View Post
    A "selfish" program would've jumped to the NCHC with Mankato when they came calling.

    I look for this to be a merger of sorts between the WCHA, NCHC, and AHA when it's all said and done.
    Minnesota State applied and was rejected by the NCHC.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Per team, per trip.
    25 people times $600 for airfare is $15,000. Add hotel rooms plus food for a weeks and it would cost significantly more than $16,000. Add to that the trouble that is caused with school and hockey with that kind of travel disruption. I am bummed by the news, and disappointed in the WCHA but I can understand why. Hell, you ever try to talk your relatives into coming for a visit? It's like we are on Venus or something.

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Minnesota State applied and was rejected by the NCHC.
    Yes. When Mankato applied, the NCHC came to BGSU and asked if they'd come too. They said "no," then Mankato was denied.

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Given the circumstances, the statement is remarkably calm & classy.

    Sifting through the clues, hoping somehow there might be a diamond in the rough:

    1. Maybe the two year period isn't a hard deadline. Maybe it has more to do with dodging exit fees whenever the end comes. If the end date is more negotiable than it first appears, perhaps the current arrangement would continue in some form until the three affected schools have viable alternatives.

    2. Regarding new schools in the Pacific Coast area, Chancellor White might be just wishing & hoping. But if ASU would be willing to be part of a "PCHA," that would be a start toward forming something new. If 3 more PAC-12 schools took the plunge, a 6 team league might be viable as a medium term solution.

    Yeah, I know. Seems hopelessly optimistic. But I do hope the Alaska schools continue to play for at least the two promised seasons, leaving no stones unturned during those 24 months.

    As for Huntsville: If AHA is actually an option, I would think that transition would be very doable within a two year timeframe.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •