Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: New WCHA is dead

I got the juice

Re: New WCHA is dead

I know Iím not the only one who hopes the Alaska schools kick the snot out of everyone these last years. Play with the rage in your heart

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    A major problem was that in the old WCHA, once Minnesota and Wisconsin left, the schools that were spending a lot of money on hockey were in a distinct minority compared with those operating on a more bare bones budget. Then, at the WCHA meeting, those small schools negotiated a new deal with the Commissioner, someone that schools like UND and DU were unhappy with because he shared the same view as the small schools in terms of spending money. That was the final straw and pushed DU, UND, CC and UMD to say they had enough.
    What's interesting is how it would have shaken out had NMU accepted the WCHA's initial offer in 2009. But, that deal that brought BSU and UNO to the WCHA had a stipulation that neither of the two schools would receive revenue sharing from the league until two years *after* they joined.
    In other words, no WCHA money until 2011, the year the NCHC was announced, and the WCHA imploded. NMU turned down the offer because of the revenue clause and its on-ice rivalries and alumni get togethers were Michigan based.

Then, Pegula announced Penn State was going D1 the summer of 2010.

Were DU, CC, NoDak, and tUMD already pi**ed back in 2009 at McLeod for offering spots to BSU and NMU/UNO?

Because it was a mere four months from the (expected) B1G Conference announcement to when the NCHC was announced with six teams.

Quote Originally Posted by BGFan View Post
    Believe what you want. The dominoes started falling at the formation of the Big Ten and the knee jerk formation of the NCHC. The leftovers of the CCHA and WCHA were forced to form the nWCHA in order too survive. Anyone who thought that the current landscape would and could continue as it stands needs a new pair of glasses. Travel costs are outrages and budgets are tight (especially for schools that are D1 in all sports). Shrinking the conference to a more manageable area makes budgetary sense. I would also be surprised if we don't see more shifting before all of this is done.
    I never understood why anyone takes blame for the whole disaster besides the Big Ten. Everyone was generally happy with their situation including most of the Big Ten hockey fans, but they couldn't leave well enough alone.

All these other dominoes falling were inevitable. I don't really blame anyone in the NCHC and I don't blame the seven schools now except for the shady way they handled it.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broncoinak View Post
    I never understood why anyone takes blame for the whole disaster besides the Big Ten. Everyone was generally happy with their situation including most of the Big Ten hockey fans, but they couldn't leave well enough alone.

All these other dominoes falling were inevitable. I don't really blame anyone in the NCHC and I don't blame the seven schools now except for the shady way they handled it.
    I'm not sure how this is shady? Because it was at 5pm on a Friday? I'm not sure how that announcement is any different than what the NCHC did?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Trying to follow the puck

A difference--which may not amount to anything--between 2011 and now is that the NCHC sprang suddenly into existence while the seven WCHA schools announced a new conference that might/probably exist in 2021.
    Go Falcons!

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I'm not sure how this is shady? Because it was at 5pm on a Friday? I'm not sure how that announcement is any different than what the NCHC did?
    Trolling? The shady seven did it behind UA_, UAA, and UAH's backs.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    The Wildcats are getting NCAA hockey, too? Wow!

oops! Arizona State I meant! but, really, its time for UofA to step up and do NCAA Div I hockey too!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    What if this is all about getting their attention to open dialog for there to be changes? Were the NCHC teams shady? At what point are you supposed to tell someone you're leaving? Do you tell your boss you're looking at other jobs or do you tell your boss when you have another job and you're leaving? Is either of those shady? They are being upfront and honest about their potential intentions to leave by the rules of the bylaws as far as I can tell.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    What would be different had the Alaska schools known? The financial issues in Alaska have had the two teams in dire straits for the last few years. Then the Governor, also on that Friday, announced 135 million in cuts to the University of Alaska system. Unfortunately the two teams may not make it the two years. I hope I am wrong as I hate to see any program die off.

let the snarking and trolling begin! I'd like to see whatever the new league name is get transformed into something as good NaCHos. Even the coaches call it that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Maybe this is all a ploy by the 10 schools involved to make sure Alabama and Alaska properly support these 3 institutions?

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    What if this is all about getting their attention to open dialog for there to be changes? Were the NCHC teams shady? At what point are you supposed to tell someone you're leaving? Do you tell your boss you're looking at other jobs or do you tell your boss when you have another job and you're leaving? Is either of those shady? They are being upfront and honest about their potential intentions to leave by the rules of the bylaws as far as I can tell.
    Upfront? They literally did a 5pm Friday news dump and then referred all questions to an outside party.

Maybe this is all a ploy by the 10 schools involved to make sure Alabama and Alaska properly support these 3 institutions?
    Just because you keep saying it doesnít mean itís true.

ďHey! Properly support your teams! You wonít have a conference to play in to fully justify that support but do it!Ē

Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    let the snarking and trolling begin! I'd like to see whatever the new league name is get transformed into something as good NaCHos. Even the coaches call it that.
    I may be wrong but I'm betting on the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (catchy name, btw).

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Upfront? They literally did a 5pm Friday news dump and then referred all questions to an outside party.
    What does the timing of the news dump change, would the story or outcome have changed? For the ten relatively small cities involved, it was going to be a big news event regardless of the date they announced their intent to form their own conference.

Will it become the LWCHA - Less Western College Hockey Assoc.?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Shouldn't the ploy also include LSSU and FSU?
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    What does the timing of the news dump change, would the story or outcome have changed? For the ten relatively small cities involved, it was going to be a big news event regardless of the date they announced their intent to form their own conference.

Will it become the LWCHA - Less Western College Hockey Assoc.?
    The timing meant that the involved wouldnít have to comment on it directly for at least 3 days, in reality itís more because this week is a holiday week. By doing it they essentially force the press to not come to them directly and go to their hired gun.

Section T since 1978

Iíve avoided chipping in until now. The current WCHA is composed of mostly D2 schools with three at a distance. From an academic point students miss more class time (lots of air options to Alaska in the summer, not so much in the winter). From an athletic point 1-2 trips to Alaska each year. A game starting at 7 Alaska time is 11 or midnight for the visitors. I can understand why the other 7 want to avoid these.

So whatís next in my humble view...

Big 10 is expecting Illinois to pull the trigger soon...if Illinois pulls out they might take Arizona State or stay at 7.
    Hockey East - Arizona State could end up here as strange as it sounds.
    Atlantic - best landing spot for Alabama. If not here they would have to hope the 7 let them stay or go independent again.
    NCHC - I donít see any changes unless someone (WMU or Miami) wants out and Arizona wants in.
    ECAC - no changes unless Ivy breaks away.

Alaska schools - I donít see how both can survive. The best option might be to drop one and then try to convince the 7 to let the other stay since it would now be 1 trip a year. If that were to fail they would find it difficult to be successful as an independent as I canít see how they could get more than a handful of home games.

That said, I would hope at least 2 of the 3 left out can find a way to continue.

I enjoy seeing some Tech fans try to justify/rationalize the action of their university since people are calling it shady. No sanctimonious high ground anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    Shouldn't the ploy also include LSSU and FSU?
    Yup. I canít wait to see what school is next that BG and Mankato deems unworthy.

Thread Information