Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 755

Thread: New WCHA is dead

  1. #381

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAce View Post
    Much has been said about cost and travel, but I firmly believe that a major consideration for the WCHA making this drastic move is the fact that the three schools being eliminated are not competitive. Bottom line is that this lack of being competitive hurts every team in the conference when it comes down to the all important PairWise rankings.
    I love (sarcasm) that three down years constitutes being uncompetitive.

    Six teams have made (or would have qualified based on standings) the WCHA playoffs each season since realignment: Mankato, Tech, NMU, Bowling Green, Bemidji, and...Fairbanks. Suddenly Ferris State and Lake Superior wanting to take a creamy dump on UAF makes a ton more sense.

    This isn’t about being uncompetitive. It’s about travel and geography, plain and simple. If it was about being competitive then that $120k that UAF is slated to blow on the six WCHA teams traveling north this coming season would instead be used to beef up recruiting, assistant salaries, facilities...you know, all the things that help a program be more competitive.

    Besides, none of this is a done deal. If ASU doesn’t wind up as a B1G affiliate, the NCHC is the next most obvious landing spot once their arena gets figured out. If that happens, you can bet Mankato is going to go full “Why Western” mode to get that 10th spot (nor would I blame them).

  2. #382
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Calumet, MI
    Posts
    94

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    https://www.miningjournal.net/sports...ngs-out-after/

    When asked if he felt if Huntsville had a chance to become the eighth team to even out the new seven-team conference, Kurtz said that should be more of a national discussion.

    “I think that’s a great question, but I think that’s a question that has to be addressed on a national level,” he said. “If college hockey wants all 60 schools to be viable, then a discussion has to take place on how to best make that happen for all 60 schools.”

  3. #383
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,046

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I hope this isn't an issue because: 1) Things are cyclical. It was just a few years ago that Alaska qualified for home ice 2 years in a row (though there was the NCAA penalty one of those years); and 2) Someone has to finish last. I think finances have to be the big driving force here. While those three schools have struggled a bit, the league has still been able to grab at-large bids in '14, '15, '18, and '19, so I don't think it's accurate to say those schools are killing our Pairwise.
    Another reason I miss that Pairwise tool at slack.net It would be easy to subtract the UA(A, F H) games from the results and see what the new pairwise are.

    So a potential veto override vote is next week? What are the odds of that happening?

  4. #384
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,258

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Another reason I miss that Pairwise tool at slack.net It would be easy to subtract the UA(A, F H) games from the results and see what the new pairwise are.

    So a potential veto override vote is next week? What are the odds of that happening?
    I really don't think it would make much difference. The games that kill you from a Pairwise perspective are the losses (Yeah, I know. Captain Obvious.). PLAYING a team in the bottom 10 doesn't hurt your Pairwise. LOSING TO a team in the bottom 10 hurts you. Our conference has suffered more in the Pairwise from the fact that the NCHC has beaten us like a drum. We've tended to do OK against the other conferences.

  5. #385
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    4,112

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crkd3ASK-1A

    yeah, based on the letter and the video... they seem to have bigger fish to fry then hockey...
    Alaska's governor's nice little video. Full dividend checks for everyone!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZMtzSicGsI
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  6. #386

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I hope this isn't an issue because: 1) Things are cyclical. It was just a few years ago that Alaska qualified for home ice 2 years in a row (though there was the NCAA penalty one of those years); and 2) Someone has to finish last. I think finances have to be the big driving force here. While those three schools have struggled a bit, the league has still been able to grab at-large bids in '14, '15, '18, and '19, so I don't think it's accurate to say those schools are killing our Pairwise.
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

    Let’s take a look at last season’s non-conference records for the seven breakaways...

    Bemidji State: 2-4-2
    Bowling Green: 5-1-1
    Ferris State: 2-4-0
    Lake Superior: 4-1-0
    Michigan Tech: 1-5-1
    Mankato: 5-2-1
    Northern Michigan: 1-6-0

    You want to get a better PWR, win. Period.

  7. #387

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,204

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    When local media calls you out, that’s usually a good sign something was handled poorly.

    Conference conspiracies are a bad look for college athletics
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

    —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

  8. #388
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Alaska's governor's nice little video. Full dividend checks for everyone!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZMtzSicGsI
    Guy's a complete moron. And he got elected by promising free money to a bunch of idiots who then go rail against "socialism" as if the PFD isn't a shining example.

  9. #389

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,204

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoinak View Post
    Guy's a complete moron. And he got elected by promising free money to a bunch of idiots who then go rail against "socialism" as if the PFD isn't a shining example.
    At least his rich brother (who bankrolled his entire campaign from Texas) paid for him to get a tailor. When he was a state senator he used to walk around in the capitol wearing a suit that was so long it would slide underneath his shoes.

    You would have thought Sarah Palin was enough of an example why electing somebody from Wasilla to a statewide office up there is a terrible idea.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

    —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

  10. #390
    Follow me on Twitter: @Biddco Biddco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Posts
    8,872

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crkd3ASK-1A

    yeah, based on the letter and the video... they seem to have bigger fish to fry then hockey...
    This. UAA and UAF are in serious trouble as viable academic institutions
    tUMD Hockey

    "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

  11. #391
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    When local media calls you out, that’s usually a good sign something was handled poorly.

    Conference conspiracies are a bad look for college athletics
    Tags on that one are spicy.

    Tags
    Chad Courrier Cowardice Mass Communication Deceit Share Twitter Option Conference Internet Sport Official Boner Public Relations Statement Law Politics League Realignment Tactic Peer News Wcha Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference

  12. #392
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,636

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

    Let’s take a look at last season’s non-conference records for the seven breakaways...

    Bemidji State: 2-4-2
    Bowling Green: 5-1-1
    Ferris State: 2-4-0
    Lake Superior: 4-1-0
    Michigan Tech: 1-5-1
    Mankato: 5-2-1
    Northern Michigan: 1-6-0

    You want to get a better PWR, win. Period.
    20-23-5 is not insurmountable. 1-22-1 on top of it would be.

  13. #393
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,593

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Hasn't Navy been rumored to AH since the current middies were in diapers?...
    That rumor has been making the rounds ever since the Brits tried to sail into Baltimore Harbor. All due respect to Messrs. Trefzger and Connelly but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  14. #394
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    4,112

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    That rumor has been making the rounds ever since the Brits tried to sail into Baltimore Harbor. All due respect to Messrs. Trefzger and Connelly but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I thought they flew into BWI..... (sorry, couldn't resist)
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  15. #395
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Findlay, OH USA
    Posts
    498

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    I thought they flew into BWI..... (sorry, couldn't resist)
    Great comment!

  16. #396

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    20-23-5 is not insurmountable. 1-22-1 on top of it would be.
    It is when 70% of those 20 wins are from three teams. Not coincidental that the two WCHA teams who made the NCAA’s last year were a combined 10-3-2 in non-conference play. The only team from last season who can make the grievance that the collective WCHA PWR screwed them out of an at-large bid is Lake Superior, who had some bad conference losses that knocked them down. As presently constructed, this new league still looks a lot like a two-bid league unless the teams not named Mankato step it up on an annual basis.

    And for the record...I will freely admit UAF’s non-conference record is not helpful. We had something like a top-5 difficult non-conference schedule last season: ASU (when nobody knew they’d be good), St. Cloud and Denver. I get the aspiration to beat top teams, but I’d rather we schedule more winnable games. But hey, none of that may even matter anymore.

  17. #397
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,258

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    It is when 70% of those 20 wins are from three teams. Not coincidental that the two WCHA teams who made the NCAA’s last year were a combined 10-3-2 in non-conference play. The only team from last season who can make the grievance that the collective WCHA PWR screwed them out of an at-large bid is Lake Superior, who had some bad conference losses that knocked them down. As presently constructed, this new league still looks a lot like a two-bid league unless the teams not named Mankato step it up on an annual basis.

    And for the record...I will freely admit UAF’s non-conference record is not helpful. We had something like a top-5 difficult non-conference schedule last season: ASU (when nobody knew they’d be good), St. Cloud and Denver. I get the aspiration to beat top teams, but I’d rather we schedule more winnable games. But hey, none of that may even matter anymore.
    Agreed. NMU was third in WCHA play, but missed the tournament...not because of the Alaska schools or Huntsville, but because they went 1-6 in non-con games. Our Pairwise problems are solved when we can go .500 against the NCHC and Big.

  18. #398
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    09 43.19N 83 16.19W
    Posts
    6,859

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Why on earth would anyone hire Kurtz. The guy is a total D***. What the heck does he mean by global hockey commnity decision. I'll tell you. What he means is, NO. and he is just too dang afraid and too much of a coward to say it.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  19. #399
    Drunkard
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Promised Land
    Posts
    17,576
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    I thought they flew into BWI..... (sorry, couldn't resist)
    They couldn’t. We had taken over the airports by then.

  20. #400
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,046

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    They couldn’t. We had taken over the airports by then.
    Give me free airline miles or give me death!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •