Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 755

Thread: New WCHA is dead

  1. #521
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    17,086

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    Sounds like it was a ****ing match between some who wanted the Special Session in Juneau, but some wanted it in Wasilla. The ones who didn't get it where they wanted it didn't show up.

    (Edit, trying to follow all of this, I got lost on whether it is actually in Wasilla or Juneau).....
    what a stupid ****ing match, the capitol is in Juneau, why on earth would a special session be held somewhere else?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  2. #522
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    813

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    I find it very hard to see how either school continues with any athletics after this. How do you justify spending on athletics when around 700 of 1562 employees at UAA are being laid off and 40 degree programs are being eliminated? Students from around Alaska have received notice that their admission to UA has been placed on hold pending today's actions. With the veto being sustained, those students won't be enrolled.
    This goes so far beyond college hockey at this point. Good way to screw over all those incoming students. Good way to screw over current students in the middle of their degree program... Good way to make a really good name for yourself as a state as a whole (Not!).... So very sad for so many
    Last edited by The Troll mtu86; 07-10-2019 at 04:50 PM.

  3. #523
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    801

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    If the AK schools do in fact lose their programs, which I don't see any way they can keep them, I sure hope the Rogue 7 think long and hard about following through with plans to leave UAH stranded with nowhere to go. C'mon NCAA hockey, you're better than this!

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  4. #524
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,857

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    If the AK schools do in fact lose their programs, which I don't see any way they can keep them, I sure hope the Rogue 7 think long and hard about following through with plans to leave UAH stranded with nowhere to go. C'mon NCAA hockey, you're better than this!

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    this is the skinny.......the new Chicken Chit H. A. is a Motor Lodge Bus league ...............

    1. We don't go below the Mason Dixon Line.

    2. The UAH arena is way too fancy, mixed drinks, buku draft beers, table service ............. with our wall scoreboards, low ceilings and arraignment bench seating..... it makes us all look like the hicks we are.

    3. The Hotel is way too nice, elevators, free pregame cocktail hour,free limo rides to and from arena ...... We like walk ups, but love one story with outside doors and where taco bell is the real mexican food ...We is Tom Bodett country.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.


    Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

    I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

  5. #525
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,597

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    Rather typical. Gutless politicians on both sides of the aisle. We want something nobody likes, but we don't want to go on record for it.. go run and hide and blame everyone else..
    That's incredibly disingenuous. There are 38 members of the legislature - Democrats, Republicans and Independents - meeting in the capitol. There are 22 Republicans hiding in a middle school in Wasilla (appropriate since they are acting like sixth-graders instead of adults) refusing to vote. The budget passed 20-0 in the state senate. There are only 14 senators in the session today. Why aren't those other six there to explain why the budget no longer has their support?

  6. #526
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    6,027

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    I'm going to ask about the worst case scenario here:

    Alaska schools can't get their funding. What now?

    Obviously Athletics get the axe as the schools try and make a budget. How does this effect the rest of the nWCHA? Obviously you can't just delete the Alaska games and keep the schedule balanced. I would assume the nWCHA took the time and made a secondary schedule to address this since this is the 2nd time Alaska has gone through a deal like this now. Are there any legal ramifications for the schools just quitting out of the blue? I assume travel arrangements for the upcoming season are in place already. Can non-AK schools recoup that cash?

    I feel bad for the Alaska schools, but at this point, I'm more worried about NMU taking a hit from this
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  7. #527
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,597

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    The vote is 37-1 to override (14-0 in the Senate, 23-1 in the House) which falls short of the 45 needed.

    I am so sorry for our friends from Alaska. This is a hockey forum, so of course that's the focal point, but this extends to so much more than just hockey - or even the athletics department or even the university.

    The college hockey world is about to drop to 58 teams and we are one step closer to a 14-team national tournament.

  8. #528
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    813

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    There are 22 Republicans hiding in a middle school in Wasilla (appropriate since they are acting like sixth-graders instead of adults) refusing to vote.
    I don't disagree with this.

    Now allow me to elaborate on my statement. You have one group of politicians acting like sixth graders who refuse to go and vote at the capital (where logic says it should be). So let's say their vote, or non-vote isn't on record. Now you have a second group of politicians who while technically right as to where the vote should be held refuses to come off their moral high ground and go to that middle school and have a vote that counts... so again their votes aren't really on record, or at least any record that counts. Both groups get to point fingers and say "it's all their fault"

    So two groups of politicians standing around with their d**k$ in their hands, **$$ing on each other while the education system burns... seems pretty gutless to me.

  9. #529
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    I'm going to ask about the worst case scenario here:

    Alaska schools can't get their funding. What now?

    Obviously Athletics get the axe as the schools try and make a budget. How does this effect the rest of the nWCHA? Obviously you can't just delete the Alaska games and keep the schedule balanced. I would assume the nWCHA took the time and made a secondary schedule to address this since this is the 2nd time Alaska has gone through a deal like this now. Are there any legal ramifications for the schools just quitting out of the blue? I assume travel arrangements for the upcoming season are in place already. Can non-AK schools recoup that cash?

    I feel bad for the Alaska schools, but at this point, I'm more worried about NMU taking a hit from this
    Good luck recouping that cash. If the Alaskas cut the programs, it will be a difficult rescheduling. Take Thanksgiving weekend. BG & Mankato have non-conference. Canít reschedule those. Tech & Ferris are both supposed to fly to Alaska. NMU is scheduled to fly to Huntsville. Bemidji is at LSSU. Neither Tech nor Ferris has an opponent. But you canít just put Tech & Ferris together because they already play four times. Do you reschedule NMUís flight to Nashville/Huntsville? With every domino you turn, three more fall. I could be sitting here with a wasted Fairbanks ticket. If Huntsville is rescheduled, costly flight changes occur. I would hope that the teams that have flights among the other would have those dates protected. But you never know.

  10. #530
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    4,144
    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Good luck recouping that cash. If the Alaskas cut the programs, it will be a difficult rescheduling. Take Thanksgiving weekend. BG & Mankato have non-conference. Canít reschedule those. Tech & Ferris are both supposed to fly to Alaska. NMU is scheduled to fly to Huntsville. Bemidji is at LSSU. Neither Tech nor Ferris has an opponent. But you canít just put Tech & Ferris together because they already play four times. Do you reschedule NMUís flight to Nashville/Huntsville? With every domino you turn, three more fall. I could be sitting here with a wasted Fairbanks ticket. If Huntsville is rescheduled, costly flight changes occur. I would hope that the teams that have flights among the other would have those dates protected. But you never know.
    BSU as six games against the Alaskas this year. They drop and that drops the Beavers from 34 to 28 games....

  11. #531
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    6,027

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    BSU as six games against the Alaskas this year. They drop and that drops the Beavers from 34 to 28 games....
    This was the big concern I had. Some teams have 8 games vs the Alaskas, some have 6. You have a very imbalanced schedule as a result.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  12. #532
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    BSU as six games against the Alaskas this year. They drop and that drops the Beavers from 34 to 28 games....
    Every team has six games against the Alaskas.

  13. #533
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    This was the big concern I had. Some teams have 8 games vs the Alaskas, some have 6. You have a very imbalanced schedule as a result.
    No one has 8 games vs the Alaskas. Some play two series in Alaska, one at home. Some have 2 series at home and one in Alaska. Itís the same with any of the rival pairings, MNSt/BSt, NMU/Tech, LSSU/Ferris and UAH/BG. You have 2 home/2 away vs your ďrivalĒ plus one team from each pair. And you play the one team from each other pair 2 games, with two of those opponents at home and two away.

  14. #534
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    4,144
    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Every team has six games against the Alaskas.
    Thanks. I didn't go out and look and didn't realize everyone had six.

  15. #535
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    6,027

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    No one has 8 games vs the Alaskas. Some play two series in Alaska, one at home. Some have 2 series at home and one in Alaska. It’s the same with any of the rival pairings, MNSt/BSt, NMU/Tech, LSSU/Ferris and UAH/BG. You have 2 home/2 away vs your “rival” plus one team from each pair. And you play the one team from each other pair 2 games, with two of those opponents at home and two away.
    Gotcha. I though getting the double trip was the result of having a home/home with both...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  16. #536
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    8,242

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    I'm trying to remember just how gutted I was when they cut the program and trying to expand how I'd feel if the UAS decided to cut UAH (which is how it seem some days) in half. I'm failing. UAA and UAF fans, I'm thinking of you.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  17. #537
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,744

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    IĎm trying to keep in mind that most hockey fans are truly passionate about the game, and just a whole different breed of animal than university administration.

    But the only pleasure I can see getting out of this is if we dump our season and travel guarantees at the last moment, hopefully when some team is at 30,000 ft somewhere between Minneapolis and Fairbanks, and the conference schedule is a shambles for the rest of the season. OK, I feel better now.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  18. #538
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,597

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    IĎm trying to keep in mind that most hockey fans are truly passionate about the game, and just a whole different breed of animal than university administration.

    But the only pleasure I can see getting out of this is if we dump our season and travel guarantees at the last moment, hopefully when some team is at 30,000 ft somewhere between Minneapolis and Fairbanks, and the conference schedule is a shambles for the rest of the season. OK, I feel better now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA

  19. #539
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    253

    Re: New WCHA is dead

    If UAF and UAA go bye-bye, WCHA go to winning %???..I feel for volleyball..season starts in about a mohth, or suppose to. President Jim Johnsen and Regents set to meet July 15th...GOV and legislature have until Friday at 1259pm to come with plan. Or find the money elswehere for the cuts...

  20. #540
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,752
    Quote Originally Posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    If UAF and UAA go bye-bye, WCHA go to winning %???..I feel for volleyball..season starts in about a mohth, or suppose to. President Jim Johnsen and Regents set to meet July 15th...GOV and legislature have until Friday at 1259pm to come with plan. Or find the money elswehere for the cuts...
    My guess would be that some reschedule work would be done so all teams play an equal number of games. Four teams play Anchorage four times and Fairbanks twice. The other four play the opposite. Each team would lose six games.
    Last edited by davyd83; 07-11-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •