Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: New WCHA is dead

Re: New WCHA is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    You also have to accept the fact that if one of the 6 institutions struggles and suddenly needs to drop hockey or decides to try to get into NCHC (and succeeds) you lose your autobid. This is why most leagues throughout history have been at least 8 teams.
    can't disagree...

so who would be the other team to make it the magnificent eight?

UAH? one of the western-most AHA schools? ASU? [boy do i wish it was UMD]

or will these seven schools not even be together when the dust settles?

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    can't disagree...

so who would be the other team to make it the magnificent eight?

UAH? one of the western-most AHA schools? ASU? [boy do i wish it was UMD]

or will these seven schools not even be together when the dust settles?
    its quite possibly the latter, but I think the obvious answer is UAH is a fall back with their expectation being they'll get St. Thomas when the Tommies are forced to move up to D2 after they get removed from the MIAC and don't really have a place to go in D3.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

its quite possibly the latter, but I think the obvious answer is UAH is a fall back with their expectation being they'll get St. Thomas when the Tommies are forced to move up to D2 after they get removed from the MIAC and don't really have a place to go in D3.
    their arena sits 1,400... how would that work?

do they also need to commit to a new rink?

Details:
    Built in 2003
    Capacity: 1,400

The St. Thomas Ice Arena is located in Mendota Heights, Minnesota, and is the home to both the St. Thomas Academy Cadets and the University of St. Thomas Tommies. The facility has a capacity of 1,400 fans, and was opened in November of 2003. Free parking is available outside the facility, and concessions are available in the heated lobby.

and, or but, if getting into the tourney is really the goal, create three six/six+ team conferences for three bids;

1. MSU/BSU/MTU/NMU/LSSU/FSU

2. BGSU/RMU/MU/CC/NU/RIT

3. THE REST OF THE AHA SCHOOLS

and maybe there is a way to place air force in a better spot... and maybe even include UAH into all of this.
    There was actually a somewhat similar proposal being floated by coaches a few years back that includes one of the UA- (F,A or H) schools in each conference for a 3 league 7 teams each arrangement. Play each school in your conference 4x, then one school from each of the others 2x.

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

their arena sits 1,400... how would that work?

do they also need to commit to a new rink?

Details:
    Built in 2003
    Capacity: 1,400

The St. Thomas Ice Arena is located in Mendota Heights, Minnesota, and is the home to both the St. Thomas Academy Cadets and the University of St. Thomas Tommies. The facility has a capacity of 1,400 fans, and was opened in November of 2003. Free parking is available outside the facility, and concessions are available in the heated lobby.
    Touting a heated lobby makes it sound like The Dee.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    There was actually a somewhat similar proposal being floated by coaches a few years back that includes one of the UA- (F,A or H) schools in each conference for a 3 league 7 teams each arrangement. Play each school in your conference 4x, then one school from each of the others 2x.
    I like that alignment but unfortunately it sounds like it would be 6-6-7 with the AK mess.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oooh yeah, time to break out the interlock spreadsheets again!

That said, the lesson of the CHA is "get more than six teams or you'll be down to 20 league games beating on each other all the dang time".

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Most of the big schools charter rather than take a flight. it leaves right from your town and lands right at their town, but it is a lot more costly. Wisconsin charters from Madison to Houghton believe it or not, a 20 minute flight.
    They also would have their bus driven up from Madison to meet them at the Houghton County Airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Most of the big schools charter rather than take a flight. it leaves right from your town and lands right at their town, but it is a lot more costly. Wisconsin charters from Madison to Houghton believe it or not, a 20 minute flight.
    Madison to Houghton is not a 20 min flight.. the leftovers are not big schools they will takes the school bus.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Madison to Houghton is not a 20 min flight.. the leftovers are not big schools they will takes the school bus.
    MSN to CMX is a 41 min flight.

r

BG chartered to Houghton last season.

Madison to Houghton is roughly 300 miles. A 20 min. flight would require a speed of 900 mph

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheDee View Post
    Madison to Houghton is roughly 300 miles. A 20 min. flight would require a speed of 900 mph
    Hey now, let's not let facts get in the way of dramatic opinion about how simple/easy something is...

Unrelated subject, I get the feeling that ASU is no longer on the minds of the Secret Seven. If UAH isn't in the mix when they already have a rink ASU better start to find a conference home quick because their options are running out.

Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy Man View Post
    They also would have their bus driven up from Madison to meet them at the Houghton County Airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As you would expect, the women hockey Badgers do the same in route to Bemidji. :-)

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Hey now, let's not let facts get in the way of dramatic opinion about how simple/easy something is...

Unrelated subject, I get the feeling that ASU is no longer on the minds of the Secret Seven. If UAH isn't in the mix when they already have a rink ASU better start to find a conference home quick because their options are running out.

Ryan
    Their window won't close however. They will get a home with the other D-1's whenever they get around to building their rink. They've shown that they are willing to have the program be a "loss leader" as an independent.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Their window won't close however. They will get a home with the other D-1's whenever they get around to building their rink. They've shown that they are willing to have the program be a "loss leader" as an independent.
    the big advantage they have is what team wouldn't want to spend a weekend in Arizona during hockey season?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...

the big advantage they have is what team wouldn't want to spend a weekend in Arizona during hockey season?
    That and they are also talking to teams that are willing to fly anyways as well, so distance isn't a factor. They will have a home in the Nacho or B1G...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Professional Tractor Puller

in regard to the possible formation of a newnewWCHA;

could RIT be considered as an eight member joining the magnificent seven?

RIT is much closer to BGSU then UAH. and its about the same for BSU (the furthest team from UAH) to travel to either.
    I imagine the first step would be to see what Miami and Western Michigan want to do. After that, then perhaps the CCHA 2.0 looks east to schools like RIT.

My impression is that RIT has a strong program that could be a good fit. But I also imagine they might like to have at least one other nearby school with them in the CCHA 2.0, and I honestly don't know which of the Atlantic programs might be interested in switching leagues.

For that matter, do we have reason to think RIT would want to switch?
    Bowling Green: 1984 National Champion

For whatever its worth RIT is supposed to be a somewhat regular opponent on BGs schedule going forward.

Why take UAH back as the 8th team? We study the effects of travel on our student-athletes. I would not have guessed that busing would be easier than flying.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Thread Information